Best sugar snap pea?

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Best sugar snap pea?

Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:54 am

With generally a 5-7 day earlier harvest, I go with Super Sugar Snap over Sugar Snap. My season for peas can be extremely short.

Next year, I plan to try a very thick layer of mulch on most of the plants, with a small no mulch control group, in order to see if there might be any improvement in heat tolerance.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:30 am

@Seven Bends, I thought the Sugar Ann had an odd taste to them. They weren't as sweet as Sugar Snap either but it was the taste that I disliked the most. Other people like them which is partly why I grew them (and because they are earlier than the other varieties I planned to grow) so you should try to see what you think. I packaged my extra seeds to send to the MMMM swap.

This photo shows the normal Sugar Snap (picked and by my thumb) and the off-type Sugar Snap (still on the vine at the tips of my fingers) that I got.
IMG_5736-Different shaped Sugar Snap Peas-resize.jpg

@karstopography, let us know what you think of them. I love comparing varieties of things but think I'm just going to grow two next year in different areas of the garden to collect seeds from them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:29 pm

I have sugar sprint if you want to try them. They are treated, I think. I buy peas for me and my brother...by the 5 lb bag lol. I also have Oregon Sugar Pod II which is a snow pea.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:33 pm

I also get a few snow peas mixed in with my wholesale size bags. It is probably less than .5% mixed or crossed but a big snow pea does look odd and off color in a row of snap peas.

Return to “Garden Peas”