Gypsy Hybrid

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Gypsy Hybrid

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Anyone have any experience with this variety in containers?

Two (2) seasons in raised boxes featured above average results, but a taller variety (Mama Mia Giallo or Carmen) will squeeze it out; it seemed compact enough to try in a pot along with the Roulette Hybrids.

Open to other compact, sweet choices.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Gypsy Hybrid

Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:51 pm

I've read great things about it, but never grown it. I've grown Neapolitan, though, which is supposed to be similar, and I liked that. Neapolitan can be sweet, but there are sweeter peppers (e.g Jimmy Nardello Italian). I don't know how Neapolitan compares to Gypsy F1 in flavor or plant size. My Neapolitan plants weren't huge, but they weren't tiny. Neapolitan can do decently in containers. I've grown it both ways (ground and containers).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:29 pm

@Shule; the Gotchberg Organic Garden Emporium is, I'm loathe to report, a Zero Sum Game; something new can't come in until something is deleted to make room.

That said, I was bequeathed some Jimmy Nardello seeds from a local e-pal, who sang them emphatic praises; your recommendation could push them into the rotation.

This past season's experience of grilling Sweet Peppers (a late discovery for which I have only myself to blame) has me choosing larger, thicker walled varieties that hold up better to heat than Sweet Bananas

Other than eight (8) good sized containers, the space dedicated to Sweet Peppers is limited to two [2] ~4 foot/1.22 m x >11 foot/3.35 m raised beds. My learning how to NOT overplant those is a...um...work in progress.

Last season, there were 16 plants per box. 28 of the plants I tended (Atris, Carmen, Sweet Sunset, Mama Mia Giallo, Sweet Banana) got WAY too top heavy (adversely affecting the yield), even after propping them up with old tomato cages. Shoot, had to press gardening poles and beau coup T-stakes into the mix...because the old tomato cages (no longer with us) weren't cuttin' it.

That number of plants in those boxes became difficult to tend mid to late season, too close together and not conducive to a tender in their mid-60s

The four (4) that didn't suffer Too-Tallness? The Gypsys! Go figure...

Anywho, four (4) varieties/total 13 plants per box this coming season; two (2) lucky breeds'll get an extra!

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

ddsack
Reactions:

Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:33 am

Gypsy F1 has done well in the garden or in pots for me. Not a fussy plant, and I do like it for earliness and productivity, fine taste when ripe. Would not be my only pepper however, as I do prefer a bit more size to my peppers. It's been a shorter plant for me, so definitely would grow in a pot.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 am

Not a big pepper guy, but over the years I have grown maybe 20 varieties, and have found nothing that I like better than Gypsy. Great production and turn red easily. Less easy into sept, tho. Thick walled like a bell pepper but more elongated. Have them side by side w/ Cal Wonders this year. No comparison in production, and the Gypsy taste better. I have grown Carmen, which is nice, but thin walled, and easily damaged (hail and insetcts boring in). Carmen may have a slight edge in flavor, because its flesh is dryer with less water. I keep saying I am done with all sweets except Gypsy, then I try another. Have 7 gypsy plants, and have frozen way more than I can use in one year. Start plants earlier than tomatoes, here in Mich. I love OP, but the price of seeds for anything that is really good is well worth it. I grow jalepenos, for a hot pepper, and will be going back to a hybrid on that also. Gigantia Jalepeno from Tomato Growers Supply. Twice the size of many Jals. I love poppers, and these are great for that. Productive, 2' plants.

Return to “Sweet Peppers”