Disease time... a bit early

Salaam
Reactions:

Disease time... a bit early

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Hello all,

Tomato production is at least three weeks early this year, and so are the unidentified diseases!
20210727_173401.jpg
20210727_173355.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 5A

bower
Reactions:

Re: Disease time... a bit early

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 am

Same disease footprint here Salaam. I believe it is one of the mildews, and comes with the hot and humid weather any time in the season.
If you look under the leaf that is turning purple, you should see light brownish spores. At least, that's what I think I'm seeing here.
Wish I could tell you what to do about it, but all I am doing is prune it out so it doesn't drop spores.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:43 pm

My two antho varieties are doing this, too. The others are ok.

AND THIS ! ?

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:08 pm

Here are some purple pics from mine fwiw to compare.
Purple streaks turn up in the upper canopy and directly related to the flow of air through greenhouse vents. Any exterior leaf surface can be affected whether old or new growth.
Underside is a shallow pile of spores. I didn't keep any long enough to see exactly what the late stages look like.
This swathe of purple appeared in one day.
mildew-upperleaf-purple-interveinal-151.JPG
This one has some yellowing too, and you can see at the tips what I believe to be mites biting. Pretty sure it is some biting thing.
mildew-upperleaf-color154.JPG
Underside looks pinky-brown and ready to carpet bomb the fruit! Red alert! :o
mildewleaf-underside186.JPG
Unfortunately in past experience, this affliction continues to blow in through the vents as long as it's both hot and humid. On times I have removed one layer of leaves, then another, then by golly they are close to leafless if the weather holds sway. But they are fine if they can survive as long as it takes, and get normal healthy leaves again as long as it's either too cold or too dry for this thing.
I'm thinking it's some kind of downy mildew, internet pics vary a lot so IDK for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”