Hemp topic?

Hemp, Cotton, Jute, Flax, Kenaf, Bamboo etc
zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: Hemp topic?

Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:05 am

I haven't experienced inconsistent results with either cannabis or alcohol. I find both very predictable. I don't use anything from the black market because you don't know what you are getting. I would classify pot a mind high and alcohol a body high but that is a simplification. Too much drinking and some people become belligerent. Too much smoking and people zone out. Moderate consumption is best IMO.

I took a long hiatus from pot until it recently became legal. I rarely drink because I don't like the high and also consider it a waste of money. I prefer drinking tea. Now that I am retired I don't have to worry about a job or driving so I am free to experiment. I experiment maybe once or twice a week. The *experts?* *connoisseurs?* seem to be able to discern subtle differences between different strains. Indica dominant vs sativa dominant and differences based on different terpenes.

What Are the Differences Between Being High and Being Drunk?

Us humans love to alter our consciousness, and alcohol and cannabis have helped us achieve this goal over thousands of years. But both have very different effects on the body. Discover the key differences between being high vs being drunk on our bodies and brain chemistry. Then, find out if you should mix marijuana and alcohol together.

<snip>
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-wh ... drunk-n715

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:57 am

I did a search the other day looking for the people or organizations that are against legalized Marijuana.
The usual suspects.
Look for yourself.
It ranges from religious nuts to privat prison systems big pharmaceutical rehab centers you name it.
All stand to lose money one way or another if it was to become legal.
Our own DA here in Bastrop is one of them
Total dirt bag not willing to budge an inch.
Going from one county over is like going into another country.
All the counties that are like this are so called rural counties.
Nothing better to do with their time than to bust some poor person for a little weed.
Our own governor doesn't even know what the Texas laws on this are.
Found that out as well.
Nor will they ever let it get to a vote by the public.
Something else that ticks me off.
I miss smoking a big fatty on Christmas day darn it all.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:03 am

Since pot became legal here I usually have some on hand. A friend brought me some CBD type weed to try, which I found to be a bit of a knockout so I always buy sativas. I prefer to smoke tiny amounts only for very light benefits. Steadier hand, better focus, soothes the nerves. But I do think they are right that different resins or substances play a role in the effects of pot @zeuspaul . I am not a connoisseur by any means because I smoke so little, I've only tried a few over the couple of years, as a small amount lasts me a long time. But there are definitely differences, and it isn't THC/CBD because for those measured substances on the label, they are all very similar and shouldn't account for it, afaict. The last one I got is really noticeably different from the others, enough so I can review the half dozen and say yeah, these are my favorites and this one isn't.

This is interesting:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 090828.htm
There seems to be conflicting comment on some commercial health sites, suggesting that mj harms your adrenals and raises cortisol levels.

One thing for sure, the amount that's beneficial is very specific to the person. I also had a friend back in the day who smoked huge amounts and was never adversely affected in any way. I can think of several people I know, who could smoke a vast amount without being impaired.
I guess I'm the opposite, or at least, I consistently prefer less not more. Not using it as a sleep aid.

I also wouldn't smoke even a tiny amount on a day I'll be driving anywhere, just like I don't drive after any alcohol. I trust my reflexes plain, not sped up (pot) or slowed down (alcohol).
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:34 pm

CBD isn't unique to sativa strains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+sati ... nt=gws-wiz
What category is Sativa?

sativa refers to the two main categories of cannabis strains. Both indicas and sativas differ in appearance and effects. Indicas are generally known for a sedating effect, while sativa strains are known for a cerebral high.

Most strains aren't 100% one or the other. Durban Poison is 100% sativa. Granddaddy Purple is 100% indica.

Granddaddy Purple Feminized Seeds
Grow Granddaddy Purple seeds into a bud that gives an easy high and long-lasting relaxation! This strain is a classic West Coast indica favored by marijuana enthusiasts the world over. If you want a smoke you can come back to every day? A smoke that lets you enjoy relaxation, that calms you down without locking you on the couch, this is for you!

https://ilgm.com/products/granddaddy-pu ... ized-seeds

Durban Poison Feminized Seeds
Durban Poison is a pure sativa named after its city of origin: Durban, South Africa. Despite its name, it is a delightful strain that gives the user energy, joy, and creativity.

https://ilgm.com/products/durban-poison-feminized-seeds

And Critical Mass indica, sativa and CBD. Someone posted this one helped with relieve pain from neuropathy so I want to give this one a try.

Critical Mass Feminized Seeds
Critical Mass is a marijuana strain with a loyal following of devoted consumers, especially when it comes to medical marijuana patients. Critical Mass is particularly known for having high levels of CBD, making it an excellent choice for those who want to relieve their symptoms and still be able to function. Buy Critical Mass seeds to easily grow a high THC, high CBD delight!

Plant type 80% indica 20% sativa
THC Up to 22%
CBD 5%

https://ilgm.com/products/critical-mass-feminized-seeds

And then there are terpenes.

What are cannabis terpenes and what do they do?

The unique musky, skunky, and pungent aroma of cannabis is unmistakable: Most people can smell it before they even see it. Terpenes, the aromatic compounds that determine the scent of many flowers and herbs, bestow cannabis with its distinctive odor and contribute to its flavor.

Cannabis contains more than 150 types of terpenes. Although most terpenes are present in only trace amounts, the more prominent ones team together to give diverse cannabis strains their signature scent profiles. The combination of terpenes in Sour Diesel tell you of its pungent, gassy character, while Cherry Pie evokes the pleasant scent of sweet and sour cherry pie fresh out of the oven.

Beyond providing cannabis with its unique bouquet of scents, terpenes also hold diverse functions in the plant and can produce a range of therapeutic and mood-altering effects in cannabis consumers.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-10 ... omatherapy

Experts suggest that there are over 700 strains of cannabis. One of the most important characteristics of a cannabis strain is the THC content. Some rules exist on naming each strain, but many producers do not name their products according to these rules.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... nt=gws-wiz

bower
Reactions:

Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:17 pm

I think I haven't paid enough attention to what is available.
temperate marine climate

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:44 pm

It's a lot like tomatoes. Same strain grown in different climates different results. Same strain same garden two plants grown side by side different results. Best time to harvest. And there are a multitude of different tomato strains with *major* differences. Some people think tomatoes are tomatoes until they actually taste a home grown.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:38 am

My state recently legalized, and now that it is legal to have a few plants, I have been in the seed business.

If anyone here needs a few seeds, I am happy to trade for tomato, pepper, or whatever seed you have. Here is the link to my strainly page:
https://www.strainly.io/en/johnw5

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:13 am

I was recently in New Mexico where they, like their neighbor to the north, have legalized dispensaries for recreational THC containing products. I didn’t go into any of the stores, but I wonder what these stores charge for bottle of wine type of amount equivalent of THC type of product. I suppose there are premium products and maybe an economy version too.

My son that lived in Massachusetts where there are legal stores said most people avoided the stores in favor of homegrown stuff on issues of quality and price. Wonder if that tends to be true elsewhere where legal recreational THC product is sold and can be grown legally?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:24 am

Watched a recent video on the collapse of the Marijuana industry in California.
Small farmers are being pushed out due to low prices.
They say they can't sell the stuff for what it costs to grow it.
Much of this due to the black market state regulations and the huge amount coming to market.
Basically they want protection not competition.
I can't seriously feel sorry for them.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:34 am

Colorado gets a lot of tourists buying the products and I bet it is true also in New Mexico. Wonder what happens when every state legalizes THC? Seems like that would dry up a lot of the tourism type of buys. But, isn’t THC is still a controlled substance on the federal level?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:48 pm

I frequent a weed forum It is a little of everything. Posters from Oregon claim the pot sold in dispensaries is a lot cheaper than growing their own due to the cost of electricity. The indoor pot growers use a lot of light. Their grow lights are in the multiple hundred watt range for 12 to 18 hours per day. I have heard prices as low as $20 per ounce (edit: likely $20 per 1/8 ounce) in Oregon. Here in California I believe the prices are a couple hundred per ounce. I have never been to a dispensary. States are looking to marijuana for a source of tax revenue.

I don't hear much about the black market stuff. Who in their right mind would buy that stuff? You don't know what you are getting.

I live in a legal state but grow my own. A friend gave me a couple of seeds. I started them just like I start my tomatoes and put them in the garden and ended up with two large plants and more than I can use. All I did was dig in a little organic matter add some organic fertilizer and turn on the drip system about once or twice a week depending on the weather.

These indoor growers spend a lot of time and effort with their grows. Testing run off and adding fancy nutrients and a lot of expensive lighting. I tried an indoor grow and got about a tenth of what I got with the outdoor grow with a tenth of the work and expense.

It may be legal in a state but even within the state regulations vary. Some can grow outdoors some not. Maybe only can grow indoors in a locked room. And limits on the number of plants. Trying to generalize the pot industry is a non starter. And the age verification hoops you have to jump through just to purchase paraphernalia for stuff as trivial as pipe screens.
Last edited by zeuspaul on Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:00 pm

Sometimes the black market is just your friend or someone growing their own.
Not necessarily street weed.
I've done all sorts of black market stuff to make a little extra cash.
And I've bought black market tamales too.
My mom sold black market butter and eggs.
Worth

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:11 pm

I think everyone should know about plant growth regulators and what they do to cannabis. If you see buds that seem super round, hard, and filled out, that's PGR bud. It looks great, but the PGRs lower thc a bit. More importantly, they make the plant suck up heavy metals from the soil or grow medium. Cadmium seems common. The flower will "pass" a heavy metal screening, but just barely. The truth is that there is no safe level of heavy metal consumption. California has banned PGRs, at least for people following the law, but the other states have not. I would not wish PGR bud on anyone, but for the most part, the states are happy to sell it to people at dispensaries.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:30 pm

Here in Canada you can grow your own but only a couple of plants, personal use level. The commercial stuff is strictly regulated and everything you buy has been tested for THC and CBD contents, which are listed on the label.
The cost of a few spliffs is for sure equivalent to the cost of a recreational bottle of wine, not more. For me it is super cheap to buy, because a 3.5 gram package that would make probably three good joints actually lasts me for 3-6 months at the rate I use it. I don't recall what I paid for that but I will check next time.
Also there is the 'no name' product at a much reduced price compared to named varieties. I had some of this last year and found it to be fine. Just checking the old labels I discovered this is the only one with measurable CBD as well as THC. Also checked the Tweed website because I liked a couple of their products, and they have several on offer with both THC and CBD, which for some reason they recommend for "first" users. Anyway I should look into that because to my mind there is an ideal balance. I liked their "Houndstooth" and "Donegal" products but they are purely cerebral no physical benefits there. No physical side effects is nice about them. IDK. I could spend a bunch of money finding something really optimal and helpful, that's for sure.
Edited to add: I don't have any motivation to go to the trouble of growing my own and learning to cure it properly, since I find it really inexpensive to buy what's commercially available and it's.. well, good enough. I might find a favorite yet.
temperate marine climate

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:11 pm

Back when I smoked weed I couldn't stand to wear clothes.
I can't stand clothes as it is or shoes and socks.
Robes are ok.
Worth

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:16 pm

karstopography wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:34 am But, isn’t THC is still a controlled substance on the federal level?
I don't think that affects the small time user. The feds aren't actively pursuing individuals in legal states. Don't possess it on federal property in legal states.

Banking in legal states is still an issue. Most marijuana businesses work on a cash basis. Just in the last few days changing banking regulations for the marijuana industry didn't have the votes in the omnibus bill.

To the best of my knowledge the marijuana seeds no longer fall under federal regulations due to their very small or lack of THC content. More baby steps to come but it is going to take a while.
Last edited by zeuspaul on Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Bower wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:30 pm Edited to add: I don't have any motivation to go to the trouble of growing my own and learning to cure it properly, since I find it really inexpensive to buy what's commercially available and it's.. well, good enough. I might find a favorite yet.
The proper harvest time and proper curing seems complex. Get out your magnifying glass and inspect the trichomes for the right color. And then dry and cure the right way.

I am sure you can get an optimum result using all the best procedures.

However they aren't necessary in my experience. I have had about a half dozen crops and all of my pot is three or four toke pot. I have harvested early and late and dried for a very long time or a small amount of time and I get about the same results. I had some hanging on a railing for a couple of months before placing in vacuum mason jars. I don't think I approached proper curing. But it is still three of four toke pot.

I think the various terpenes may be affected without proper procedures. But for me at least the primary ingredient (THC) seems to be totally adequate.

I agree about good enough. My saying is strive for perfection and settle for good enough. In my case growing a few plants outdoors is easier than finding and driving to a dispensary. And it is almost unbelievable that after fifty years all of a sudden it is legal! And now that growing is becoming some sort of a hobby just like growing tomatoes the subtle differences in pot are becoming more interesting. Medicinal properties are now of more interest.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:41 pm

The reason for curing is to convert chlorophyll into sugars.
The way in which you do this changes the flavor of the smoke.
I figure if you're going to grow you should strive for perfection.
At least I would for myself.
In another life before mass drug testing started in the 80's I was pretty involved in the science of said plant and had all manner of experiments going on under lights.
I'll put that stuff up against anything they have today.
Not everyone back then was smoking Mexican dirt weed.
To hear some of these people talk today you'd think they invented the wheel.
It is also a republican tool to not legalize it.
Its a lot stronger today they say.
Well not all of it and not all or less back then.
Then I start telling them about pollen with all xx chromosomes and how to get it and their heads start to swim.
Since some places only allow two plants how do you insure they are females since in nature its about 50 50 male female?
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:00 pm

Good to know @zeuspaul that curing process didn't seem to affect the quality. Maybe when I retire, I might consider growing my own. Or at least if or when I got to the point of knowing what I really like. One thing about growing your own anything, is knowing exactly how it was grown and prepared.
Back in the 70's when smoke and drugs were everywhere, I was never a big fan of pot. Hash was widely available and TBH it was so much more consistent. You never knew what pot would be like. It beats me that hash fell out of favor when it was the way more consistent and quality product. Not sure if anyone is producing it here at all. I can see the allure of the pot diversity - breed the one you like, or grow the one you like. But I doubt you will ever have the consistency of a resin product in the dry bud.
temperate marine climate

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:06 pm

worth1 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:41 pm Since some places only allow two plants how do you insure they are females since in nature its about 50 50 male female?
Buy feminized seeds.

Also available are auto vs photoperiod seeds. The photo seeds depend on the light duration to start flowering. This is the natural way. As the days get shorter the plants begin to flower. The autos are not light duration dependent. They begin to flower after x amount of days. My experience with autos is they are smaller plants likely due to the fixed amount of days they have to mature? I prefer the photos for outdoor in garden grows.

Return to “Growing Fiber Crops”