First Catalog has Arrived!

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
GoDawgs
Reactions:

First Catalog has Arrived!

Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Oh my. It isn't even Thanksgiving yet. This is the earliest I have ever gotten a catalog!

Pinetree came today.

Hmmm, I just checked last year's calendar. Pinetree was again the first to arrive, on Nov 21, so I guess it isn't THAT early. Time sure does fly!

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Re: First Catalog has Arrived!

Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:34 pm

I got an email from Seed-n-Such https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subscrip ... &r=FkrVnrD; that count...?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:33 pm

I got my Tomato Growers catalog in today's mail.

Julianna
Reactions:

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Grossed did a digital one.a.few.weeks ago but Pinetree was the first in the mail!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:26 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:34 pm I got an email from Seed-n-Such https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subscrip ... &r=FkrVnrD; that count...?

The Gotch
No it does not. That is not their catalog. Just a note about their shipping. They are still promoting their fall line-up on their website and state that their 2021 catalog is available for download.
~ Patti ~

Gardadore
Reactions:

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:09 pm

Fedco was first for me. Don’t remember it being this early.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:14 pm

I got my Pinetree Gardens catalog 3 days ago, and Botanical Interests yesterday. I got HPS a couple weeks earlier, but didn't keep it - it's for larger amounts of seed, for commercial growers.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:10 am

We got Tomato Growers and Pine Tree Garden Seeds a couple days ago, or so.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:36 am

Tomato Growers was first (and only so far) for me on Weds.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:33 am

Gardadore wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:09 pm Fedco was first for me. Don’t remember it being this early.
My Fedco was their fall bulb catalog I have not gotten their seed catalog and I think their website has not been restocked yet. I know their potatoes just opened a few days ago...
Like others in the thread I do have Pinetree have had it about a week now I think. Giggle set it aside until I know what I don't need to buy after the swap...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 am

Pine Tree and Tomato Growers arrived this week. Botanical Interests arrived a month or so ago, they're always the earliest for me.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:40 pm

I cut through the book/magazine aisle at WalMart today, and there it was staring back at me, Baker Creek's The Whole Seed Catalog.

I should be done with it in a few weeks. After that, I'll take usernames of those in the MMMM swap, put them in a hat, and pick out the one to send the catalog to. I'll post this over in the swap area, too.

Who's in?

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:49 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:40 pm I cut through the book/magazine aisle at WalMart today, and there it was staring back at me, Baker Creek's The Whole Seed Catalog.

I should be done with it in a few weeks. After that, I'll take usernames of those in the MMMM swap, put them in a hat, and pick out the one to send the catalog to. I'll post this over in the swap area, too.

Who's in?
Me! We could pass it around. That would be fun.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:40 pm I cut through the book/magazine aisle at WalMart today, and there it was staring back at me, Baker Creek's The Whole Seed Catalog.

Who's in?
You can put my Name in the hat.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:28 pm

You folks are so lucky to still have hard copy catalogues. Down here everything is online

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:14 pm

Whwoz wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:28 pm You folks are so lucky to still have hard copy catalogues. Down here everything is online
Yeah, but our catalogs are printed upside down.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Whwoz wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:28 pm You folks are so lucky to still have hard copy catalogues. Down here everything is online
That's the pits. Progress that isn't. I gotta have my printed catalog. I can take it anywhere without lugging some tablet or phone around (can't even imagine looking at a catalog on a danged phone!). I can drop it, spill coffee on it, etc without destroying it. It uses no electricity, doesn't eat up my online time, can be used to swat flies, is lightweight and if I had a table with a wobbly leg I could shove it under the leg if necessary to stabilize it. :)

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:48 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm
That's the pits. Progress that isn't. I gotta have my printed catalog. I can take it anywhere without lugging some tablet or phone around (can't even imagine looking at a catalog on a danged phone!). I can drop it, spill coffee on it, etc without destroying it. It uses no electricity, doesn't eat up my online time, can be used to swat flies, is lightweight and if I had a table with a wobbly leg I could shove it under the leg if necessary to stabilize it. :)
Lightweight? The Whole Seed Catalog tips the scales at almost 3 pounds. It's too thick to roll up for fly swatting, and to shove under a table leg.

And in a dire emergency, no need to hoard the paper product that WalMart is depleted of. This catalog will, page by page, last a long time.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:35 am

@Tormato, I was talking about regular seed catalogs, not that Baker behemoth. LOL! I bought their Whole Seed Catalog several years ago so I won't put my name in the hat. The photography is beautiful! They seem to be enlargements of many of their online photos but that reveals some details not seen in the small versions.

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm

I got an email from seeds 'n such recently. I clicked on the link to see if they again have my favorite tomato seed. I located the heatmaster seed and closed the web page. A day or so later, I got another email from them asking if I plan on ordering the heatmaster seed I looked at and saying they may sell out quickly. In the past, no one else carried Heatmaster seed, so I ordered their "bulk" heatmaster seed (fifty seeds). I've always enjoyed doing business with Seeds 'n Such, but their product prices and shipping cost's were excessive. As a result, all my other seed was ordered from other vendors. Their product prices and shipping charges seemed more reasonable this year.

I received my first catalog from Tomato Growers Supply today. TGS has always been one of my "go to" vendors because of their association with Dr. Carolyn Male. She had high regard for them and they seemed to hold her opinions in high regard concerning which tomato varieties to stock.I looked through the catalog and discovered they also carry my heatmaster seed aaaannd they also have Mammoth Jalapeno seeds. I nearly fell out of my chair when I found the Mammoth seeds listed. I had purchased "mammoth" seeds from various vendors over the years only to discover they were some other variety like Tam or even long red cayenne peppers from China. It's hard to tell the difference before the plant grows. Mammoth does have slightly larger leaves, and they are easy to identify when the huge pods develop on very tall plants. In the past, it meant I had to rush out to one of the big box stores selling Bonnie plants just before the spring plant sales ended. I had to pay $3.95 each for the Bonnie plants which were destined for the trash pile until I rescued them. I really hated doing business with Bonnie plants through the big box stores. Thanks to TGS, I no longer need to.

Return to “General Discussion”