Parthenocarpic cucumber

AKgardener
Reactions:

Parthenocarpic cucumber

Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:36 pm

Has anyone grown these types of cucumbers I’m gonna be trying the little leaf and socrates.. would love any feed back if you have any .they are growing in a greenhouse why I chose these varieties

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Parthenocarpic cucumber

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 pm

I have grown sweet success and diva, parthenocarpic varieties. They did well in the greenhouse. I had mine in 5 gallon buckets.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:49 pm

I've grown Monika. I really liked it. It probably wasn't in the best soil for cucumbers, but it did better than most, and it had a lot of female flowers early on. I grew Little Leaf, too, the same year, and wasn't a big fan by comparison. I grew them outdoors, in the ground, though, so that's a totally different set of growing conditions than a greenhouse! :)

The links point to where I bought the seeds.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:14 pm

I hope to have a report on an outdoor growing of about 80 varieties this year. Right now, the soil is lousy, a fairly heavy sandy loam with little organic matter. But, I'll attempt to amend it prior to planting time. By looking at the shapes of some of the previous harvests, the present soil doesn't retain moisture very well, and I did not keep the moisture level constant enough.

Socrates F1 will be new. Little Leaf will not return. In that lousy soil, LL was the worst cucumber variety that I've ever trialed, no cukes two years ago. It's the only variety that produce nothing, in all of my trials.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:19 am

Japanese Climbing Cucumber certainly has the ability to be parthenocarpic, even though it is capable of producing male flowers. Had a nice big one that I missed earlier this season get past the good to eat stage, so I left it for seed, only to cut it open and find none. Grown in the ground, cannot say what it would be like in. Greenhouse, but it doesn't mind the 20 to 25C weather we are having at the moment, 10 fruit on one of the plants, 17 across three.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:28 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:14 pm I hope to have a report on an outdoor growing of about 80 varieties this year. . . .
If they happen to flourish, you're going to have so many cucumbers! :) Even if you only get one per plant, that's still at least 80 cucumbers!

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:36 am

Socrates did really well in our greenhouse last year. Pumped out fruit all summer long.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:47 am

I grew Little Leaf one year, because it is supposed to be resistant to bacterial wilt, like County Fair. But I never grew it again, because it really didn't produce much for me - it really didn't matter that it was resistant.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:02 am

Oh my so much information thank you everyone for putting there 2 cents in in the 4 years I’ve been gardening I have never had cucumbers and I try every year. So this year I have a mini greenhouse one for tomatoes one for cucumbers. Best of luck to everyone looking forward to reporting what happens

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:59 am

Shule wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:28 am
Tormato wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:14 pm I hope to have a report on an outdoor growing of about 80 varieties this year. . . .
If they happen to flourish, you're going to have so many cucumbers! :) Even if you only get one per plant, that's still at least 80 cucumbers!
If they happen to flourish, my 80+ year old neighbor, along with her sister, children, and grandchildren, are going to have so many cucumbers.

I do her yard work, and snow removal, so I asked if she'd like the old garden to come back. She said yes, and make it cucumbers. She likely eats two small ones every day. She's "old school" and peels them all, so I have no worries about any bitter skins.

For me, if there is a good harvest, it'll be a lot of experimenting with Japanese/Asian cucumber salad seasonings this year.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 pm

I wish everyone the best of luck this year my daughter is starting her first garden as well and she jumping at the bit for me to to help her start her seeds and buy other from the greenhouse. I have Decided to put my garden into 4 sections this year main bed potatoes carrots cabbage and cauliflower.
The rest in pots green beans spinach and random tomatoes and squash.I have a mini wooden greenhouse for cucumbers and a 10x10 pop up greenhouse for tomatoes I wish the snow would melt already

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Along with my usual National Pickling cuke I'm trying the Little Leaf this year for the first time and now I see these comments about how it doesn't produce much. It will be trellised. I guess I'll see how it does down here in the South. Maybe y'all just aren't holding your mouth right up there! :lol:

I'm also giving Bushy Cucumber from Pinetree a go in the fall since the DTM is listed at 45-50 days with vines just 5' long. Not parthenocarpic, just small and a short growing time. A fall toy. :)
https://www.superseeds.com/products/bus ... 45-50-days

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:07 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:46 pm Along with my usual National Pickling cuke I'm trying the Little Leaf this year for the first time and now I see these comments about how it doesn't produce much. It will be trellised. I guess I'll see how it does down here in the South. Maybe y'all just aren't holding your mouth right up there! :lol:

I'm also giving Bushy Cucumber from Pinetree a go in the fall since the DTM is listed at 45-50 days with vines just 5' long. Not parthenocarpic, just small and a short growing time. A fall toy. :)
https://www.superseeds.com/products/bus ... 45-50-days
My Little Leaf was such a weakling it wouldn't climb the trellis, even with assistance. May yours do better. And don't crowd it, as I think it needs more sun than other varieties, because of those little leaves.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:26 pm

8C30FAD5-ED9B-462B-B90F-3DEF4F58B197.jpeg
Maybe they will end up being the little engine that could oh man well I do have others to try my husband came downstairs I showed him the video of the Socrates he says it’s a pipe dream and me with my side eyes just looked at him and said you will see I will get it this year haha this should do just fine for cucumbers huh 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:10 pm

I pretty much gave up on cucumbers and cantaloupe due to striped cucumber beetles and the plague they bring. I can get some cantaloupe but I have to pretty much hide them in rows of other crops so the striped buggers won't find them.

Does parthenocarpic mean they won't show up if I plant outside? They won't like it? Or does it just mean I can put it in a greenhouse to grow because it doesn't need pollinators?

Does parthenocarpic gene help me get cucumbers grown up a trellis outside without using poisons?

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:24 pm

Parthenocarpic means all-female flowers, with no need for a pollinator for production. With no pollinator, they will be seedless. They are often grown in a greenhouse, where there are very little to no pollinators.

If grown outside, and pollinated by another variety, they will have seeds.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:57 pm

I’m just super excited for this year very optimistic

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:44 pm

Right, but, do the striped cucumber beetles still kill the plant with their disease if it is grown outside?
With cucumbers here I usually get a few, sometimes none, before the plant dies back due to those little yellow/black devils. I gave up a few years back.

I don't know if they are attracted to the male flowers or the female, or both. I've never looked that closely, but just assumed both.

I know I could use a tunnel and grow parthnocarpic cucumbers that way, by keeping all bugs out. But I really would like to let cucumbers run up a fenceline without being covered.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:00 pm

@JRinPA
I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but you might consider trying a different species, like Armenian cucumbers (C. melo; I recommend Metki Dark Green Serpent) or Liso Calcutta gherkins (C. anguria).

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:26 am

I too think these plants are weak. I grew Parthenon a few years ago. Purchased the seeds with the intention of growing under row cover to aviod disease. I was lazy to do this and grew it out in the open with other cucumbers. Plants looked weak from the get go and production was very low. I think it dies of other causes before disease from the cucumber beetle hit the "normal" cucumber plants.

- Lisa

Return to “Cucumbers”