Reefer Freezer Fix Worked

Share your projects and tips
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Reefer Freezer Fix Worked

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:14 am

Water started appearing in the freezer of the refrigerator and would freeze the small plastic storage boxes to the floor of the freezer. Sometimes it would drip down into the refrigerator's top shelf. Pickles, as always ever the tinkerer, looked up the problem on You Tube. It seems the most likely problem was that the defrost water drain tube was frozen up. The water is supposed to trickle down the drain tube and into a pan at the bottom of the reefer where the water evaporates.

After transferring frozen stuff to the big freezer and packing up refrigerator contents in coolers with ice, we pulled out the reefer and Pickles removed the panel at the bottom of the back. There was the tray and at the end of the drain tube was a rubber nipple with a small slot in the bottom for the water to drip through. It seems the nipple was a bit stuck shut. The nipple was removed (water came out of the line) and it was cleaned with a small sliver cut off the end to open it up a little more. Then the reefer sat all day with the doors open to defrost the line it that was the problem.

It worked. The reefer has been up and running without any problem in the freezer part. Now, whether the problem was solely the fault of the nipple or a frozen line isn't known but because there was no more water coming into the tray from a defrosting line I'm guessing that the nipple was the sole problem. And easy and cheap fix. Yay for You Tube and a tinkering sister!

brownrexx
Reactions:

Re: Reefer Freezer Fix Worked

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:33 am

Good for you guys!

We had rental properties for many years and usually when we found water leaking it was the fault of the defrost timer so that may be something to have replaced if your fix does not work. It wasn't usually an expensive fix.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:06 am

Mine was stopped up by an English pea.
I thought I had a mischievous ghost in the house.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:58 pm

If things get shoved in front of the vents in the top freezer of my fridge I get puddles on the top shelf every time.
My house came with an old fridge that quit working. Having little to lose and not much money I removed the box of the freezer to see what was behind that and found a small plastic fan with all the blades broken off it. Went to a wrecker friend and got another with all the blades still there from an old scrapped fridge. Replaced the broken fan blades and that fridge lasted another 20 yrs when I upgraded before selling the house and it was still working fine but looked awful with tiny rust spots on the door.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:22 pm

The thread title had me thinking something was going up in smoke.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:22 pm The thread title had me thinking something was going up in smoke.
United Fruit.
Maybe you can work your way up to picking those blank blank bananas.
Burp.
kurtz-phelan-600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “What's in the workshop?”