2022/2023 germinations and off-types

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Re: 2022/2023 germinations and off-types

Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:43 am

I grew Prue from the MMMM 2021 swap this year. I believe it is supposed to be a red paste/oxheart type of tomato. The fruits are oxheart in shape but have green/orange(?) stripes. I don't think it was a seed mix up as I don't have anything growing that resembles that. Tastes good though. Once I get a better fruit I will try and post a picture.

karrr
Reactions:

Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:11 pm

IMG_7304.jpeg
Kozula37
I sent in some seeds of Kozula 37 but I think they are off type because mine are red skinned and more of a heart shape then the images I found online, which look like flattened beefsteaks. Mine have red skin and pink interior and they ripen with some striping which turn to completely red sometimes. I really loved how strong, vigorous and productive and yum my plant was last year and I saved a few cuttings before pulling the plant. 2 survived, so I have the identical plant and saving some seeds from every tomato I cut open. Let me know if anyone tried to grow them (if Garry sent them out of course) and what happened. Also maybe I don’t know what I am talking about in terms of hearts and beefsteaks differences.
IMG_7303.jpeg
IMG_7278.jpeg
IMG_7277.jpeg
IMG_7276.jpeg
IMG_7238.jpeg
IMG_7233.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:44 pm

I did three separate sowings (12, 12 & 38 seeds) of 'Petite Pois Procoville' shell peas and none germinated. A different pea variety that I grew next to it and others in other beds germinated just fine. This packet had a label made from a fluorescent green index card and marked '21.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:21 pm

WoodSprite wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:44 pm I did three separate sowings (12, 12 & 38 seeds) of 'Petite Pois Procoville' shell peas and none germinated. A different pea variety that I grew next to it and others in other beds germinated just fine. This packet had a label made from a fluorescent green index card and marked '21.
My repacking of a large pack of commercial seeds. They were labeled 2022, most likely harvested in 2021. I've had quite a few commercial pea seeds with either no germination, or extremely poor germination, in the past several years.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:15 pm

i am finding a few white carrots in the garden amongst the carrot carpet patch.
carrot:carrot hybrid or carrot queen annes lace hybrid.
the first one i pulled i left on the ground as i was working in the garden.
curiosity got the better of me, and i thought maybe i should try it, see how it tastes.
flavor was actually pretty good. it was sweet, and had a very defined inner, and outer core.
a couple others had a nantes type solid core. flavor was good.
so, if anyone growing my seeds finds some white carrots, they are ok to eat. at least mine were.

keith

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:51 pm

Lazy Wife pole bean seeds that got in the swap are either crossed seeds or mislabeled. They should produce longer flat stringless green pods. I got short (~4") round green pods w/ strings. Seeds were marked as from '20. Should I say who supplied them? Not to point fingers but so we all know?

Here's a photo though the white balance is off so photo looks more pink than in real life.
P1090820-mislabeled Lazy Wife pole bean-resize.jpg

Other pole beans:
Seychelles ('21) did not germinate x6 seeds.

Blue Coco ('22), Blue Purple Pod (unknown year), Super Marconi ('22) and Uncle Steve Italian ('22) all germinated fine and appear to be true to type.

I enjoyed comparing them all. Thanks to those that shared them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

karrr
Reactions:

Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:28 am

Blue of the night question
The plant labeled blue of the night is producing yellow orange piriform tomatoes. Is this correct? I didn’t plant anything yellow piriform so it must be the seeds. Does anyone have a clue? I couldn’t find any info online. From the 22 swap
IMG_7495.jpeg
IMG_7494.jpeg

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:44 am

WoodSprite wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:51 pm Lazy Wife pole bean seeds that got in the swap are either crossed seeds or mislabeled. They should produce longer flat stringless green pods. I got short (~4") round green pods w/ strings. Seeds were marked as from '20. Should I say who supplied them? Not to point fingers but so we all know?

Here's a photo though the white balance is off so photo looks more pink than in real life.

P1090820-mislabeled Lazy Wife pole bean-resize.jpg

Other pole beans:
Seychelles ('21) did not germinate x6 seeds.

Blue Coco ('22), Blue Purple Pod (unknown year), Super Marconi ('22) and Uncle Steve Italian ('22) all germinated fine and appear to be true to type.

I enjoyed comparing them all. Thanks to those that shared them.
PM me Lazy Wife label info.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Stocky Red Roaster pepper seeds labeled from '21 but received in the 22/23 MMMM is an off-type.

They are hot. Yes, I'm a light-weight when it comes to hot things so they may not be very hot to others, however, they are very hot to me. This variety isn't supposed to have any heat according to multiple websites that sell it. My fingers are still burning from chopping three for salsa. Other than the heat, they have excellent flavor and are producing gorgeous peppers so they are worth growing for those that like some heat.

When I have time to dig out the seed packets for the things I've reported, I'll take photos and PM you Tormato
~ Darlene ~

JayneR13
Reactions:

Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:57 am

I received some squash seed labeled Latino and Long White Palermo from the MMMM swap. I grew both and saved seed, and both plants were prolific and tasty. My saved seed had a 0% germination in two tries from both, and I think the garden gods were helping me out here. Since I wanted to grow both again, I hit the research trail and discovered two things.

1) Latino is a hybrid. It's good stuff but not the stuff of seed saving. https://territorialseed.com/products/sq ... mer-latino

2) The stuff labeled Long White Palermo looked a lot more like Mexican gray squash. The seed on Baker Creek labeled as LWP looks a lot different than what I grew.

This is what I grew, both Latino and "long white Palermo."
first latino zucchini.jpg
IMG_1449.jpeg
Correctly labeled seed. The Costata Romanesco is an heirloom.
latino heirloom squash.jpg
squashes correctly labeled.jpg
Everyone makes mistakes, including me. These were vigorous plants whose fruits reside in my pantry and were yummy in my tummy. But jeez! It's nice when stuff is correctly labeled, and F1 hybrids don't usually produce the same plant. FYI

MissTee
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:09 pm

Reporting some Off-types from the ‘21 and ‘22 MMMM:

Napa Chardonnay 2021 - Antho cherry. (Looks similar to Blue Boar Berries or Dancing with Smurfs). Prolific large bush.

Matt’s Wild Cherry 2020 - brownish-red with a dark shoulder. Currant-sized, but with an oblate shape.

Green Gables 2021 - had both PL/RL seedlings. PL was a true GWR. RL turned out to be a pink, round, medium-sized slicer.

Tasmanian Chocolate 2021 - Dark beefsteak (more purple than brown), but not a dwarf rugose plant. RL, indeterminate grew to about 5.5 ft.

Unsure if these were true. Didn’t seem right for fruit size:

Bycij Lob - pretty early and long lasting production of small red salad-sized globes. Short RL bush/det. Does not match description found:
Bytchiy Lob or Bichiy Lob ~Bull's Forehead (Rus.>Eng.) indeterminate midseason, indet. (1-1.5 m tall) plant with a high yield of red, beefsteak 300-700 g fruits, very good flavour, rather cold tolerant ... (Andrey’s 2007 Trade List, TV).

Dwarf Velvet Night 2019 - brownish-red fruit on dwarf plant, grown in a container. Larger than the listed cherry/cocktail — grew golf to tennis ball size. Reasonably productive, but later season.

If anyone is interested, I can send seeds to the MMMM Experimental category.
T
Too many tomatoes, not enough time.

Return to “MMMM Swap”