2022/2023 variety questions and maybe answers

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Re: 2022/2023 variety questions and maybe answers

Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:47 pm

@colcol2 - I believe you sent in "Delphinium - light blue". I'm getting ready to plant out my seedlings and am trying to decide where to put it in the flower bed based on height. Can you tell me if this is one of the short varieties like ''Blue Butterfly' or one of the tall varieties. Or what variety the seeds came from if you know and I can Google it.

Also, I'm growing your Veronica 'First Love' seeds. Thank you so much for sharing these. I use to grow Veronica 'Red Fox' at my former house and have been looking for it to grow again. From what I Googled, this one looks similar so I'm excited to add it to my garden. Thank you!

Edit: I just went outside to check on my seedlings and discovered that the Delphinium seedlings died. And the pots that were supposed to hold the Veronica are something else that look like a nightshade weed. Dang. I still have seeds for both I believe so I will try again.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm

My Delphinium is not only tall over 4 feet, it's a thug reaching out across the other plants. One of the main big stems loaded with buds about to open had to be cut off. I didn't know there was a shorter version, that would be nice.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 am

LindaJean wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm My Delphinium is not only tall over 4 feet, it's a thug reaching out across the other plants. One of the main big stems loaded with buds about to open had to be cut off. I didn't know there was a shorter version, that would be nice.
'Summer Nights' gets to only about a foot tall.

Which reminds me, for the next swap, that many participants request only short (usually about 18" max, or so) or only tall flowers. So, having height info on the seed pack label will help sort things out.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:19 pm

the tesukabuto squash seeds are sprouting, two out of three so far.
this is a hybrid. gary i think you expressed an interest in getting some seeds back?
if i get ripe squash, they will have been pollinated by either sweet fall or gills sugar
hubbard. both are excellent squash. do you want seeds sent back in for experimental
category for the next swap assuming there is one?

keith

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:40 pm

LindaJean wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm My Delphinium is not only tall over 4 feet, it's a thug reaching out across the other plants. One of the main big stems loaded with buds about to open had to be cut off. I didn't know there was a shorter version, that would be nice.
@LindaJean - I grow Delphinium grandiflorum 'Blue Butterfly.' It only gets approx. 12 - 15 inches tall and is more bushy than the tall varieties that I'm familiar with. I think this variety is supposed to be a mix of different shades of blue. When I started seeds that I purchased in 2021, only one seed germinated and it produced the most stunningly vivid cobalt blue flowers that I've ever seen. I didn't plant any other seeds from the packet because I wanted more of this gorgeous color. Last year I collected seeds from it and sent them into the MMMM. If you didn't get any, I might still have some that I could send to you if you are interested. I'll post photos showing the color. The photos don't do it justice though. This color is VIVID!

The light blue Delphinium that I got in the swap I planned to grow at the other end of the garden, 30+ feet away, to try to keep them from crossing.
IMG_4131 - Delphinium Blue Butterfly.JPG
IMG_4383 - Delphinium Blue Butterfly.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:07 am

Tormato wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 am
'Summer Nights' gets to only about a foot tall.

Which reminds me, for the next swap, that many participants request only short (usually about 18" max, or so) or only tall flowers. So, having height info on the seed pack label will help sort things out.
Corrales Azafrán safflower is a great short flower. Very easy to grow and seems to sprout in many temperatures (so it can work well for succession planting). The plants are prickly, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

LindaJean
Reactions:

Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:55 am

IMG_5504.JPG
Shule, I managed to look those up at Baker's Creek RARESEEDS and read the reviews without even a glance at any of their other seeds, not tempted - that's a first.
My last rose got planted yesterday , just a few more flower seeds and planting is done for the year. Slaving over the garden has been exhausting even though mine is pitifully small.
We're in for more Idaho thunder storms tomorrow , batten down the hatches.
I wonder if you got any of my MMM Swap seeds ;
Mira the amaranth is trying to grow faster than the bugs can bite her.
I'm considering Fall sowing for some of the flowers that didn't have time to mature the first year.
IMG_5509.JPG
IMG_5507.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colcol2
Reactions:

Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:19 am

DSCF4234.JPG
WoodSprite wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:47 pm @colcol2 - I believe you sent in "Delphinium - light blue". I'm getting ready to plant out my seedlings and am trying to decide where to put it in the flower bed based on height. Can you tell me if this is one of the short varieties like ''Blue Butterfly' or one of the tall varieties. Or what variety the seeds came from if you know and I can Google it.

Also, I'm growing your Veronica 'First Love' seeds. Thank you so much for sharing these. I use to grow Veronica 'Red Fox' at my former house and have been looking for it to grow again. From what I Googled, this one looks similar so I'm excited to add it to my garden. Thank you!

Edit: I just went outside to check on my seedlings and discovered that the Delphinium seedlings died. And the pots that were supposed to hold the Veronica are something else that look like a nightshade weed. Dang. I still have seeds for both I believe so I will try again.
WoodSprite -- Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I would have planted some of the seeds I saved from Veronica First Love. (I think it's too late in the season now but I might just try it anyway).
My Light Blue Delphinium grows around 4'. It has been a great plant for me and bumblebees love it.
DSCF3042.JPG
This is a picture of my Veronica 'First Love'. I'm concerned the seeds you planted were weeds. Please tell me results of trying them again.
I added Veronica 'Red Fox' to my garden this year and it looks just like 'First Love'. I thought it would be more red!
DSCF4234.JPG
I have the best results with wintersowing my perennials.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:52 pm

NYTomatoNewbie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:06 pm I am brand new to this site. I have tried to read through posts and comments, but I am very overwhelmed. Could someone please let me know where to find instructions/explanation of how the MMMM swap works? Thank you for your help and time!
As the host, the swap is whatever you want the swap to be, for you.

No set rules/instructions other than you send me a bubble mailer, contents being a LEGIBLE return address, your wish list, and return postage. If you will have seeds to send in, that is the bonus for the rest of us.

There is supposed to be this deadline for me receiving seeds of about December 1st, November 20th, or so, for procrastinators. One of these years I might see the deadline met. (newbies might get the chocolate bribe for achieving the deadline)

There are still about 3, or more, months for asking questions (there are no dumb questions). I recommend that you start working on, and revising multiple times, your wish list. ;)

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Re: 2022 variety questions and maybe answers

Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:34 pm

Gabby1 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:03 am
Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:55 pm Looking for any information on the following tomato varieties. I generally like to record - fruit color, fruit type, fruit size, days to maturity, leaf type, plant growth habit and country of origin. Any of that information would be helpful.

Babynka [could not find any info]
Boggs Yellow [could not find any info - safe to assume it is yellow]
Bula Kowski [could not find any info]
Cosmic Jewel [could not find any info]
Elbonian Mudslinger [I only know it is a dark tomato that originated with Tormato?]
Galaktika [could not find any info]
German Johnson, Benton strain [similar to German Johnson, but not sure how it differs. PL?]
Jesse Saylor [could not find any info]
Karla's Atrisco [I only know it is a small pink slicer, indeterminate]
Primorski Pacug [red slicer from Slovenia]
Shokoladnaya Sosulka [brown regular leaf paste from Ukraine]

I am sure I will have several more to add as I go through the dragon's hoard I was sent by Tormato.
Boggs Yellow is a Heirloom from Carter Co. Kentucky. Grown by my dear friend for many years. She obtained seed from an elderly woman many years ago who grown it before her for a long time. Beautiful yellow slicer with some ribbing. Very nice balanced tomato with a sweet fruity undertone. This will be my 3rd year growing it. When dead ripe it looks almost orange.
Does anyone know if Boggs Yellow is Indet./Det., Days to Maturity, Leaf type, and approximate height? I can't find anything online. Thank you!
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Missed you all terribly! :cry:

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:24 pm

My notes say I only grew on red tomato this year which was Alaskan Fancy... What I got were yummy thick walled round red tomatoes. Is that correct for them? Most of the descriptions I can find say red plum shaped... I am saving seeds from them because we liked them but want to make sure it is correct before I send in any seeds for the swap.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:29 am

I was unsuccessful in a search for these tomato varieties. Does anyone have a description?

Permoga 165 - I found a description for “Peremoga,” but not sure if this is the same

Babaskin Posteluj

Grandee

Marmelad Zeltyi

Parika

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:43 am

NYTomatoNewbie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:29 am I was unsuccessful in a search for these tomato varieties. Does anyone have a description?

Permoga 165 - I found a description for “Peremoga,” but not sure if this is the same

Babaskin Posteluj

Grandee

Marmelad Zeltyi

Parika
Permoga 165 is Peremoga 165: https://gardens.desigusxpro.com/en/toma ... emoga.html

Grandee was discussed here back when the thread was "2021 variety questions and maybe answers;" you'll find it with "grandee" in the search box here. Or go here: https://gardenlux.decorexpro.com/en/sad ... tzyvy.html

Marmelad Zeltyi is "Yellow Marmalade." Try here: https://gardens.desigusxpro.com/en/toma ... adnyj.html or google "yellow marmalade tomato seeds."

Babaskin Posteluj: @BettyC-5 said: Will also send "Babaskin Posteluj". The seeds came from Farmer Shawn and were some of Carolyn's seeds. I picked this one because I couldn't find any information on it. It turned out a round medium yellow tomato. Nice balanced flavor. One I would grow again.

Parika: @eyolf says: Parika was a heart-shaped, incredibly-productive canner with dry flesh and firm consistency. Merely OK as a fresh tomato, two plants surprised us with the amount of fruit jars filled. As a bonus, it processes more easily and stacks up faster than most posters.
It will be submitted to the MMMM swap soon.
Parika
IMG_20220807_094946691.jpg

(sorry, I don't think that image link is going to work, but if you put Parika in the search box here, you'll get @eyolf's original post with the image.)

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:42 pm

@Seven Bends Thank you!!

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm

@NYTomatoNewbie Correct spelling of #2 is Babushkin Potseluy (Grandma’s Kiss).
Small community garden plot in zone 7 (DC area)

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:23 pm

Does anyone know how tall Black Amber tomato gets?

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:39 pm

NYTomatoNewbie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:23 pm Does anyone know how tall Black Amber tomato gets?
Here's a link to a pic of a Black Amber plant (collapsed under the weight of the tomatoes).
http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php ... ostcount=1

The label description of fruit size, for packs in the swap, seems to be much different than that pic.

HL2601
Reactions:

Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:31 pm

I believe I may be the one who sent in Black Amber. Here is a pic of my fruit. Fruit were smaller than I expected and quite flattened but great tasting. The plant was prolific and about 6.5 ft tall. The seeds I used were from MMMM from 2016.
IMG_5184.jpeg

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:10 pm

from a different year, i dug out waladecks polish giant.

polish giant i see on internet says big pink beefsteak.
would waladecks be about the same? seeds are from 2014.

keith

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:27 pm

rxkeith wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:10 pm from a different year, i dug out waladecks polish giant.

polish giant i see on internet says big pink beefsteak.
would waladecks be about the same? seeds are from 2014.

keith
Waladeck's is pink but that's about all I know about it.
~ Patti ~

Return to “MMMM Swap”