Super Fantastic!

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Super Fantastic!

Wed May 25, 2022 7:33 pm

A few years ago, after planting my garden including all the tomato plants I had germinated, I found three or four empty spots with nothing but dirt and weeds occupying the spaces. The empty spaces seemed to beg for something productive to occupy them. I went shopping for tomato seedlings to fill the spaces. All of my local vendors had sold everything they had with the exception of a few scraggly super fantastic plants. They looked as if they were headed for the trash can if I didn't rescue them. I took them home and planted them in the empty spaces. My expectations were very low for them as tomato plants but very high with expectations of them as nothing more than place holders for the good plants using the spaces next year. I was wrong! The space holders turned out to be great tomato plants in all aspects. I knew they were indeterminate in growth, but I didn't know they would over grow the concrete wire cages they were in and then try to strangle all other plants near them as they creeped across the ground producing very nice, large tomatoes.

slugworth
Reactions:

Re: Super Fantastic!

Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 pm

I had the opposite results.
I bought a six pack and planted them but they got sunscald and are pretty much kaput.
Mortgage lifter from the same episode are waiting to be planted and are doing fine.
A lot of bought plants got sunscald so they must have been sheltered away from sunlight when I got them.
I have seen fantastic and super fantastic but never saw any difference.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:34 pm

slugworth wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 pm I had the opposite results.
I bought a six pack and planted them but they got sunscald and are pretty much kaput.
Mortgage lifter from the same episode are waiting to be planted and are doing fine.
A lot of bought plants got sunscald so they must have been sheltered away from sunlight when I got them.
I have seen fantastic and super fantastic but never saw any difference.
I grew them last season with great results including surviving the heat of summer. They grew so large, so fast; they tipped their small tomato cage over and the race was on as they started spreading like watermelon vines. I didn't try to correct their bully attitude towards other plants and simply let them grow and spread as they chose. As a reward, they gave me lots of very good tomatoes. Last year and this year, I acquired hot house seedlings and they were well hardened off. When I grow from seed I always harden them off and test purchased plants in the sum before planting them.

slugworth
Reactions:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:43 pm

the survivors are the same size as when I planted them weeks ago

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:21 pm

I started seeds for Super Fantastic F1, but I gave the plant away. The person I gave them to was satisfied with the plants (no complaints; I gave them a few other varieties, too), but that's as much information as I managed to get. I think that was in 2018.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Dawn
Reactions:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 pm

I grew a small garden one year at my sister's house. She refused to water it, and I couldn't come every day, and then we had a long stretch of too-hot temps, so I gave up. Everything died. Except the 2 super fantastic tomato plants I threw in there. They didn't produce anything until September, so I got no ripe tomatoes, but these 2 plants vined all over the place, and set hundreds of tomatoes, it was crazy. My mom's birthday is late October, and it hadn't frosted yet, but would soon, so I gave her a big bag of green tomatoes and some panko breadcrumbs for her birthday 😂. She was happy.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:19 pm

I splurged and bought a 1 gallon $6 super fantastic plant today with blossoms.

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:29 pm

I used dusting sulphur on the soil next to the previous super fantastic remaining plants to try to get the ph down.
I got some on my shoes;and like the good witch said,"such a smell of sulphur" wherever I go.

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”