BHN 589 (F1)

Everything About Tomatoes
Greatgardens
Reactions:

BHN 589 (F1)

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:57 am

Here is another variety I'm thinking about for this coming season. Has anyone grown it? I'm mostly interested in its split and crack resistance. The past season, I grew Stellar and was really impressed. Virtually no cracks (radial or otherwise) even into October. I picked a bunch at the end of the season -- some blushing some just getting "white," and they all ripened great in the kitchen. Lasted into early December. Were they great? No, hardly, but they were at least as good as most alternatives from the grocery. (But not as good as Campari.)

Even under good summer conditions, Stellar is not a great tasting tomato IMO. It's just OK. So I'm still looking for a similar robust tomato plant with better taste. For example the Mountain series always have done well for me, and the best Mountain series slicer I have grown is Mountain Fresh Plus. But still could be better tasting, and also had lots of core in it.

BTW are there any OP/heirloom tomatoes that are very resistant to cracking/splitting? I'm curious because I've never found one thus far. Lots of tomato varieties don't have much cracking when they first start producing, but in my experience, almost 100% start radial cracking by late August -- early September (in 5b).

-GG

Shule
Reactions:

Re: BHN 589 (F1)

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:23 am

[mention]Greatgardens[/mention]

You might like Napoli. The fruits seem pretty durable (I have a hard time imagining they'd crack or split for you); it's a prolific paste (and the pastiest paste I know). Not that it was super flavorful for me, but I shaded it (some people think it tastes great, though). I plan to grow it with more sun next time.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

SusieQ
Reactions:

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:38 am

I grow BHN 589 every year both hydroponically and in the garden. It's a proven performer for us with good flavor. It's a larger tomato, perfectly red, and a customer favorite.
As far as cracking/splitting goes, I've never noticed a serious issue with this tom. In the garden, if there is inconsistent watering or heavy rains just prior to picking you may have a problem (though that's probably true with most tomatoes).
BTW, this tom always seems to be a little critter favorite as well.
Hope that helps,
Susie

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm growing it now for the first time. I am so impressed; I thought the determinate tomatoes would set fruit all at once but when I started picking the tomatoes, it was a couple at a time. The tomatoes are big and perfect. I am growing it in a 5 gallon root pouch outside. The plants are taller than I would have expected;

I'm also growing Defiant, which is a much smaller tomato, plant is also taller than expected. I was disappointed in the Defiant tomato size.

I have backup plants ready to use their cages because I didn't think the plants would still be producing. For comparison, Dwarf Project Pink Passion has stopped producing and has that 'I'm done look'.

589 tastes better than Mountain Fresh Plus in my environment.

Zero splitting; and we've had some heavy rains especially in mid-December.

That said, I bought seeds for the new Galahad ; AAS winner and same creator as Damsel. I just transplanted the seedlings to root pouches so can't compare yet.

ETA not tasting as good as Campari is a pretty low bar. The Campari's at the supermarkets here look good but really have no flavor.

For an OP/Heirloom - I'm growing Aunt Ginny's Purple (which is pink/red) and it's a good producer without cracking. Both times I've grown it has been in an Earthbox.

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:30 am

[mention]Barb_FL[/mention]
Thanks for your update on the varieties you are growing. I always find them very helpful!
-GG

SusieQ
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 pm

Barb_FL wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm
That's been my experience, too.

I've never tried Aunt Ginny's Purple. How's the taste?

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 pm

SusieQ wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 pm
Barb_FL wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm
That's been my experience, too.

I've never tried Aunt Ginny's Purple. How's the taste?
Really good; great in fact. I've grown it 2 consecutive years now; both times in an earthbox. Little stem scar, no cracking, it's a pretty tomato and productive. It's not purple at all; it's pink/red. For me, it's an heirloom that produces like a hybrid.

syros
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Momotaro is a beautiful tomato that has great taste and has perfectly shaped tomatoes. I obtained de-hybridized seeds from the Secret seed cartel - but either the hybrid or OP have been great to grow.

Return to “Tomato Talk”