Hello from North Idaho

Tell us about yourself!
LindaJean
Reactions:

Hello from North Idaho

Thu May 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone, I am well ripened approaching 70, with an adopted young American Bully that is training me to see the world through the eyes of a dog child - everything is wondrous and fascinates her.
Growing tomatoes is new to me this year, I wish I had not waited so long. My Bully dog has rescued me from growing old and we are exploring the vast unknown. Now I look at the humble store bought tomato on my kitchen counter and imagine greatness. My seeds are almost ready to step up and I am wildly excited to have entered tomato realm. Life is rich traveling with good company , I know this will be one of my favorite places visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LindaJean on Fri May 06, 2022 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bower
Reactions:

Re: Hello from North Idaho

Thu May 05, 2022 2:35 pm

Welcome to TJ LindaJean. :) Never too old to learn to grow a tomato. or anything new, for that matter. I like your attitude! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Welcome to the Junction! Your entry into the world of tomatoes could be a wild ride. It's never too late! Caution: it's addictive! :D

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 3:36 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 pm

Welcome to the junction from Down Under @LindaJean. Just watch out for the MMMM, or your new hobby will quickly become an addiction

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Welcome to the jungle!! :)

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm

Welcome to the Junction

MissS
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 11:53 pm

Welcome to the Junction @LindaJean. You will find plenty of knowledge and seeds floating around here to supply you with more tomatoes than you have ever dreamed of.
~ Patti ~

LindaJean
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 12:02 am

Thanks for the overwhelming friendly TJ welcome and warnings though I have already succumbed to serious seed buying addiction. The way growers write passionately about their prized tomatoes and first BLT of summer- who could resist ? That reminds me , have to search the stash for my basil seeds...

Shule
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 am

@LindaJean
Welcome to TomatoJunction, LindaJean! I'm from southwestern Idaho. It's always great to see more Idaho gardeners; when I first got into gardening, they were pretty scarce online (but I've been seeing a few here and there, lately!)

I know the owners of Sand Hill Preservation Center used to be in northern Idaho--are you familiar with them? They sell seeds, roots/tubers, and poultry, and are one of my favorite seed vendors (for selection and seed count; they've sent me free seeds with orders, too; you have to pay by check, though). I think they bred some plants specifically for the northern Idaho climate before they moved.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Gardadore
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 am

Welcome from northeast PA. I think it is very exciting that you are taking up tomato growing as a new hobby! Welcome to your new addiction and let us know how this first season went!

LindaJean
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 12:55 am

Navigating this site is still a challenge for me, hope I am doing this right.
Sand Hill Preservation Center does not sound familiar Shule, will have to look it up.
I did order seeds from Snake River Seed Cooperative ; I didn't get the Holy Myrrhbearer tomato seeds yet, it looks interesting. My dog will let out a rebel yell if I buy one more seed package this year !

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 2:50 am

Welcome @LindaJean. Are you planning on in the ground or containers?

Basil is on my grow list along with zucchini, Bell peppers and lots of tomatoes.

I navigate the site by clicking on New Posts. If I read a post I may want to return to I subscribe or bookmark the post in the little red box next to post reply. Somewhere I set not to email me. We are a friendly bunch so don't be afraid to ask questions.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 8:44 pm

Thanks Zeuspaul, I imagine it will take me awhile to understand what all the symbols stand for.
The tomatoes - in fact the whole garden is going to be planted into white bakery buckets I buy used for a few bucks from the grocery store.
Do you think my tomatoes will grow ok in straight Black Gold Organic Potting Mix Plus Fertilizer ? I'll try posting in the other catagories now that my introduction is old.
51w68u+DD1L._AC_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 am

@LindaJean I have never used that potting soil but I am guessing it will be just fine.

I assume the buckets are real 5 gallon buckets which are larger than a nursery 5 gallon container. In general 5 gallons is a minimum for tomatoes. Smaller containers require more attention to watering. You need to drill drainage holes in the bottom. Some people stack two of the buckets, drilling holes in the top bucket and the lower bucket acts as a water reservoir. I am not suggesting you do this.

The fertilizer in the mix will get you started. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and as the season progresses you will want to add some fertilizer.

Also as an FYI when posting and mentioning a name if you first type the @ symbol and then start typing the name a list of users will appear. If you select the user name it will appear in the post highlighted as I did with your name and the user will be notified that they were mentioned. You can see that upper right under notifications.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 12:11 pm

@zeuspaul THANK YOU for taking the time to write, it was heartening to read your advice.
Many years ago my neck was broken, I'm not very strong at all. I bit off way more than I could chew with this grand bucket farm idea, being downscaled daily. No turning back now, I'm committed to see these tomatoes through to completion. If the day comes when I hold a Blue Beauty it will be so amazing.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 12:27 pm

Welcome LindaJean.

There is at least one other TJunction member from northern Idaho, BettyC-5. You're lucky that you're starting with tomatoes, this year. Betty told me that last year was really rough, with the extreme heat in her area.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 1:08 pm

I'll watch for Betty's posts .
We could take a little heat right now - without grow lights my tomato starts are wistfully looking out the window on grey skies.
For a few rainy days the attention can be toward drilling bucket holes, and digging spots for some new rose bands . My life has taken a fork in the road to prioritize growing something beautiful. I don't know what I did with all my time before gardening - whatever it was, this is a better use.

foxtailferns
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Love your pup @LindaJean--such a sweet face!

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 4:18 pm

@LindaJean It is not sufficient to just type the @ symbol and the name to create a mention. You also need the mention tags. They are inserted for you if you select the name from the drop down menu. The drop down is created when you type the @ symbol and the first few letters of the name when creating a reply.

I am an expert at too big of a garden. If I were to follow my own advice I would downsize some more. Fewer plants with more attention would likely give me better results. I am a few years ahead of you and have my own health issues.

I don't know the best way to drill holes in the buckets. Bottom holes? or holes on the sides near the bottom? and what size? If in doubt start a thread and ask.
mention.png
mention2.png

Return to “Introductions”