Kitchen Tools

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: Kitchen Tools

Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:10 pm

You never see matchstick fries any more.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:22 am

Mandolin makes 1/8" thick eggplant slices fast work.
One of the main reasons I wanted one.
IMG_20230916_071400113_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:59 pm

Recived mine from Amazon yesterday or the day before but I haven't tried it yet.

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:57 pm

I use my mandolin to slice zucchini mostly. I use it in place of lasagna sheets. Not an attempt to be lower calorie. I use way too much cheese for that illusion to stick :)
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:06 pm

I just ordered that OXO mandolin slicer and now reading the reviews...I almost bought one last year and held off after reading reviews. Every 5th review is "cut myself".

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Well that is silly, that hardly ever happens... :lol:

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:31 am

I know a guy that was out of work for a long time because he sliced his hand somehow cutting cabbage.
It's going to happen so fast you won't even know it till it's too late.
Getting that last little bit isn't worth it.
Sometimes the potato will flip on you putting your hand in harms way.
Then there's the dreaded fingertip slice.
Washing and disassembly can be a hazard.
At the very least get some cut proof gloves.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:57 pm

I just want easy french fries but every fry cutter I've tried is junk and won't cut at all, or gets a bent blade in no time. Or like the one I ordered a few years back - way humongous/oversized for just making fries in the kitchen. I never even unboxed that.
I don't know where my old filet glove got to. Pretty sure that was kevlar.
I picked up some awesome $4.99 HF cut resistant gloves today. I don't know though, I really don't want to get cut over fries. I plan to use for cabbage, too, but...not a whole lot else, at this point. It came already today, I guess I'll know soon if it is truly new or a return with someone's bloody fingerprint on it....

I'll take a good look at it but might well return to JB untried.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:53 pm

Just be smarter than I was and use the hand guard. I was adjusting the blade so I would make a few slices, adjust, make a couple more, adjust, etc. I planned to use the the guard when I got the blade adjusted to the correct thickness, but then I got engrossed in what I was doing, figuring out how to adjust the blade then making trial cuts, etc. By the time I got it just right i forgot about it and just kept going. Just dumb stuff.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:51 am

Maybe I'll buy another eggplant and make my world famous fried eggplant.
Haven't had it in years.
The first time I made it was in Marine boot camp of all places on mess duty.
I didn't wash dishes I cooked if you can believe that and don't ask me how I ended up cooking and not mopping floors or washing dishes.
I think they asked who could cook and I volunteered.
The guys after eating it thought is was some kind of meat and had never heard of eggplant.
Flour.
Egg wash.
Panko bread crumbs.
Hot oil.
I think.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:52 am

The ruffles cutting attachment is a real winner.
They work like the ridges in pasta to hold sauce.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:27 am

I don't know if mine came with that blade. Instructions mostly in Chinese, but a littl English. I will have look later.

Danny
Reactions:

Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 am

Mandolines are useful tools in prep work, we have had mandolines for many, many years. Safety in a kitchen setting is important.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:40 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:59 pm Recived mine from Amazon yesterday or the day before but I haven't tried it yet.
Be careful and always use the pusher they are very sharp right out of the box.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:30 pm

Mandolins are like motorcycles.
Just about when you think you've got it mastered you run into a telephone pole.
Worth

Danny
Reactions:

Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:41 pm

worth1 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:30 pm Mandolins are like motorcycles.
Just about when you think you've got it mastered you run into a telephone pole.
Only if they are an idiot. Mandolines are not something to be "mastered", but simply a tool to use correctly and easy enough to be careless with. I sure have hurt myself being careless with a mandoline and knives through the years.

And if one thinks they have "mastered" a motorcycle, well, scrape the fool up sooner or later. With motorcycles, there are too many variables out of the riders' control when riding them for anyone but a fool to think they have "mastered" a motorcycle.

Of course, as in all areas, there are so many self proclaimed experts and masters, aren't there? Just look at youtube, LOL.

Cranky about motorcycles today, some young person ran a red light with an even younger passenger on a motorcycle, hit a PU broadside. Driver of motorcycle hurt, but lived, his passenger really badly hurt and a little kid in the PU also badly hurt. Also, motorcyclist did not have current insurance. Willful stupidity makes me feel cranky.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:50 pm

So I got that OXO mandolin unpacked and used last night. Made coleslaw; I have a whole bunch of cabbage, two picked maybe 18 to go, but they are smallish since it was so dry this last month. I just made coleslaw a couple days back - boy I love that stuff.
The vegetable holder works okay for some stuff. It looks like it is made so it can't touch the blades, so I hope that stays working. The whole thing has a bit of flex to it.
Little carrots are pointless, better to just use a little hand grater.
I like what the julienne blades with I think 2nd thinnest slice did with onions. Cut the top and bottom off and peel, then run the whole in across in that normal plane so it does the bottom slice first.
Cabbage went okay...I'd like the thing better if the whole shebang was a half inch wider. It made really a nice slice for coleslaw at I think 2nd thinnest and the straight blade.
Tough to say it saved any time, but I only made a double batch of kfc coleslaw, so 8 cups of cabbage 2 onions and some carrots.

Now, I know how to put it all back together, but I can't see any REASON to snap the blades back in. If I reinstall them, they would have to come out to be washed every time it gets used, since they will get dirty just being "stored" on the base as it is getting used. Plus, the vegetable holder has nowhere to go on that storage setup. So I may as well put the holder in a gallon ziplock and all 5 blades in there as well. And only take out the ones I need to use for each application.

Am I missing something? Seems to me I will get jabbed prying out the julienne blades anyway, better to bag them for me.

I want to use it for fries soon, that is what I got it for!

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:34 am

JRinPA wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:50 pm So I got that OXO mandolin unpacked and used last night. Made coleslaw; I have a whole bunch of cabbage, two picked maybe 18 to go, but they are smallish since it was so dry this last month. I just made coleslaw a couple days back - boy I love that stuff.
The vegetable holder works okay for some stuff. It looks like it is made so it can't touch the blades, so I hope that stays working. The whole thing has a bit of flex to it.
Little carrots are pointless, better to just use a little hand grater.
I like what the julienne blades with I think 2nd thinnest slice did with onions. Cut the top and bottom off and peel, then run the whole in across in that normal plane so it does the bottom slice first.
Cabbage went okay...I'd like the thing better if the whole shebang was a half inch wider. It made really a nice slice for coleslaw at I think 2nd thinnest and the straight blade.
Tough to say it saved any time, but I only made a double batch of kfc coleslaw, so 8 cups of cabbage 2 onions and some carrots.

Now, I know how to put it all back together, but I can't see any REASON to snap the blades back in. If I reinstall them, they would have to come out to be washed every time it gets used, since they will get dirty just being "stored" on the base as it is getting used. Plus, the vegetable holder has nowhere to go on that storage setup. So I may as well put the holder in a gallon ziplock and all 5 blades in there as well. And only take out the ones I need to use for each application.

Am I missing something? Seems to me I will get jabbed prying out the julienne blades anyway, better to bag them for me.

I want to use it for fries soon, that is what I got it for!
I found the fries blade to be too small for my taste but sometimes I use it anyway.
As far as making sauerkraut and coleslaw there are better options like the big wooden ones made for shredding cabbage.
Easy to look up on line.
Just type in wooden cabbage shredder.
Don't like wood there are metal ones too.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 am

The oxo mandolin makes coleslaw pretty easy I'll give it that. By the third time around I'm getting more smooth with it. I tried #1 min thickness last night. Trying some now, that seems too thin for the cabbage in coleslaw, but good for the onions. I guess I should play with the crosscut/julienne cutters for the onions. And pepper slaw would be thin and crosscut too, but coleslaw I like thicker.

Overall it is so flimsy though. Plastic plastic plastic.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:52 pm

I ran a sweet potato through the apparatus and I gotta say you have to be dedicated in the motion or it ain't gonna happen.
Come in strong and hit the throttle coming out.
Worth

Return to “What's Cooking.”