Hanging Tomato Cage Tags

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Hanging Tomato Cage Tags

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 am

This is just another hack for garden labels. I disassemble old mini blinds and cut up the slats into 7.5” lengths for use as garden labels. One blind makes a pile of them! Usually they get stuck in the ground next to plants. I use a china marker (also called a wax pencil or grease pencil) to write the variety names on the plastic tags. It doesn’t rub off or fade.

Each end of the slat has a hole in it for the cords to run through so some labels have that hole and some don’t. I got the idea of cutting one of those pieces with the hole shorter and running a string through the hole so I could tie the tags to tomato cages. Then my sister suggested using one of the big paper clips I have instead of string to hang them on the cages.

It worked really well! Here's the tag hanging on one of the cages:

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Hanging Tomato Cage Tags

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:57 am

Thank you for sharing. It looks like another great idea.
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:34 am

Wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 5:57 pm

Great idea! I'm still trying to find some discarded miniblinds to make plant tags. Your tags are much more elegant than mine: I use a piece of blue or green painters' tape on the top bar of the tomato cage, with the name in sharpie (it lasts all season, or at least until I've learned where everything is). The distinctive color makes it easy to find in the jungle. The tape is a folded loop, stuck to itself, and is easy to tear off the next season.

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 6:33 pm

Cool! I do the same thing. Instead of a china marker I get the orange Sharpie(tm) paint pens because my blinds were dark blue. I've found this color, as opposed to other colors I've tired, holds up through the season (does fade a little) and then just wipes off with a little rubbing alcohol. I also use them to label my black plant pots.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Return to “Garden Tools and Equipment.”