In appreciation of Brandy Boy F1

GardenGuy00
Reactions:

In appreciation of Brandy Boy F1

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:51 am

I'm not sure how many of you have tried this particular variety. As far as I'm aware it's sadly only available from Burpee, which isn't exactly known for its great prices. But in my opinion this one is more than worth a few extra dollars.

Brandy Boy was bred to replicate the appearance and flavor of heirloom tomatoes, particularly Brandywine, but with the yields we come to expect from modern varieties. In my experience it more than fits that description. The fruits look indistinguishable from a Brandywine in shape and size and taste about the same too. However, there is an unbelievable amount of yield! I usually get several dozen a year from just a single plant.

I strongly recommend this variety for anyone who's looking for the best of both worlds in terms of heirloom and hybrid tomatoes.

Shule
Reactions:

Re: In appreciation of Brandy Boy F1

Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:08 am

I grew it last year. I got a Burpee seed packet from The Home Depot. They're less expensive that way. I think Walmart sells Burpee seed packets, too.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

brownrexx
Reactions:

Re: In appreciation of Brandy Boy F1

Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 am

I have grown Brandy Boy for the past 2 years and it's a good one. I really like Brandywine's. This year Brandywine Suddeth grew really nicely but gave me only 4 ripe tomatoes during the ENTIRE season and they all had bad cracks at the stem end! I was speaking to another person who lives 10 miles away and he had the same result. I can't explain this and I will grow Brandywine again next year but it is puzzling and lucky for me that I was not depending on this variety.

I also grew Brandy Master and although they tasted good I didn't like how big they got. Each one was probably at least 1 lb. I like Brandy Boy much better.

I also had very good tomatoes from Brandywine Red but again they did not produce as many fruits as usual this year.

This is why I like growing the hybrids as well as heirlooms. I like to have a dependable harvest.

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”