eggplant recommendations

Nico
Reactions:

eggplant recommendations

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Hello everybody and thanks in advance.
This next season I am going to have a much larger plot and I would like to have some productive variety with an aubergine flavor, I am not an expert in eggplant, this year I planted some small round pink eggplant plants that had a lot of flavor, they were called aubergine di rosa, I think they were Italian, I always buy hybrids at the nursery. I would like you to recommend a good variety.
Thank you
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

fluffy_gumbo
Reactions:

Re: eggplant recommendations

Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 am

I was given white eggplants from a fellow gardener and they were so good! I think they are called Casper. We also grew Ichiban which is a long purple variety. Both of these are very sweet and small seeded and produced well in our lengthy, hot, and humid summers.
Learn, adapt, grow! - Zone 9B
Blog: https://thebigeasygarden.wordpress.com/

Nico
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 am

fluffy_gumbo Thank you
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm

Tsakoniki - a beautiful purple and white striped, somewhat long but also round one from Greece. Another Greek one that I love is Violetta Lunga, it's a long thin purple one, similar to Japanese types.
- Marsha

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 pm

I grew 15 varieties this year! They were all good, except the very small varieties, which seemed excessively seedy. i tallied my harvest a couple weeks ago, though all of them are still producing. Here are the ones I liked best.

Galine F1 and Nadia F1, about 18 eggplants per plant, very similar. dark purple eggplants. Nadia seems to stay firm longer after picking. I've grown these three years in a row. I've been buying these as plants. The rest I grew from seed.

Syrian Stuffing, 48 from 4 plants. a little taller than other varieties.

Mitoyo, 19 from 4 plants. Sweet when raw (even though I don't eat them raw).

Green Dragon and Xi'an Green, 36 from 4 plants. Both are green when ripe, traditional eggplant shape, a beautiful color, and also sweet when raw.

I planted most of them 16-18 inches apart, and a few 24" apart. At this point in the season, I wish I'd planted all of them AT LEAST 24 inches apart!
I dusted some of them with diatomaceous earth shortly after planting to help control the flea beetles. A few I planted in another garden got dusted at planting time, and that seemed much more effective.
And I also wished I'd tied them all to sturdy stakes when planting.
Finally, I will start them all earlier next year. Some of the seeds took a long time to germinate (3-4 weeks)!

LK2020
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 pm I grew 15 varieties this year! They were all good, except the very small varieties, which seemed excessively seedy. i tallied my harvest a couple weeks ago, though all of them are still producing. Here are the ones I liked best.

Galine F1 and Nadia F1, about 18 eggplants per plant, very similar. dark purple eggplants. Nadia seems to stay firm longer after picking. I've grown these three years in a row. I've been buying these as plants. The rest I grew from seed.

Syrian Stuffing, 48 from 4 plants. a little taller than other varieties.

Mitoyo, 19 from 4 plants. Sweet when raw (even though I don't eat them raw).

Green Dragon and Xi'an Green, 36 from 4 plants. Both are green when ripe, traditional eggplant shape, a beautiful color, and also sweet when raw.

I planted most of them 16-18 inches apart, and a few 24" apart. At this point in the season, I wish I'd planted all of them AT LEAST 24 inches apart!
I dusted some of them with diatomaceous earth shortly after planting to help control the flea beetles. A few I planted in another garden got dusted at planting time, and that seemed much more effective.
And I also wished I'd tied them all to sturdy stakes when planting.
Finally, I will start them all earlier next year. Some of the seeds took a long time to germinate (3-4 weeks)!
Wow, that's a lot of eggplant. Where do you find seeds for Green Dragon and Xi'ian Green? They sound very interesting.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Ichiban is a variety I have been growing since the 80s - the first one to produce every season, usually just 4-5 weeks after transplant, and incredibly productive. The only drawback - it doesn't like heat, and if it gets into the 90s for very long (like it always does here), it stops flowering, just like many tomatoes. Once it gets down in the 80s for a while, it will get a bunch of new growth, as well as flowers, and I get another crop out of them! Right now, I have about a dozen fruits on each of 2 plants - slowed down by some unusual lows in the 40s this week, but they will usually continue here well into October. These are Japanese type eggplants - usually don't get seedy unless grown past 10" or so, and begin losing the black sheen, and begin turning a lighter purple color. Very good flavor, and not spongy, like larger varieties tend to be.
ImageFirst eggplant on Ichiban, 6-21-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Neon is my other favorite variety, but unfortunately, has been dropped by all catalogs. Hopefully it will come back - this happened years ago with both of these varieties, but came back, before I ran out of seeds. This variety grows better in heat than many varieties. A little shorter and fatter, but still not spongy. Doesn't get bitter, even when I lose one in the foliage too long, and it gets seedy.
ImageNeon and Ichiban eggplants still producing well. 9-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ever since I started growing these in SIPs several years ago, that's how I've been growing them, ever since! Every season now, just 6 plants produce more than I can use! I can't begin to guess how many fruits
I get per plant. This season I tried Rosa Bianca, as well as Rosita, but those did not produce nearly as many per plant as the hybrids. And the rosa bianca stopped producing, in the heat, and only produced a few small fruits, once it got cooler. I still keep trying new ones!

Flea beetles are the worst pests I have for eggplants, so every season I spray the plants with Surround, making sure to get the undersides of the leaves covered, and every week or so spraying the new growth. Keeps them clear of flea beetles, better than anything else I've tried, and it washes off the fruits easily.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:59 am

fluffy_gumbo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 am I was given white eggplants from a fellow gardener and they were so good! I think they are called Casper. We also grew Ichiban which is a long purple variety. Both of these are very sweet and small seeded and produced well in our lengthy, hot, and humid summers.
Great! I just ordered Casper seeds last week. Bunny Hop Seeds has them.

Nico
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:46 am

:D Thank you all very much, I will try to get some of the varieties you recommend!

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 pm

LK2020 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm Wow, that's a lot of eggplant. Where do you find seeds for Green Dragon and Xi'ian Green? They sound very interesting.
I got them in a trade, from someone who said they came from China. I haven't been able to find a source online. I will keep looking -- I like them a lot. I thought I could save seeds, but haven't been able to catch a flower before opening to bag it!

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Well I've had real problems growing aubergine in the uk over the last two years. Previously had more than I can eat. So I'll be following your tips if I may, some good looking fruit there.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

LK2020
Reactions:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:39 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 pm
LK2020 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm Wow, that's a lot of eggplant. Where do you find seeds for Green Dragon and Xi'ian Green? They sound very interesting.
I got them in a trade, from someone who said they came from China. I haven't been able to find a source online. I will keep looking -- I like them a lot. I thought I could save seeds, but haven't been able to catch a flower before opening to bag it!
When I google "xi'an green eggplant seeds" I get a site called "Xi'an Sunny Seeds Co. Ltd." which seems to be a Chinese seed company. They have a "Green Jar" eggplant with 3 variations, and a total of 6 kinds of green eggplant seeds. I can't see how to order, I guess I'd have to email them. Not even sure seeds from China would make it here right now. But now you have me interested in green eggplant. Kitazawa has a couple of Japanese green eggplants, both long and rounder. Hmmm ... The Xi'ian Sunny Seeds site also has purple and black eggplant seeds, with one of the black varieties called "Black Dragon."

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:10 am

FD19AAD9-C601-4171-9403-EC2813DC0253.jpeg
14 and 11 ounces.

My one black beauty eggplant is still producing here at the end of November. More setting on the plant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Wow they are beauties. Looking to plant aubergine seeds really early somebody are big enough when they go out next year. Season is so touch and go and they need as much time as possible. Still thinking about a hot bed for them and the chillies next year, just need to source some good organic horse manure.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:48 pm

Anyone know anything about viserba aubergine ? Long, thin and purple.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:30 am

My most prolific last summer were Casper, Galine, Millionaire, and Annina. I had many other varieties which did OK but these really outdid themselves. Then there were a couple that did next to nothing. Will be trying Kamo this year which has excellent reviews.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:13 pm

A1AF4F96-C7CC-4C44-8BD2-935C32EE51B0.jpeg
Black beauty eggplant as of January 1, 2021. Three eggplant on there at the moment (one hidden in the leaves). Pretty incredible since we’ve had multiple nights in the 30s, low single digits Centigrade. Plant was put in back in March 2020. I’ve done nothing to protect it. I’m a believer in Black beauty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tracydr
Reactions:

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:43 pm

I think my Viscerba is a traditional purple eggplant but I do like it and grow it every year. I also grow Rosa Bianca which is my favorite. I used to favor long Asian varieties but I have more problems with pests causing the tender skin to blemish here in NC. In AZ, they were my best varieties and our favorite eating.
I really need to try surround. I keep saying it and have yet to give it a try.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:50 am

habitat-gardener wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 pm I grew 15 varieties this year!

Galine F1 and Nadia F1, about 18 eggplants per plant.

Syrian Stuffing, 48 from 4 plants.

Mitoyo, 19 from 4 plants.

Green Dragon and Xi'an Green, 36 from 4 plants.
Damn, that's a lot of eggplant. I am jealous. What is your typical planting date? (for tomato for example) just to get an idea of your season length.

As for chinese seeds, they have cool stuff, including hybrids. Most probably the person got them personally visiting or from someone coming from there. They have their own way of payments, and other complications (like language), besides the fact that they are really strict with them passing the border, so a company sending them through mail would be a miracle.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:25 am

D4350254-353F-4EBA-A7D5-9F233869585B.jpeg
Black beauty as of February 2nd. Still cranking out eggplant here in zone 9. Carries two to three that mature pretty close to each other, then two to three more set and the cycle repeats. I pruned the plant a bit, some of the far reaching sprawling limbs.
EB3F2CB8-FEDD-448A-B257-E4BD9DD3D88D.jpeg
Evidently, it’s a cold tolerant variety. Haven’t covered it or protected it at all in spite of some frosty nights.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”