An unusual WW bread, using yogurt whey and spelt

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

An unusual WW bread, using yogurt whey and spelt

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:34 pm

I baked a loaf of WW bread today - this time, using some spelt flour. This was something that I bought by accident - stupid me :roll: - but when I got a bag of what I thought was dark rye (the other 3 were, and is usually the only flour I get at the Amish market), as soon as I emptied it into the (fortunately) empty container, I saw the red color. Sooooo, I figured I'd make stuff for a lady I know, that uses spelt for the few things she bakes - says it doesn't bother her, like hard wheat, for some reason.

For the liquid in this, I used some of the whey drained from yogurt, when making Greek yogurt. Took a little longer to rise, due to the acid, but the flavor wasn't as sour as I was expecting. I only rose it 100 min, to start, then close to an hour in the pan. Same proportions of the same stuff I put in rye all the time - 1/2 tb salt, 2 tb blackstrap, and 2 tb oil, to just under 4 c flour. and about 1 1/4 c whey, to a tb Instant yeast.
ImageUnbaked spelt bread - made with yogurt cheese whey, for the liquid. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked spelt/yogurt whey bread by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: An unusual WW bread, using yogurt whey and spelt

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Spelt makes an awesome bread. I prefer it to whole wheat.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:17 pm

Good to know about spelt as an alternative grain with having more time for bread baking in the off season. I have to look this up later but need (well , supposed to ) go off whole grains and vegetables for a full week pre-colonoscopy. I'm such a carb junkie ... the good kind though.
-L.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Spelt is my favorite for bread. I'm so hooked on it, I fall planted my first spelt in August, and it got nearly a foot tall already. Spelt is northern stuff, they say no worries about winter, but it needs a long time to grow so fall planting is the key...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:15 pm

I never thought about using the yogurt whey for bread, thanks for the tip. I make yogurt in the instant pot then drain it because I like it a little thicker. Now I will have to look for some spelt flour.
:)

Return to “The Bakery”