A chocolate bribe?

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

A chocolate bribe?

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:12 pm

One of the threads got me thinking about motivation. Many things have contributed to the extended time it has taken to send packages out.

One of them has been things arriving, here, a wee bit tardy. On another thread a participant said his wife gets a good chuckle of him waiting for the mail. I said, would she chuckle if it contained chocolate?

So, I went to WalMart to look for chocolate. It had an expiration day of 11/30/22. I didn't buy it because his/her? package for next year would be sent back after that.

But, what if I buy the next batch that WalMart gets in, maybe with an expiration date of 12/31/22. Can I motivate participants to send things in earlier, to get things back earlier? Since I would NEVER send back expired chocolate, I would be forced to eat all of that by myself.

Any thoughts?

rxkeith
Reactions:

Re: A chocolate bribe?

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:23 pm

BURRRRRRRRRP

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 pm

rxkeith wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:23 pmBURRRRRRRRRP
Is that a departure, or no departure, BURRRRRRRRRP?

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 pm

@Tormato I think that you are going to have to put your foot down and close you mailbox on whatever date it is that you choose. You will have to be strict and say that anything arriving after that date will be entered in the next years MMMM. Period!!!
~ Patti ~

Danny
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 pm
rxkeith wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:23 pmBURRRRRRRRRP
Is that a departure, or no departure, BURRRRRRRRRP?
Maybe be happy it was an upper level departure?

I was going to join a procrastinator's group last year, but they haven't scheduled the first meeting yet.

root_grow
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:08 pm

I might be guilty... moving really gets in the way sometimes... maybe I should send a chocolate apology though rather than the other way around?

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:24 pm

MissS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 pm @Tormato I think that you are going to have to put your foot down and close you mailbox on whatever date it is that you choose. You will have to be strict and say that anything arriving after that date will be entered in the next years MMMM. Period!!!
After more than a decade of having no rules, do you really think that I can find a foot to put down?

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:29 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:24 pm
MissS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 pm @Tormato I think that you are going to have to put your foot down and close you mailbox on whatever date it is that you choose. You will have to be strict and say that anything arriving after that date will be entered in the next years MMMM. Period!!!
After more than a decade of having no rules, do you really think that I can find a foot to put down?
Well your not exactly Big Foot are you?
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:44 pm

MissS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:29 pm
Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:24 pm
Well your not exactly Big Foot are you?
Not after being Captain Hook.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:51 pm

Promise to put chocolate in my package and I'll get my seeds in by whenever you want. :lol:

Julianna
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:28 pm

Late people should have to either wait or send you a bribe. The latter may be more fun. I mean, like a weird, Russian nesting doll, i had a smaller human cut out of me and i still made it on time... 😂
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:13 am

That would be my wife, the chocolate fiend lol.

I'll always be sure to have the package sent to you, whenever you need them. No worries there, the package bursting with seeds is the biggest bribe I've ever received.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

ranegrow
Reactions:

Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Delayed response here ... lol please forgive ;-) Tormato, I thought about putting a chocolate candy bar in the pkg as a thank you to you but I worried it might melt all over the seed pkgs... lol :lol: and not as a bribe :D
but for future reference... what's your favorite candy ?

As a side note... I am STILL going thru and enjoying looking at all my lovely seeds from the swap. I am kind of winging it this year, besides the seeds that I will growing and saving for the next MMM swap I am just looking thru them all , researching the ones I am not familiar with online ( my favorite winter past time ) and trying to decide what to grow this year. I have started a few already on my heat mats indoors. They will be sprouting any day now. Planting time is not until Mother's Day weekend. Our youngest granddaughter who is almost 8 asked us last week if we would teach her how to grow tomatoes.... I told her she has come to the right place, she and her older sister ( 10 yrs old ) want to help us plant. I am also trying to figure out how to convince my SO I do not need to downsize.... every year he tries and every year I win out :P

Iris

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:51 pm

ranegrow wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:32 pm Delayed response here ... lol please forgive ;-) Tormato, I thought about putting a chocolate candy bar in the pkg as a thank you to you but I worried it might melt all over the seed pkgs... lol :lol: and not as a bribe :D

As a side note... I am STILL going thru and enjoying looking at all my lovely seeds from the swap. I am kind of winging it this year, besides the seeds that I will growing and saving for the next MMM swap I am just looking thru them all , researching the ones I am not familiar with online ( my favorite winter past time ) and trying to decide what to grow this year. I have started a few already on my heat mats indoors. They will be sprouting any day now. Planting time is not until Mother's Day weekend. Our youngest granddaughter who is almost 8 asked us last week if we would teach her how to grow tomatoes.... I told her she has come to the right place, she and her older sister ( 10 yrs old ) want to help us plant. I am also trying to figure out how to convince my SO I do not need to downsize.... every year he tries and every year I win out :P

Iris
It sounds like you haven't started everything yet. Instead of winging it all, how about I send a couple of unnamed (not yet stable) selections that I have. Your granddaughters can each name one of them. If interested, please PM me your mailing address, while I attempt to find it in the "pile".

I almost forgot, black jelly beans...but, I'm all set for the year. ;)

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:06 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:51 pm
ranegrow wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:32 pm Delayed response here ... lol please forgive ;-) Tormato, I thought about putting a chocolate candy bar in the pkg as a thank you to you but I worried it might melt all over the seed pkgs... lol :lol: and not as a bribe :D

Iris
It sounds like you haven't started everything yet. Instead of winging it all, how about I send a couple of unnamed (not yet stable) selections that I have. Your granddaughters can each name one of them. If interested, please PM me your mailing address, while I attempt to find it in the "pile".

I almost forgot, black jelly beans...but, I'm all set for the year. ;)
Seeds went out today, as I just barely beat the mailman to the mailbox.

ranegrow
Reactions:

Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:55 pm

Received the seeds today ! Thank you so much !

They will be so excited. They love having their own seeds to grow , its so cute when they always exclaim " I needed some seeds ! " as they rip into their little gift bag I always fill with seeds and other gardening stuff and put in their Easter baskets. :) The last few years I have been filling a flat with extra plants I start for them and their mom to grow. Hopefully I will have some pics to share of their gardening success this summer.

Thank you again !
Iris

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:48 pm

ranegrow wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:55 pm Received the seeds today ! Thank you so much !

They will be so excited. They love having their own seeds to grow , its so cute when they always exclaim " I needed some seeds ! " as they rip into their little gift bag I always fill with seeds and other gardening stuff and put in their Easter baskets. :) The last few years I have been filling a flat with extra plants I start for them and their mom to grow. Hopefully I will have some pics to share of their gardening success this summer.

Thank you again !
Iris
Easter baskets? Perhaps for next year I can send you some seeds that produce pink and purple veggies, and flowers too.

ranegrow
Reactions:

Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:21 am

How did you guess their favorite colors are pink and purple ? :P

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:20 pm

OK, so we now have a chocolate sub-category of the swap. And, I'm not talking tomatoes. I go out and get 3 more bars, and four more then come in the mail. I'll catch up to youz, the next time I go shopping. ;)

Docmom
Reactions:

Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:55 am

I'm at a bored place, waiting for tomatoes to ripen and seeds to ferment, so was reading through old posts for entertainment. Folks are seemingly intent on the chocolate bribe idea (in whatever direction and to whomever seems appropriate). But, I read a post from Tormato that implies his favorite candy is black jelly beans. He indicated that he was good for the year, but I'm looking toward the future. As a black licorice fan myself, I have also explored/enjoyed the Scandinavian delicacy called salmiaki (in Finnish). I was introduced to it as an exchange student to Finland more years ago than I am willing to admit. So, I wondered if we could tempt Tormato with something a bit more exotic than chocolate. We can also include chocolate, of course.

Tomato,
Have you sampled the salty, very strong, anise/licorice flavored "candies" that are popular in Scandinavia? A good friend of mine actually steeped some of these delicacies in vodka for me. It was a going-away gift, and was absolutely delicious. These candies are very powerful in their level of flavor and especially salt. So, it may or not be something you would enjoy. But, if you have any interest, I will search online for a source that I could send you to try.

I will do some initial scoping now, to see what is available.

Martha

Return to “MMMM Swap”