Reactions:

Sweet Potato Harvest.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:50 am

Sweet Potato Harvest.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Sweet Potato Harvest.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am

Loved the video! What variety are the sweet potatoes? Does the pine bark you put on top of the beds for winter decay enough that you can dig it into the bed in the spring? And what do you do with the clay you removed from the beds and put in buckets? If I removed all the clay from my garden, all I would have left is rocks. I'm wondering if you have some clay rehabilitation method.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Thank you, these are Beauregard Sweet Potatoes.

This is the first year with Pine Bark Mulch in this bed, however, they are Pine Bark fines and I do use them in my Self Wicking beds and in my potting mixes, I usually do a cover crop in the upper garden raised beds. so we will see what happens. I was actually hoping the Pine Bark Fines don't decay that quickly, that is why I chose them, in the spring I would just plant through the mulch.

The fall is what I am wondering what to do if the mulch is still intact. I would probably rake the mulch to the side, harvest one side of the sweet potatoes, then rake the mulch back in place.
The other bed I am doing a cover crop of oats, I will post that video next week or by the end of this week, hopefully.

Last year I used a winter rye cover crop that worked out great, I just covered with a tarp about 4 weeks before planting in the beds and everything died back..

I do recycle some of the clay. Clay soil is underrated. I will run it through my compost bin on occasion, however, I had so much compost and extra yard waste this year that I tossed it.

Julianna
Reactions:

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Clay is the best base!

I love the idea of saving slips off the vine. I will try that this year. It is my first year of sweet potatoes and I realized I made the critical error of not realizing the conditions they needed to cure. So i am not sure how mine will taste.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”