Sunshine Mix for Raised Beds suitable for Containers?

MissTee
Reactions:

Sunshine Mix for Raised Beds suitable for Containers?

Thu May 26, 2022 2:14 pm

Wondering if anyone has used the Sunshine Mix for Raised Beds (2cu ft bale) for container growing? I am using 5 gallon plastic pails and 7 gallon grow bags.

Pro Mix Herb and Veg is sold out and I’m too lazy to make my own custom blend this year.
Too many tomatoes, not enough time.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Sunshine Mix for Raised Beds suitable for Containers?

Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm

I used a one of the compressed Sunshine mixes years ago for SIPs - number 4 sticks in my mind, in a black plastic bag. It worked just as well as Promix, though as with Promix, I added a little more perlite, plus some worm castings. I'm sure the raised bed mix would work well in other containers, as well, though it probably doesn't have as much perlite, though I have not seen it.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

mama_lor
Reactions:

Fri May 27, 2022 5:33 am

It should work, yes.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 am

I am not sure which mix you are referring to specifically, but the ones I saw online all had perlite in them. To me, that indicates it should be good for containers. Not that you necessarily need perlite, but I prefer to have it or something similar in my container mix. However, the Sunshine Raised Bed mixes I saw online were comprised of only perlite and peat moss. Much like the Sunshine Mix #4 that I am using. I am adding compost, garden soil and granular fert to it since it is devoid of organic matter.

I really like the SunGro Sunshine Mix #4.

edit: added some images showing the difference between Mix#4 and Raised bed Mix. Not a lot of perlite in the raised bed mix, but I would still add some organic matter.
sunshinemix4.jpg
raisebedmix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissTee
Reactions:

Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 am

It’s the Raised Bed Mix I’m referring to. Looks pretty similar to the #4 Mix though in terms of composition.

The store’s website says:
“ Ready to use for vegetables, herbs and flowers in raised beds or large containers. Contains organic fertilizer to get plants off to a great start”.

I guess my concern is that it says “large containers” which I imagine is those large cattle troughs. I’m using smaller pots. I have been used to either making my own blend with the PRoMix BX. But last year switched to ProMix Herb & Veg to spare some effort.

If anyone has used this Raised Bed Mix with small containers would like to hear your review.
Too many tomatoes, not enough time.

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”