MMMM requirements

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Re: MMMM requirements

Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Couple more questions. I don't have a lot of varieties any more, just my favorite few. So I will be sending multiple seed envelopes of the same variety, if that is alright. How many seeds per pack? Been a while since I was in a large swap, and don't remember details. I am thinking 10-20 seeds? One other question is how old the seeds can be? I quit saving every year, and one of my varieties is 2018. All my brandywines I started this year were from 2017, and I had great germination. I have new seeds saved from everything this year, but that one variety. I will do a germination test today, and I would bet it will be good. I have a small list of wants, some kind of rare. I will send extra packets to cover others and donate some extra cash also.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:01 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:13 pm I am a bit confused on the bubble mailers. I send Tormato a bubble mailer inside another mailer of some kind? Inside all is my address and seeds I am contributing. And money for return postage. Or do I send one bubble mailer, and it is re-used to send back to me?
Participants send a single bubble mailer (with everything inside) that I reuse and send back.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:17 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:03 pm Couple more questions. I don't have a lot of varieties any more, just my favorite few. So I will be sending multiple seed envelopes of the same variety, if that is alright. How many seeds per pack? Been a while since I was in a large swap, and don't remember details. I am thinking 10-20 seeds? One other question is how old the seeds can be? I quit saving every year, and one of my varieties is 2018. All my brandywines I started this year were from 2017, and I had great germination. I have new seeds saved from everything this year, but that one variety. I will do a germination test today, and I would bet it will be good. I have a small list of wants, some kind of rare. I will send extra packets to cover others and donate some extra cash also.
Sending in multiple seed packets of each variety is not only alright, it's basically how this swap works. Good seed germination is more important than seed age. With great (known) seed germination or freshly harvested seeds, tomato packs should have a minimum of 5 seeds, with more than that being fine. Peppers should have a minimum of 10 per pack.

People will be posting their wish lists soon. Even if a participant only has 1 or 2 seeds, and no longer wants those seeds, send them in. It may be the only seeds of that variety coming in, and making someone else very happy.

This swap is not about "rules", including the above. It is about each participant being happy.

JayneR13
Reactions:

Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:31 am

I'm considering participating in my first seed swap and I want to make sure I'm contributing fairly, so here are a couple of noob questions:

1) Are seeds other than tomatoes allowed? I have tons, lots of which are commercial seed
2) Is a wish list required, or can I wait to be surprised?

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:37 am

JayneR13 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:31 am I'm considering participating in my first seed swap and I want to make sure I'm contributing fairly, so here are a couple of noob questions:

1) Are seeds other than tomatoes allowed? I have tons, lots of which are commercial seed
Anything is allowed. I'd like a lot coming in, therefore a lot going back out.

After tomatoes, there is a little bit of just about anything coming in. Peppers are probably second in requests. There can be beans, peas, greens, cukes, summer and winter squash, melons, watermelons, alliums, beets, carrots, Asian veggies, herbs, non-edible flowers, sometimes garlic and walking onion bulbils, etc..I'll try to go through some older posts to see what has come in over the years.

I'm just the host, trying to make others happy. As for a wish list, it is not necessary. You can be surprised as much, or as little, as you want. It likely would be best to generalize what you would like, such as types of veggie/fruit seed, without mentioning any specific varieties. And, if there is anything you know of that you don't want, you can mention that, too.

If the swap goes like all of the previous years (fingers crossed), wish list or not, ask other participants if you will be surprised.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:46 pm

JayneR13 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:31 am I'm considering participating in my first seed swap and I want to make sure I'm contributing fairly, so here are a couple of noob questions:

Stop considering and just DO IT. You won't be disappointed in fact you will be amazed, astounded, leaping with joy and smiling and smiling for weeks on end.

The MMMM stands for the Mostly Mystery Mater Mailing and I like to keep things a mystery. I like the anticipation and wondering what will be inside my parcel. It's like waiting for Santa to come and then the joy you experience on Christmas morning when you see that he has. I normally do not read the spoiler thread and normally do not make a wish list. I just let the big guy figure things out and he sure does a great job! This year I am deviating from normal because I forwarded my parcel last year to someone else.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:50 pm

One of the participants posted a short video of opening his bubble mailer last year...

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:20 pm

I have some seed saved from this year but it was pretty dry here. Can you tell me which are the most requested F1 hybrids? I'll probably buy some seed to fill out my shipment so knowing what people want is probably better than picking multiple random packs of things no one wants. I don't grow hybrids so which are best is not my wheelhouse other than knowing Sun Gold is popular.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:48 pm

Lemonboy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:20 pm I have some seed saved from this year but it was pretty dry here. Can you tell me which are the most requested F1 hybrids? I'll probably buy some seed to fill out my shipment so knowing what people want is probably better than picking multiple random packs of things no one wants. I don't grow hybrids so which are best is not my wheelhouse other than knowing Sun Gold is popular.
I'll go through the hybrid seeds, here, in a few days to see what I have. I do know that SunGold is by far the most requested hybrid variety. But, I have about 1.000 seeds of it, so there's no need for anyone to buy any.

SunSugar and Big Beef are the next two most popular. I really need to see if or what I have of those. After those three, there really haven't been much of any requests to purchase specific hybrids. I just list what comes into the swap, and participants choose from the listings.

I might start a thread in the MMMM listings about any hybrids that participants might be looking for. If there are any responses, you can go from there.

Another option would be to make a donation (in about the same amount you would be paying for hybrids) to the swap towards the purchase of heirloom tomatoes, from some of the smaller seed vendors. I still have to get in an order to Knapp's, this year, for $150 worth of seeds. That was the amount donated last year, towards a seed purchase for this year.

Moth1992
Reactions:

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:15 pm

Hi @Tormato I would like to participate this year for the fun!

Are the requirements and deadlines the same as the 2021 ones in the first post?

Edit to add, im confused about how it works and I cant find the instructions. Mostly confused about the seed amounts and packages and categories and sponsorship. Where are the instructions? Thanks!

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:46 am

Moth1992 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:15 pm Hi @Tormato I would like to participate this year for the fun!

Are the requirements and deadlines the same as the 2021 ones in the first post?

Edit to add, im confused about how it works and I cant find the instructions. Mostly confused about the seed amounts and packages and categories and sponsorship. Where are the instructions? Thanks!
Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions.

You don't have to jump through all of the hoops, the first year. There really aren't any rules. It's how each participant wants the swap to go, for themselves.

Sending me a bubble mailer (to be reused and sent back), inside of which has a legible return address, return postage (I'll have to see what the new postage rates are), and a paper wish list is all that is required. Your Tomato Junction username would be nice in case further communication by PM is needed. Include seeds if you have them.

Requested, but not absolutely necessary, for tomatoes a minimum of 5 seeds to a pack, for peppers a minimum of 10 seeds to a pack. If one has enough seeds, making up 10 packs for each variety would be nice. Most participants use 2' X 3" clear plastic zip baggies, which can usually be found in the craft/bead section of WalMart. Label varieties (variety name and harvest year) by either putting a label inside (preferred), or writing with a non-smudging permanent marker on the outside. NO STAPLES OR PAPER CLIPS inside the bubble mailer, as they can tear seed packs open.

10 packs of a variety is where the "categories" come into play. I'll explain that in the next message.

If one doesn't have any seeds to contribute, they will be sponsored by others who will provide seeds.

I don't worry about deadlines, although I would like to see packages arrive by the first of December, in order for me to attempt to mail most packages back by the end of the year. It doesn't always happen. Last year I was still receiving packages in January, and mailing packages in February.

Moth1992
Reactions:

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:58 am

Sweet thanks!

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:50 pm

Moth1992 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:58 amSweet thanks!
(Sweet)

Thanks for the reminder! I soon have to look for some 70% Lindt.

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:17 pm

Mailed a package today. 7 kinds of Tomato, 5 kinds of pepper, and a couple vegetable seeds.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Viv
Reactions:

Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Think I've mostly wrapped my head around the requirements, just have a couple of questions. 1. Did the return postage for this year get figured out, or just like stick a 5 in and hope that covers inflation? 2. I've got some seeds to send in but no tomato seeds, do I need to request a sponsor for tomato seeds or just send the seeds I have and it'll sort itself out?

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:34 am

Viv wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:32 pm Think I've mostly wrapped my head around the requirements, just have a couple of questions. 1. Did the return postage for this year get figured out, or just like stick a 5 in and hope that covers inflation? 2. I've got some seeds to send in but no tomato seeds, do I need to request a sponsor for tomato seeds or just send the seeds I have and it'll sort itself out?
5 will be close enough. Judging from packages arriving, 5-6 will cover most packages. That excludes the "bean people", who know otherwise on postage.

Just send your seeds, with a wish list, and it will sort itself out. Posting at the wish list thread will let others, and myself, see what you are requesting. Following the spoiler alert, Tomato Master List, Pepper Master List, etc.. will show what's coming in.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:55 pm

A warning to all , read instructions.
Ever try to go in the out door and think " hmm, the place is locked " -
I am notorious for not reading signs. I haven't driven off a cliff yet, but I did use tape on my tomato packets.
One more day of delay while I go through and redo the swap seeds into new ziplocks. That's what I get for not heeding that little voice, or not just simply following the plain as day instructions.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:48 pm

LindaJean wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:55 pm A warning to all , read instructions.
Ever try to go in the out door and think " hmm, the place is locked " -
I am notorious for not reading signs. I haven't driven off a cliff yet, but I did use tape on my tomato packets.
One more day of delay while I go through and redo the swap seeds into new ziplocks. That's what I get for not heeding that little voice, or not just simply following the plain as day instructions.
Sealing paper envelopes with tape is perfectly fine.

It's taping all of the packets down on card stock in neat orderly rows that is the problem. If the packets don't shift, I have the time consuming task of removing all of that tape from all of those packets, from the time consuming task that you used for the neat orderly rows. Now, if the packets shift inside the bubble mailer, which happens quite often, let me introduce you to my cat named Scotchtransparent, and its incredibly huge hairball.

Tape, I mean take your time. I figure that the last of the bubble mailers for this round of the swap will go out, the day yours may arrive. My plan, although I really don't have any plan, just like I don't have any rules, is to use all of your donations for the next swap. That's unless we're threatened by an angry mob of tomato addicts needing a fix, and demanding to know what goods you got.

Got Yellow Pear?

LindaJean
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:32 pm

Sorry to disappoint, no yellow pear. As kids we threw them at each other , the only suitable use I can think of.
Ok, I'll wait until my last order from GardenHoard gets here and include some new ones from them and Bounty Hunters too .

eyolf
Reactions:

Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:24 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:48 pm

Got Yellow Pear?
I do, but prolly not lots. Looks like around 120 seeds...more than enough for me. Orig source Northrup King, about 1995.

I can share if you have requests but no supply.

But also a question. Another of my interests are potato onions. First time ever, my white potato onions sent seed stalks up in 2021: I allowed them (and a few red, yellow, and white sets nearby) to do so, knowing crossing was likely.
I seemed to get white, yellow, bronze, pink, and brown-skinned multi-center the first year (22)

Depending on what comes of it, I'd be pleased to share with like-minded souls...but also recognize that there may well be limits to Gary's gracious patience, even physical ability to act as clearing house.

So, asking what you think. IF my plantings.produce something interesting, interested?

Return to “MMMM Swap”