Anyone Grow Staghorn Ferns Inside During the Winter

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Anyone Grow Staghorn Ferns Inside During the Winter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone grew Staghorn Ferns? I am in Zone 7b, so my 2 plants are outside during the summer and inside during the winter. These are young plants. The picture is of my slightly larger one. Any tips for the indoor time?[attachment=0]Staghorn Fern From LA.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhilaGardener
Reactions:

Re: Anyone Grow Staghorn Ferns Inside During the Winter

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 am

I have a nice large one that is well over a decade old now (PA, 6b ish) - as you are doing, it goes out in the summer and inside during the cold months. The shield fronds will cover that pot, and it will make "pups" (small plantlets) that you can use to propagate, or just keep for a larger specimen. I transfer it into the shower to water well (it can be a challenge to douse any other way once it gets large and those waxy shield fronds cover the pot.) Recurrent problems with scale, but it is easy to wipe the vegetative fronds with a cotton ball and a bit of 70% alcohol to stay ahead of things. I also recommend putting one of those water cup barriers on your hanging support when it is outside during the summer (the kind they make for hummingbird feeders) - that helps keep ants from making a nest in the coir!
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:07 pm

Yes, I once grew a Staghorn fern successfully indoors. It never went outside. It was grown in a wall pot with the fern hanging down.

Gardenboy
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:40 pm

My grandparents use to have one in the early 70's and it was a huge one...well over 30 y/o when they had it. I remember putting apple cores and banana peels in the top of the plant and letting it decompose into the plant to fertilize it.

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:36 pm

PhilaGardener wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 am I have a nice large one that is well over a decade old now (PA, 6b ish) - as you are doing, it goes out in the summer and inside during the cold months. The shield fronds will cover that pot, and it will make "pups" (small plantlets) that you can use to propagate, or just keep for a larger specimen. I transfer it into the shower to water well (it can be a challenge to douse any other way once it gets large and those waxy shield fronds cover the pot.) Recurrent problems with scale, but it is easy to wipe the vegetative fronds with a cotton ball and a bit of 70% alcohol to stay ahead of things. I also recommend putting one of those water cup barriers on your hanging support when it is outside during the summer (the kind they make for hummingbird feeders) - that helps keep ants from making a nest in the coir!
Thanks for the tip about the water cup barrier. I will do that before I put it out in the spring.

Return to “House Plants”