2022/2023 variety questions and maybe answers

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

2022/2023 variety questions and maybe answers

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:31 am

This thread is for varieties where participants can't find descriptions. (there is a search bar, here, and the rest of the internet to do initial searching)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: 2021 variety questions and maybe answers

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 pm

Good idea.

OK, I have several MMMM varieties that I've searched for and can't find except what info, if any, came with the seeds. Need to fill in some blanks on my spreadsheet.

Flor de Artana - need DTM, leaf type, shape, tomato type,
Ramallet des Figueral - need DTM, leaf type, shape, tomato type, det or indet.
Shokoladnaya Sosulka - need DTM, leaf type, det or indet, fruit size
Swoon - how big does this one get and how big are the fruits?
Aunt Eula's Rockhouse Pink - Found AE Rockhouse Red... does the pink version have the same characteristics?
Blue Berries Desire' Sommers - this was what was on the label. No info on this one.
Elbonian Mudslinger. :D
Enduro - no info at all
Pink Heart - no info at all
Timpurii - I think it's a heart from Romania but that's all I could find and that might not be right. Had to use the Microsoft translator to read a Romanian paragraph.
Last edited by GoDawgs on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:41 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 pm Good idea.

OK, I have several MMMM varieties that I've searched for and can't find except what info, if any, came with the seeds. Need to fill in some blanks on my spreadsheet.
Amish Yellow-Orange Oxheart (several different ones out there. I wonder which this is)
Premus - need the shape on this one
If it's the Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart that I sent in to Mmmm in 2020, it should have been identified as being grown by OhioGardener or OH PR D2 (my SSE designation). The seed for the parent plants was sourced directly from the Heritage Food Crops Research Trust with a USDA import permit because I wanted the actual strain that they tested. The HFCRT source was listed as Amishland seeds. This is the only AYOO I know of and I'm thinking anyone else submitting it this year may have grown it from my seeds.
DSCF9376.JPG
Premus produces 2" red fruit slightly more round than oblate as pictured. This was one of mine that I brought back from Russia in 1991 and recently donated to the SSE seedbank for future safekeeping.
Premus18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Debbie

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:39 pm

Mitsu Express - no info at all

Is this one meant to be Mat-Su Express I wonder....

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 pm

I had to take a small time out and sort all of the MMMM tomato packets alphabetically, fitted a small box with alphabetized dividers and filed the packs so I could quickly find what I need. :o

@OhioGardener , the Amish Yellow-Orange Oxheart came from NanPA and most of the info needed accompanied the seeds. Where I got confused was looking up a few additional things and found several similar names out there in internet land. Mystery solved on that one. And thanks for the Premus pic. That's a pretty one!

I'm going to delete names needing info as I go along so Amish YOO and Premus have been deleted.

@Whwoz , I bet you're right! I've never heard of it before so didn't know to look it up under Matsu. The pack just had the name and year written on it with fine point marker. Should I just assume it's Matsu Express? Sometimes I get into trouble assuming things!

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 pm

It's Mat-Su Express, and many are now writing it as Matsu. Those zip baggies using the thinnest of ink markers are hard to read, even before they smudge.

There are a few misspellings of varieties this year. I had no time to correct them. When I run across them again, I'll compile a list to post.

Do not expect a lot of postings for DTMs, as many growers do not record that info.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:09 pm

I put all the vendor descriptions in a list for the varieties I sent in (all seeds were purchased from vendors). I will attach it again here.
MMMM_List_Descriptions-Toomanymatoes.pdf
MMMM-2021-Seeds_Sent-Toomanymatoes.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:43 pm

Zupa pepper? I can't find any information about it.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:23 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:43 pm Zupa pepper? I can't find any information about it.
Zupa - early sweet pepper 2021

That's the only info on the label.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 pm

Bacon Lettuce and This is an indeterminate PL red beefsteak. In my garden, it's as good as the few great reds, like Neves Azorean Red.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 am

My Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart was yellower than Ohiogardener's.

zendog
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 am

GoDawgs wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 pm Elbonian Mudslinger. :D
I believe this is a chance cross of Elgin Pink and something else. It is a Tormato discovery/creation that I think is F3 or F4 at this point - @Tormato please correct whatever I have wrong.

I grew it last year and was really happy with it. I put posted pics, etc. in the Winners and Losers thread from last year:
2021-winners-losers-t2743.html

If I have the generation correct then it may not be completely stable so it will be interesting if a bunch of us grow it and share and compare results.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm

Nan6b wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 am My Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart was yellower than Ohiogardener's.
Was this seed you got in last year's Mmm? If so, it came from me and was harvested from the tomatoes in my photos. They were grown from seed received directly from HFCRT. Mine were as they appeared in my photos but they developed the most intense color when allowed to reach dead ripe on the vine. I don't spray my tomatoes, so some of the later fruits that I was pulling at the breaker stage to avoid blemishes weren't quite as dark orange.
Debbie

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:51 pm

OhioGardener wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm
Nan6b wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 am My Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart was yellower than Ohiogardener's.
Was this seed you got in last year's Mmm? If so, it came from me and was harvested from the tomatoes in my photos. They were grown from seed received directly from HFCRT. Mine were as they appeared in my photos but they developed the most intense color when allowed to reach dead ripe on the vine. I don't spray my tomatoes, so some of the later fruits that I was pulling at the breaker stage to avoid blemishes weren't quite as dark orange.
Yes it was from the MMMM. Mine were very heart shaped.Don't know why the differences.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 pm

Nan6b wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:51 pm
Yes it was from the MMMM. Mine were very heart shaped.Don't know why the differences.
Do you have any photos? Mine were heart shaped as pictured above. Those were the ones I harvested at the breaker stage and ripened on my patio table. The ones I pictured sliced open in my glog were the ones that were vine ripened. I'm just curious because I got the variety along with Orange Crimea and a few others because I want them intensely orange and producing the high levels of tetra-cis-lycopene.
Debbie

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 pm

Was your foliage 'wispy'?
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 pm

~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:32 pm

MissS wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 pm
Carolyn talked about how varieties can sometimes throw off a different epidermis color. (one of her wonderful traits of using epidermis, not skin)
If this was so, a yellow skin might show a more orange color than a clear skin. Also, just the name itself, Yellowish Orange, may mean that fruit may be variable in color in different conditions. Perhaps several people can post pics (are colors and hues of photos accurate?) of their growouts this year.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:34 pm

I didn't photograph them this season unfortunately, but they seemed similar to what I had last year and the photos seem reasonably accurate. They were definitely orange and not yellow and I was looking more at interior color. The most intensely orange I've grown is Orange Crimea which makes sense because it's consistently one of the top tetra-cis varieties tested at HFCRT, but Amish is pretty high up there too and the concentration of pigment was noticeable in the cups when I was fermenting seeds. Maybe they do vary under some conditions? Mine were planted in the ground in full sun in naturally rich loam soil and I got a darker interior and exterior color by allowing them to fully ripen on the vine. I'll have to go back and look at my leaf photos, but I don't remember them being wispy, at least not to the degree of some of the Russian varieties that I grow.
Debbie

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:55 pm

Here are the online photos that I know of:

My SSE listing photos:
https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/li ... f=listings

Bristol:
https://www.bristol.co.nz/store/p1382/A ... art.html#/

HFCRT - Amish Yellowish Orange is the center photo one row up from the bottom.
https://www.heritagefoodcrops.org.nz/ta ... e/#gallery

The shape seems a little variable. Indeed, you can see that in my photos on the same growing year, but they all look fairly orange.
Debbie

Return to “MMMM Swap”