The Aroma Of Garlic!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

The Aroma Of Garlic!

Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:42 pm

One of the last two bundles of garlic were thin sliced today and made four trays that are in the dehydrator right now. I sure love that mini garlic mandolin as it saves so much time! I whiz up the dehydrated garlic into garlic powder and it's so much better than that stuff loaded up with fillers at the store! It has to be kept in the freezer though or it will cake up. That's OK with me. Small price to pay for quality. I can always buy fresh garlic for cooking but I can't buy great garlic powder! Now there's just one more 8-bulb garlic bundle left from what was harvested at the end of May. The bulbs are thinking about sprouting so I might have to just go ahead and dehydrate the rest before it does.

The pot of oregano needed a haircut today so there's one tray of that in the dehydrator too. The house smells like an Italian restaurant. I can live with that!

peebee
Reactions:

Re: The Aroma Of Garlic!

Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:52 pm

When I was a kid, people would put rice grains in the salt shaker to keep the salt dry. Would that help with the garlic powder? Pure homemade powder sure sounds great.
If you love the aroma of fresh garlic, roll down your windows as you drive thru the garlic capital of CA, Gilroy. So pungent. I like a whiff, but not several minutes of unrelenting garlic smell. I often wondered how one can live there, but I guess you can get used to it :)
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:12 am

I'm s proponent of the rice in the salt shaker. I got some weird looks from the wife the first time i did it, shortly after we moved in together. Now, she lives by it too. I can't help but think it would work for garlic powder as well
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:43 am

I do the rice in the salt shaker too. @peebee , thanks for that great idea about trying it with the garlic powder! I just put some sushi rice grains in the garlic powder shaker as they're fat enough so they won't shake through the holes in the lid. Will report back in several days.

Hmmm, that's good for sprinkling powder on stuff (I do that a lot) but I just realized I might still have to keep some powder without rice in it in the freezer for powder I need to measure out.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:49 am

I couldn't get tired of the smell of garlic.
Better than a sheep farm.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:25 pm

Gilroy really smells like that in July. I havent noticed it otherwise.i bet yhatit is when they lift them all.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

bower
Reactions:

Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:24 pm

Digging Spanish Roja on a hot day.... mmmmmmm :D
Like cleaning and chopping a fresh matsutake... almost better than eating it.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:28 pm

I did put rice in the spice jar shaker, using the fatter sushi rice as the shaker holes were a bit larger than those on a normal salt shaker. So far, four days later, it's working! No clumping.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

zeedman
Reactions:

Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:00 am

All of last year's garlic (about 100 bulbs) is chipped, dehydrated, and stored in freezer bags. Even through the bags, it smells wonderful whenever I walk past that cabinet.

I grind the garlic chips lightly in a blender when we need garlic powder, then sift it to separate the powder from the chunks. The reason I don't grind it all down to powder is that those chunks go into a hand-held pepper mill. As long as the chunks are not too large, the pepper mill grinds them easily. DW will use the powder for cooking; but for seasoning to taste, the garlic ground fresh by hand is even better (and no rice required).
"But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.“ - Thomas Jefferson

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:07 am

zeedman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:00 am All of last year's garlic (about 100 bulbs) is chipped, dehydrated, and stored in freezer bags. Even through the bags, it smells wonderful whenever I walk past that cabinet.

I grind the garlic chips lightly in a blender when we need garlic powder, then sift it to separate the powder from the chunks. The reason I don't grind it all down to powder is that those chunks go into a hand-held pepper mill. As long as the chunks are not too large, the pepper mill grinds them easily. DW will use the powder for cooking; but for seasoning to taste, the garlic ground fresh by hand is even better (and no rice required).
That's a GREAT idea! I need to find an inexpensive pepper mill for that dedicated use. Thanks!

Return to “Preserving Methods, share recipes and techniques!”