Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife

Everything About Tomatoes
MissS
Reactions:

Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife

Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Well I just had to do it. I grew seeds of Tormato's Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife. I have no idea of what to expect. My plant is still small but is the first plant to bloom. It has very wispy droopy RL foliage. I know that Gary does not like red tomatoes but from it's name, I assume that it is red.

Has anyone here grown this tomato? Is it a heart, cherry or beefsteak? What should I expect or be looking for to stabilize this?
~ Patti ~

Pokemato
Reactions:

Re: Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:33 pm

MissS wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 pm Well I just had to do it. I grew seeds of Tormato's Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife. I have no idea of what to expect. My plant is still small but is the first plant to bloom. It has very wispy droopy RL foliage. I know that Gary does not like red tomatoes but from it's name, I assume that it is red.

Has anyone here grown this tomato? Is it a heart, cherry or beefsteak? What should I expect or be looking for to stabilize this?
I've never had the fortune to grow it, because until now, I'd never heard of it, but I LOVE the name and can't wait to hear about your experience with it!

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 pm

[mention]MissS[/mention]

What kinds of tomatoes does Tormato like? I know he likes Aunt Ginny's Purple (which I'm told is pink rather than purple), but I'm not sure which others.

Have you harvested any MSITKWTK? LOL, I think just writing the full name is easier. Maybe skipping out articles and prepositions would make for a better acronym: MSKK
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 pm

Tormato likes pink beefsteak tomatoes. He hates the dark tomatoes with a passion unheard of to most of us. Aunt Ginny's Purple is the love of his life and yes I am growing her as well and she is a pink lady indeed.

Miss Scarlet seems to be a heart. I have only picked one beefsteak tomato out of my garden so far this year and that was Limbaugh's Legacy, so no taste of the MSITKWTK as of yet. I'm looking forward to trying this one for sure.

I am also growing Tormato's NOT Japanese Pink Cherry. It was the second tomato to ripen in my garden. A critter got the first two. The third was mine and I liked it a lot. I saved seed from the portions that the critters left behind. This was a tomato that I enjoyed very much. I will have to have a couple more before I can make a review though.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:54 pm

Pokemato wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:33 pm
MissS wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 pm Well I just had to do it. I grew seeds of Tormato's Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife. I have no idea of what to expect. My plant is still small but is the first plant to bloom. It has very wispy droopy RL foliage. I know that Gary does not like red tomatoes but from it's name, I assume that it is red.

I've never had the fortune to grow it, because until now, I'd never heard of it, but I LOVE the name and can't wait to hear about your experience with it!
I grow my tomatoes to share the seeds so you will have the opportunity to grow this one next year. I will either place the seeds in Tormato's swap or host a seed offer myself or maybe both. So if all goes well and I get ripe fruit, seeds will be available to members of this site.
~ Patti ~

Pokemato
Reactions:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pm

...and now I'm off to read about Aunt Ginny's Purple :)

EdieJ
Reactions:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Oh now I want to know too if it's red or if it's pink!
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:35 am

What a fantastic name for a tomato!
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:35 am

From an old thread in Tomatoville from 2015 by Tormato says :
Full name - "Miss Scarlet In The Kitchen With The Knife"
Ind, RL, red heart (slicer), F-5?, borderline exceedingly sweet.
It showed up in a trial of an F4 experimental gold heart. I don't know if the F4 was pure, or crossed with another heart.
sounds interesting and I love the name...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:46 pm

20200904_152442 (1).jpg
Drum roll.... Dum di di dum.....

She had finally arrived....
20200904_152451.jpg
20200904_152631 (1).jpg
20200904_152637.jpg
This is a creation by Tormato. True to Tormato's humor, I still don't know if this is an oxheart or a large plum. It was the first plant to blossom in my garden but late to harvest fruit. It has RL spindly foliage but rather plum shaped fruit. The tomato itself has excellent flavor. It starts with a hint of sweetness and then becomes that bold old-fashioned complex tomato goodness that I remember from tomatoes years ago.

Correction: After a few bites, this is one very very sweet tomato with a complex tomato flavor but not that old-fashioned flavor of yesteryear. It's really very good and not too juicy either. Good job Tormato, it's a winner. I'll keep her in my kitchen with or without her knife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm

Does anyone have a "clue" as to the origin of the name?

Hooper, you been injecting your plants with that shark needle?
Quint

Those are some odd shapes. My fruit have almost always been long tapered nearly perfect shaped hearts.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:39 pm

rofl I love Clue and of course love the name for this one.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:06 pm

This thread reminds me to find my seeds of what may become Colonel Mustard. I don't know if he will have a weapon or a room location in the name. I don't even know if I'll get to the Colonel Mustard stage. The original tomato was a Dwarf Project hunt for a GWR heart from the Emerald Isle line, producing a "mustard" colored fruit.

I'm fairly positive that I will not be a professor of plum-shaped fruit any time soon. I don't grow them, other than a rare off-type plant showing up in the garden.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Well Chief perhaps the boat was rock'n too much and you consumed too much rye with this one. While she was a young maiden she was your typical heart throb. As she aged she became your plum. I haven't a clue as to where you scrounged up this name from. You must have been unsteady from the scrabble of that boat you were in.
20200909_121006.jpg
I can hear Pokemato crying right now and yelling "NO". Chief, should I be saving seeds from her or throw her into the ocean for chum?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm

I stand corrected by MIss S in the kitchen with the Ginzu.

Miss Scarlet (the short name) is a plump heart. "Heartthrob", another of my releases, is the long tapered one. And, if you want to try the best of my hearts, "Swoon" is rated highest for flavor by several people, including me.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I hate dark tomatoes with a passion unheard of by most of you. After all, I released this tomato from its captivity..

www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=332725

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Oh yes, I do recall that one. I have seed for it too. :o With that description of your wonderous tomato, I have been saving those seeds for a year I want to knock my socks off and be bedazzled by her fruit. Anticipation always makes things more exciting.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:11 pm

Just for reference for anyone else growing out Miss Scarlet in the Kitchen with the Knife, the seeds that gave me this off-type plum tomato (Miss Plum in the Closet with a Book) were from seed labeled as saved from 2015, experimental RL Heart.
~ Patti ~

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:59 pm

Off-topic, those of you who write on your tomatoes with a Sharpie---do you eat the writing?

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Setec Astronomy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:59 pm Off-topic, those of you who write on your tomatoes with a Sharpie---do you eat the writing?
Yes.
I have also been known to eat the labels they put on store produce.
And peanut shells.
Here is one of my baby pictures.
1_1hjTKxomNWdDlKlbC17PrQ.jpeg
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Tomato Talk”