Trellis Ideas

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Trellis Ideas

Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:43 am

Yesterday Pickles was poking around in Pinterest and ran across this piece about trellises. I've been using the t-post and hog panel (we call it hog wire or field fence) trellis for years. Works great as you can easily reach through that 6x6" mesh.

I like that t-post and twine idea and will try that with the cukes come spring since I plant them down the middle of a raised bed anyway. It won't be for decorative purposes but to keep the vines out of the walkways. Baling twine will be used. By guiding the vines up both sides initially to get them climbing, there should be more air flow among the vines since they're not all growing up one trellis.

Here's the link:

https://blog.seedsavers.org/which-trellis-is-the-best/

ddsack
Reactions:

Re: Trellis Ideas

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:09 am

I like the idea of slanting the T post and twine bed so that the fruit hangs free where you can more easily see it. I'm not so thrilled with the idea of trying to pound in and slant the T posts at an angle, and having to string so much twine, being a lazy person.

I might adapt this for my garden to use some existing 7 ft x 42" remesh panels (for laying cement) sideways to come together in a V in the center and just lay the top edges against upright T posts. For the extra height, I suppose you could use the string although that part would not be slanting out. I bought four of these panels a few years ago when they were on sale cheap, I see now they are more than twice what I paid for them. The only bad thing is they have extra wires sticking out on some sides that can scratch you badly unless you bend them in with a pliers.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 am

I've been rethinking that post and twine thing. I know that baling twine will stretch and sag some after a while and needs to be tightened. I could just as easily use the field fence on both sides. There was going to be a regular trellis tried anyway down the middle of the bed to get the vines off the ground and maybe avoid the eventual funk. But with one down each side it will spread out the vines more than having them all go up one trellis. Something to think about over the winter.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 am

That looks like my tomato trellis except for the twine. I use either 1/2 or 3/4 metal electric conduit. Much better access than reaching through a square. My posts are all vertical. The rows are about 2 feet apart such that I can crawl or walk down the middle for spring maintenance. The first horizontal bar is about 18 inches off the ground the rest are 12 inches. It stays in place from one season to the next. I keep string available to assist some plants by securing a branch to a bar. I also lay a 30 inch piece of wood across the bars as needed. 1 x 2s are good because they don't roll.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:44 pm

For sure the bed will be heavily mulched. I sure don't want to have to stretch through twine or fence to do any heavy weeding. :D

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:18 pm

Zip ties are great for securing poles or panels together. They come in a thousand sizes, black ones are UV protected. Super quick to deploy. Zip ties are actually reusable. A knife blade in the right spot will allow the tie to slide open.

Bamboo with a few of the smaller side branches left intact makes for a great trellis on its own, no need for any twine or ties. Vines will climb the little side branches easily. But, you have to have access to a stand of bamboo and permission to harvest some. But, if you have bamboo growing nearby, it’s super handy for virtually any type of trellis.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:29 pm

It is true they are reusable, zip ties that is, and I have opened hundreds with a knife point. So i have saved...2 cents each x 200 = $4.00 at most? For 200 chances of a serious poke or slice. Many times they are pulled all the wait tight and really awkward position. I don't think the risk/reward is worth it, yet I still find myself doing it at times.

With gas at $3.45 and still rising, I can't see much reason for not using a sidecutter on zipties. Cut it behind the feed and half of it can still be re-used for a smaller bundle, or two linked back together. I save the cutoff ends for "plastic welding". I used some of them and some milk jug on a worn through Jet Sled last year; new Jet Sleds are well over $50 now.

About that trellis page, I just really despise chicken wire. The pokes and scratches from broken links. Peas climb it, yes, but so do weeds that mix in. The chicken wire deforms with bends when you have to remove it. I don't plan to ever buy an more of that stuff. Peas climb CRW as well, and I like the CRW positioned up about 6" high so it can be weeded underneath. Everything outside the pea band are weeds, easily scraped out.

@GoDawgs For a bailing twine V trellis - can bailing twine be tied in a tautline hitch? I use the poly tomato twine for florida weaves and such and that can be tightened up easily even after months in the weather. If it balks I just need to wet it with spit and run it back an inch first, before pulling it tighter.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Must agree with you about chicken wire @JRinPA and how the heck are you supposed to pick the peas inside the A frame if it is a decent length. That set up probably works well if made no wider than about one yard/meter and the mesh is permanently nailed to the frame, otherwise for a decent crop you would lose a lot, either space between short A frames or peas you can't reach.

Because I am fortunate enough to be able to set up permanent frames, my next ones for peas will be double sided cattle mesh (12 x 6 inch) nailed to 5 or 6 x 1.5 or 2 inch timber uprights. The mesh is plenty big enough for hands to go through and double siding will keep wind blown plants under control. Plant in line midway between mesh

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:58 am

@JRinPA , I don't see why your knot wouldn't work. I use a quick release version of a clove hitch sometimes and most times just use a square knot. If I twist the baling twine tag end to make the twine tight, it's easily pushed back through the square knot to start untying it, take up slack and re-tie if necessary. This only works with plastic baling twine which is all I use. When taking it down I just cut the twine at the knot, tie it onto my spool of saved baling twine and roll it up for another use on another day. Waste not, want not. :)

I'm not a fan of chicken wire either for use in the garden. Not user friendly at all!

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:16 am

I have like 4 knots that I use, it is quite sad. I can never remember a clove hitch, or maybe I use it wrong. Simple on paper, but I'll always turn to two half hitches for a quick tie off.
I use:
tautline hitch (for tensioning)
figure 8 (for loops or stoppers)
sheet bend (for joins)
bowline (easy untie but only a half strength knot)
constrictor for closing bags
hangman's/slip noose for lanyards
plus some fishing/boating knots but in general this is what I use for twine or rope.
Well, it's more than 4, but for all the knots I have tried and practiced, few have stuck. But at least I can tie these in the dark or up a tree.

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:50 pm

I used cattle panel and T posts for my tomatoes, beans and squashes to trellis them this year and it was the best thing I've ever done! Easy to maintain and pick, great structural support against high winds, and affordable. Great to use for vertical gardening or if you have a small yard like me! I used plant velcro to keep everything on the trellises and had no problems! Here are some photos for reference.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 am

We tried the panels probably the best for endurance and cost up front.We had issues with the heat down here at 10 b,it heated the metal as to burn the vines.So we went to the mesh,we use the lightest,bit more meshes are available.These here have been in sun for three years,showing signs of degradation now.
7FD2031C-132F-4CD9-807B-CAC203C974F3.jpeg
74836F15-2DE2-451F-B601-E28DD7D33F49.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 am

@Kurt, I wouldn't have thought about hot wire unless I lived there. Great mention!

What were you using for shading?

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:05 am

Correction on the wording for the trellis suggestions.The metal mesh down here is called sidewalk,road mesh etc.Cattle panels are different.

https://arrowquip.com/cattle-equipment/ ... ral-panels

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:02 pm

Vigoro 6 ft. x 20 ft. Almond Matrix Grid Sun Shade Fabric.
Works like a charm.lasts here,let’s the us rays in cools down temps.no molds,

Vigoro 6 ft. x 20 ft. Almond Matrix Grid Sun Shade Fabric

Cajun-Hydroponics
Reactions:

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 am

This is what I did for a trellis. Its permanent and it was early in the season but it a was the shortest video I had.
I used cement wire. The rolled type. It also has the 6x6 holes in it like the hog panels but much cheaper. It does get a bit of rust but not as much as you would think as long as it's not touching the ground.
The length of time they will last is over 10 years.
Some of the panels on the trellis are from my old garden at the property and 10 years running still good.
It's not easy to install because of the tight roll they come in but the effort is well worth the price savings.

Danny
Reactions:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:22 pm

For a permanent trellis, I have used either hog or cattle panels, or remesh type concrete wire fixed with wire to T posts. I like to be lazy at the end of the season and use a propane burner to get rid of the tomato or vining plants, so the metal holds up well to that and when the plants are growing. Helps with disease stuff to burn it off. I have big folding tomato cages that I wire to the panels for the tomatos and they get burned off at end of season too.

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”