I stopped receiving email notifcations of subscribed threads etc

JRinPA
Reactions:

I stopped receiving email notifcations of subscribed threads etc

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:35 pm

I stopped receiving email notifications of subscribed threads, etc. The last email I got from tomatojunction is dated 6/3/21. I didn't change anything on the forum settings, and I am still set up to receive emails. I did upgrade firefox browser about that time, first update for a long time, and that's the only thing I can think of that changed here.

I've tried logging out and logging back in a few days ago, still no emails that I should be receiving.

Any ideas? This PC is the only thing I use for forums and such.

EDIT I'll try clearing cookies /cache for tomatojunction, that is about all I can think of to try.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: I stopped receiving email notifcations of subscribed threads etc

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:41 pm

I cleared 12 cookies between tomatojunction.com and www.tomatojunction.com so I'll have to wait and see if that did it.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:57 pm

[mention]JRinPA[/mention] You can subscribe to a thread by using the tools marked by the wrench in the top left corner of your screen. If you want to receive notifications for that thread then click to subscribe. This way you pick and choose which threads that you will get notifications for.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:19 am

Okay, someone reply to this thread. I want to test to see if my email notifications work. It takes a while to find the right settings, though; they're not under your account. Go to Notifications->Settings (not to your account settings).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:20 am

Test
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 am

Okay, yes, mine work. It doesn't tell me what the person said, though.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:28 am

And yes you can also manage your notifications through your control panel. Go to your account in the top right corner. Open the control panel. Click the Board Preferences tab and then Edit notifications options. There is a lot that you can control under Board Preferences. Take a look and make it your own!
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:33 am

[mention]MissS[/mention]
I used to know that was there, but I couldn't find it when I was checking today. Thanks for the reminder. When I checked today, I thought I was just seeing the specific threads and forums I was subscribed to when I looked there. I must have looked at it wrong or something.

[mention]JRinPA[/mention]

When you go to Notifications->settings, is the checkbox checked next to Email, Notifications, both, or neither for the following category?

* Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked

Cookies and cache shouldn't affect the email notifications you receive.

It's possible your preferences got reset, somehow. So, configuring them again would help if they did.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:57 am

notificationpage.jpg
subscribedto.jpg
Like I said, nothing has changed that I can see. I should be getting emails for any thread I am subscribed in, or any PMs. I checked my email address in the usercp, that is corrected and unchanged. I just up and stopped receiving since 6/3/21 2:45 pm, when I got the last email for "memorial grow out for Remy". Then I realized people must not like something I said. It only took a year. Then I realized I probably have an email problem too. lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:56 am

Huh.

I think it only emails you once unless you visit it again. However, I suppose you have visited at least some of those threads again. So, I don't think that's the problem.

Look how many unread on-site notifications you have (157). If you mark them all read, do you get email notifications again? Maybe it won't email you about a thread until you clear the on-site notification about that thread. In that case, you'd still be getting notifications for brand new subscriptions.

Another possibility is you might actually be getting the emails, but they might not be getting to your inbox. They might be in your spam or junk folder. If you have a forwarding email, you'll probably want to check the spam/junk folders for both email accounts instead of just the one you forward the email to.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:16 am

[mention]JRinPA[/mention] are you getting other e-mails normally? My husband recently noticed that he had not gotten any email on his Chrombook for a long time. He reads them on his phone so he didn't really notice that they had quit showing up on his Chrombook.

I did some digging and discovered that the password for his email had disappeared on his Chrombook. He logs in to the Chrombook and it automatically checks email. He does not need to enter the password for email. I re-entered the password and now email is back to normal.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:02 am

Try going down to the bottom right hand corner of the page and delete cookies from there. I do know for a while that I had stopped receiving email notifications and I went to the Control Panel and reset everything. Then it went back to working fine.
~ Patti ~

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:28 am

It is possible your email provider is filtering the messages BEFORE they even get to a junk or spam folder. I've had it happen, I think a lot of of folks don't know that email providers often do this, if they think 100% chance it's spam, it won't even get your account, where further filters might put it in a junk or spam folder. If Patti's suggestions don't work, there is a chance it could be that. How to fix that....well I don't know. Also, if possible add the email address the notifications come from to your address book.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:39 am

[mention]JRinPA[/mention] Rajun just cleared our site cache, so hopefully that will fix your issue.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:43 am

Cookies? Spam? Caches?

This thread is making me hungry.

I think I'll buy a can of Spam and a package of oatmeal raisin cookies. A slice of Spam, with a slice of tomato. lettuce, and mayo, between two cookies. If it tastes good, I'll then prepare a cache (for the zombie apocalypse) with a couple of cases of each.

I can help fix any electronic communications via the Quintonian School of Thought...

And, if I disappear from here for awhile, it means that I figured out how to access the tool bar, and subsequently hit a wrong button.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:55 pm

1st fix try, notifications all marked "read". Someone reply to this now to test.

I think they may well be getting blocked at the pop3 level by my isp but I don't know why. Long ago when I had comcast I would get very spotty email reception from a buddy's onebox.com address. It was comcast blocking, and they would fix it, then it would be blocking again in no time. That was probably 15 years back.
As far as I know it is just tomatojunction not coming through. Other forums and other mail comes through fine. I get tville yet and others. A while back I had a similar issue with spotty emails received from another forum. I don't go there anymore so I can't say whether that still happens from that one.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:16 pm

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:41 pm

Did it work with pondgardner's post?

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 pm

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Patti ~

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 am

No still not workiung. Cleared notifications, nothing. Cleared cookies, nothing. Now I just whitelisted TJ on microblock origin, see what that does. But this all started 6/3/21 - none of these things had to be done before. I'm thinikng it is my ISP or - for some strange reason - the firefox update. If it was the firefox update, turning off ublock origin might be the fix. Maybe that extension is somehow blocking the necessary cookies.

Return to “Suggestions/Complaints/Report Problems”