2022 watermelon to-grow lists

Shule
Reactions:

2022 watermelon to-grow lists

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Here's what on my 2022 watermelon to-grow list:

* King Winter
* Navajo Winter
* Queen and King Winter (and/or King and Queen Winter)
* Queen Winter
* Santo Domingo Brown Seeded
* Santo Domingo Dark Green
* Santo Domingo Winter
* Wintermelon

If you have a particular eye for watermelons, you might notice that those are all winter types (longkeeping watermelons). I've never grown only winter types before (I've always had at least some others growing at the same time). The reason for growing only winter types is because I'm starting a new breeding project, and I want to ensure that all crosses produce winter watermelons.

I'm not planning to grow any from saved seed, this year, since my saved seeds from winter types are all possibly crosses with non-winter types.

I've noticed that the availability of winter watermelons from seed vendors has gone way down, this year (which is somewhat alarming to me, and makes my project seem all the more important).

If you happen to have some winter watermelon seeds, you may want to keep and grow them (and save seeds), especially if they are of these varieties (because I don't have access to these, beyond my saved seeds that are probably crosses--and they're not for sale):
* Navajo Winter
* Navajo Red
* Black-seeded Ice Cream
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: 2022 watermelon to-grow lists

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 pm

How about contacting ars-grin?

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:46 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 pm How about contacting ars-grin?
Can you donate seeds to them? I might want to do that with the winter watermelon project when it reaches appropriate milestones.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:33 am

I don't know current policy, nor how things are running, there.

I put in a request for seeds two years ago, about a month before Covid hit. No package arrived. I haven't attempted to contact them about it, yet. I'll wait a bit longer.

ddsack
Reactions:

Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 am

What temperature would be ideal for longer term storage of such watermelons, and for how long could you expect them to retain acceptable flavor and texture? Refrigerated or room temperature? I didn't realize long keeping melons existed.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:40 pm

ddsack wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 am What temperature would be ideal for longer term storage of such watermelons, and for how long could you expect them to retain acceptable flavor and texture? Refrigerated or room temperature? I didn't realize long keeping melons existed.
Winter watermelons usually keep for 3 to 4 months at room temperature, just hanging around the house (in my climate). Red-seeded Citron watermelons can keep for over a year (but they're not much like other watermelons, and they're not sweet--while the 3 to 4 month winter watermelons are sweet and suitable for fresh-eating, just like regular watermelons).

If there's no ventilation, winter watermelons might not keep as long (ventilation is more important than temperature, light, and all that, IMO; I mean, they keep better in my living room than in our storage room). Some fruits keep longer than others.

I've never tried keeping them in the refrigerator the whole time.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 pm

@ddsack
Flavorwise, they keep a good flavor for most of that time (but not all of it), unless they weren't pollinated properly, ripened properly or something. The less perfect fruits are the ones you want to eat sooner.

ddsack
Reactions:

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:26 pm

@Shule Thanks for the info! I will have to look into getting some seeds from one of those varieties!

Tracy63
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 am

Hi, I just joined the forum. I mainly grow tomatoes and hot peppers and things, but I'm getting a second garden for vines this year

I've never really grown watermelons before, other than randomly sticking a plant in once.

This year, I am trying Sangria, and Triple Crown

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:14 am

@Tracy63 Welcome to the forum.

Pleepleus
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:24 am

The biggest surprise watermelon for me was Baker Creeks Janosik, a yellow variety.

Planted on black plastic, but hand watered. They yielded fast and tractor buckets full of incredible sweet tropical tasting melons. For not being tied into the main irrigation and being partially neglected, they out performed all others by twice in yield.

The best part was I sold every one. They held out on the stand for a LONG time. Highly recommended!
~ Keeping your seeds in the refrigerator, keeps seeds viable for a decade or more! ~

Organic Farmer, Dog Lover and Seed Junky :lol:

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:52 pm

I managed to get access to a community garden plot this year. Hopefully my garden plan works out (only going by the dimensions given and need to go measure the actual plot). If it does, I selected one watermelon to try called Small Shining Light. Last season I tried to grow Golden Midget in a container, but the plants died after transplant.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:41 pm

I'm going to grow one hill of Charleston Gray as I've had success with that one for several years now. I'm also going to do one hill of Stone Mountain, something new to me but since the real Stone Mountain is only about two hours away in Atlanta, it seemed appropriate. LOL! Two hills of watermelon is all there's room for.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:21 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:52 pm I managed to get access to a community garden plot this year. Hopefully my garden plan works out (only going by the dimensions given and need to go measure the actual plot). If it does, I selected one watermelon to try called Small Shining Light. Last season I tried to grow Golden Midget in a container, but the plants died after transplant.
Transplanting watermelons can be done, but it is by no means easy. I generally use a 9" to 12" pot. Basically, I dig a trench, place the pot on its side, slip the pot off, and tilt the plant up, then fill in around it, all trying not to disturb the roots at all. Direct seeding is easier.

I've found Golden Midget sort of a novelty, as the taste isn't much to write home about.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:21 pm
Toomanymatoes wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:52 pm I managed to get access to a community garden plot this year. Hopefully my garden plan works out (only going by the dimensions given and need to go measure the actual plot). If it does, I selected one watermelon to try called Small Shining Light. Last season I tried to grow Golden Midget in a container, but the plants died after transplant.
Transplanting watermelons can be done, but it is by no means easy. I generally use a 9" to 12" pot. Basically, I dig a trench, place the pot on its side, slip the pot off, and tilt the plant up, then fill in around it, all trying not to disturb the roots at all. Direct seeding is easier.

I've found Golden Midget sort of a novelty, as the taste isn't much to write home about.
Thanks for the advice. I will have to be extra careful this year. I have been primarily focused on small fruit sized varieties since I was trying to grow these in 20 gallon containers.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:25 am

Welcome to the Junction @Tracy63!
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:53 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will have to be extra careful this year. I have been primarily focused on small fruit sized varieties since I was trying to grow these in 20 gallon containers.
It seems that short vine length is what you're aiming for, rather than fruit size? Or very small fruit size, too? Likely, you're looking for early maturity.

Some other varieties with short vines are Mini Love F1, Cal Sweet, Little Darling, Kaho, Sugar Baby, and Petite Sweet.

If interested, I have enough Petite Sweet seeds to share. ;)

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:02 am

Shule,

For possibly acquiring long storage types, the Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative link at https://cucurbitbreeding.wordpress.ncsu.edu may be something to look into.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:21 pm

Tormato wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:53 am
Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 pm

It seems that short vine length is what you're aiming for, rather than fruit size? Or very small fruit size, too? Likely, you're looking for early maturity.

Some other varieties with short vines are Mini Love F1, Cal Sweet, Little Darling, Kaho, Sugar Baby, and Petite Sweet.

If interested, I have enough Petite Sweet seeds to share. ;)
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, it would be a combination of early season and smaller fruits. Next year I might try direct sow with an early variety.

My first attempt last season was in a 20G pot, but I wanted to grow the fruit vertically. Hence, the desire to have a smaller fruit size that I could hang from my cage around the pot. Worked reasonably well for the melons I grew. I think if I let them sprawl out, they would get eaten by a member of the wild zoo in my backyard.

I have seeds for Beni Kodama, Golden Midget, Petite Yellow Fleshed, Small Shining Light, Sugar Baby and White Wonder. Whenever I see seeds for a variety that has fruits 5lbs or less I will typically purchase them.

Maybe for the next MMMM I will request some watermelon seeds :). I have so many melons to try though too!

Return to “Watermelon”