How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
bower
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:43 am

What kind of plants are you putting out @GoDawgs ? Brassicas can take it, IDK about others. Soil temperature matters.

I read yesterday that La Nina is officially over, kaput. So not too surprising to see reversal of some of the trends we've gotten used to in the past three years.
Here it is pretty typical for March at the moment. Today a wet snowfall of 20 cm or less in total ending in drizzle or rain. Temperatures within a few degrees C of freezing, above or below.
We are also socked in with sea ice from the february cold, even around the NE Avalon. Prevailing winds N and NE, not enough W to push the ice offshore. Folks are out today trying to rescue a pod of dolphins trapped in sea ice close to shore, a bit further up the bay here. Polar Bear alerts are in effect in Labrador and the Northern Peninsula. They are hunting on the ice but they come ashore on the island at this time of year. Not usually this far south, but still. Scary beary.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:56 am

Bower wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:43 am What kind of plants are you putting out @GoDawgs ? Brassicas can take it, IDK about others. Soil temperature matters.
They're brassicas and I think the soil temp is still around 60. Hmmmm, I could set them out today and get the hoops installed ready for covering.... I think I will. But I won't mulch yet as I want the sun to warm the soil a little more for the next two days. Maybe mulch the night before the cold comes to lock in what warmth there is?

bower
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:25 am

GoDawgs wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:56 am
Bower wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:43 am What kind of plants are you putting out @GoDawgs ? Brassicas can take it, IDK about others. Soil temperature matters.
They're brassicas and I think the soil temp is still around 60. Hmmmm, I could set them out today and get the hoops installed ready for covering.... I think I will. But I won't mulch yet as I want the sun to warm the soil a little more for the next two days. Maybe mulch the night before the cold comes to lock in what warmth there is?
That makes perfect sense. I wouldn't worry if the temperature is above freezing. Brassicas can take that easily if they're already hardened off and the soil isn't close to freezing. You can cover and/or mulch for the cold nights to be on the safe side.
In my greenhouse this winter, air temperatures went to 27F some nights, and at that point the Napa cabbage looked a bit stressed and some curling down of broccoli leaves too. 28F seemed to be the no sweat low. I lost a few lettuce starts that were dry when the coldest temperatures hit, and one mizuna-rogue brassica really curled and stressed until I realized it was dry and it perked up again after watering. So I think making sure the plants aren't water stressed before the cold is a good idea too.
I use water bottles for heat storage mass, and they did not actually freeze even though air temps were 27night-32day-27night-34day at one point. I also used large fish tubs full of soil as heat storage mass, and the pots that were on top of dirt were less stressed than pots raised up on overturned empty tubs. If your ground is already 60 F I doubt very much it will go down to freezing for the one night below.
temperate marine climate

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:53 am

This morning felt a little chilly with some heavy wind, cloud cover and it felt like it might rain. I watered anyway because I needed to water those plants that didn't need any yesterday. Now the sun is coming out and seems like it will be a beautiful day. It is currently 72 degrees, 22 wind gusts and normal 10 mph winds. Humidity is 93%. Looks like possible rain on Monday so I will try to avoid any watering tomorrow but if something needs it I will definitely take care of it.
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:25 am

@Bower
I heard El Nino is taking it's place.
There's normally a well, (normal) period between the two.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:27 am

The wee cold snap is over and back to normal.
All the leaves are green and birds are chirping.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:47 am

An inch or two of snow overnight, all melting now, which is saving my back.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:52 am

My back is saved because I gave over and parked at the end of the driveway. Half hour to do that. The inside and turnaround by the house are just mounded up with frozen snow you cannot dent with a shovel. Waiting for spring...
temperate marine climate

peebee
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:13 pm

Rain rain rain...am I still living in So CA? 🤔
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:16 pm

peebee wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:13 pm Rain rain rain...am I still living in So CA? 🤔
I hope you're okay with all the snow and flooding going on there now.
~Margaret Atwood~

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:19 pm

peebee wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:13 pm Rain rain rain...am I still living in So CA? 🤔
Rain and also cold. We rarely get out of the fifties. I don't recall such a long stretch of cold rainy weather here in Southern California.

peebee
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Thanks @Rockporter I live nearish the coast so no snow or flood worries. It's the inland & mountain areas getting slammed.
@zeuspaul people in other states will laugh when we say we're cold in the 50s. But we're not used to this. Before global warming though we used to have rain & cold during Jan & Feb. I gave all my gloves, boots, warm hats & sweaters away about 15 years ago now I'm buying them again lol.

Rockporter
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 pm

peebee wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 pm Thanks @Rockporter I live nearish the coast so no snow or flood worries. It's the inland & mountain areas getting slammed.
@zeuspaul people in other states will laugh when we say we're cold in the 50s. But we're not used to this. Before global warming though we used to have rain & cold during Jan & Feb. I gave all my gloves, boots, warm hats & sweaters away about 15 years ago now I'm buying them again lol.
Yes, my son lives in the big bear area, he's been snowed in for a while now. :o

I'm from San Diego East County so I know what you mean about not being used to 50's in temps.
~Margaret Atwood~

peebee
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:02 pm

I hope your son is safe & has enough food etc to last till he can get out. Doesn't look good for the people up there.

Rockporter
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:11 pm

peebee wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:02 pm I hope your son is safe & has enough food etc to last till he can get out. Doesn't look good for the people up there.
Thankfully he is a hunter and has plenty of deer to eat. He is about 20 miles down the big bear mountain so it isn't near as bad for him, but he has been shoveling snow off of his deck for a couple weeks now, he is concerned it will collapse because he gets the snow off the roof and it all comes down on the deck. His truck is buried, he can't even get to it right now. He has plenty of firewood to keep warm, and food so it is the best he can hope for right now.
~Margaret Atwood~

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:03 am

Well people, cars, and houses getting squished again by trees. Flooding, levee breaks, mandatory evacuations, and lots of power outages. Took forever to get to work and from work yesterday. In the morning, tree falls diverted me and then all the lights were out in all of Monterey and some surrounding areas. On the way home, lights were out again and also i had two rock slides and 4 tree falls to pass through. Trader Joes finally opened after getting a generator and fuel (gas stations all closed) and had to toss 55k of food they said. This is usually the road i use. I passed by 30 minutes before this and thought those two trees looked dicey. They say it starts again tomorrow. I am hoping it is better by Friday when i have tofly out with the boys from SFO.

Shot from the local crime and emergency page.

[attachment=0]Screenshots_2023-03-11-21-56-51.png[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

bower
Reactions:

Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:20 am

OMG Julianna! I hope the worst is over!!
The trouble with heavy precip, it gets worse and worse for trees to blow down, the longer it goes on. Hope you're staying at home safe today, and a clear sky tomorrow...
temperate marine climate

Rockporter
Reactions:

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:41 pm

Julianna wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:03 am Well people, cars, and houses getting squished again by trees. Flooding, levee breaks, mandatory evacuations, and lots of power outages. Took forever to get to work and from work yesterday. In the morning, tree falls diverted me and then all the lights were out in all of Monterey and some surrounding areas. On the way home, lights were out again and also i had two rock slides and 4 tree falls to pass through. Trader Joes finally opened after getting a generator and fuel (gas stations all closed) and had to toss 55k of food they said. This is usually the road i use. I passed by 30 minutes before this and thought those two trees looked dicey. They say it starts again tomorrow. I am hoping it is better by Friday when i have tofly out with the boys from SFO.

Screenshots_2023-03-11-21-56-51.png
So much wrong going on over there in Cali. I hope you stay safe and sound there.
~Margaret Atwood~

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:44 pm

Bower wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:20 am OMG Julianna! I hope the worst is over!!
The trouble with heavy precip, it gets worse and worse for trees to blow down, the longer it goes on. Hope you're staying at home safe today, and a clear sky tomorrow...
Another front is coming in. They said the worst will be in Tuesday. So we will see how that goes. My work never closes so i will have to get there no matter what. I am still just hoping for things to clear by Friday.
Last edited by Julianna on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:47 pm

Rockporter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:41 pm
Julianna wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:03 am Well people, cars, and houses getting squished again by trees. Flooding, levee breaks, mandatory evacuations, and lots of power outages. Took forever to get to work and from work yesterday. In the morning, tree falls diverted me and then all the lights were out in all of Monterey and some surrounding areas. On the way home, lights were out again and also i had two rock slides and 4 tree falls to pass through. Trader Joes finally opened after getting a generator and fuel (gas stations all closed) and had to toss 55k of food they said. This is usually the road i use. I passed by 30 minutes before this and thought those two trees looked dicey. They say it starts again tomorrow. I am hoping it is better by Friday when i have tofly out with the boys from SFO.

Screenshots_2023-03-11-21-56-51.png
So much wrong going on over there in Cali. I hope you stay safe and sound there.
Thank you!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Return to “General Discussion”