Perfume Delight Rose

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Perfume Delight Rose

Sun May 01, 2022 6:03 am

I think Perfume Delight is my absolute favorite rose. Unlike modern roses that have little scent, this one just fills the nose with wonderful scent. A real perfumy delight!

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Perfume Delight Rose

Sun May 01, 2022 6:11 am

My mom wanted “Granada” for her small rose garden as she likes the looks and it too is very fragrant. Some older yet fragrant roses evidently become less popular with time and she had the hardest time finding any “Granada” roses. I wonder if she knows about “Perfume Delight”. Seems like part of the appeal of a rose is the scent so why breed that out of roses?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

bower
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 6:26 am

Beautiful rose, GoDawgs.
I too grow roses mostly for the scent, and made a point of getting varieties that are most strongly scented. But the lovely 'tea rose' types don't do well in my climate, so I don't know them.
I think the breeders sometimes lose the scent in their quest for color and perfect form. Notably in the old roses which we grow here, it is difficult to find a true scarlet red rose that is strongly scented. IDKY why that is, but it seems like there might be some genetic linkage to the milder scent. So I speculate that some of the tea rose breeding for rare colors like yellow and apricot may have also shifted the focus away from that feature.
Then again, there is a pretty large range of different scents in roses that diverge from the classic rose aroma. So there's a lot of opportunity for novelty in the scent as well.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

ddsack
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 8:45 am

When I was a kid, the house we lived in had a small neglected rose bush planted before our time there. The roses had the most wonderful strong scent, like raspberries, it made your mouth water. I'm not positive of the color, but it wasn't red, I think it was more on the side of flame orange. This would have been in the 1950's, so not as many variety possibilities then. Too bad my mom didn't think to dig it up and take it along when we moved.

Return to “Perennials”