Is muslin an OK material for blossom bags?

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Is muslin an OK material for blossom bags?

Thu May 26, 2022 4:23 pm

I just made a handful of blossom isolation bags with some sheer curtain fabric I had left over from my beekeeping days. (Makes a great strainer!) I would like a few more and all I have laying around is some unbleached cotton muslin. They'd be opaque so I'd have to open them and look at the blossoms' progress but I wonder if it would be otherwise suitable? And what dimensions would be good? The ones I've made so far are a bit all over the map sizewise.

Thanks!
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Is muslin an OK material for blossom bags?

Thu May 26, 2022 5:14 pm

They may actually be a bit solid, the normal bags used are made from organza, which allows everything to breathe, keeping humidity low. Thinking that there is a reasonably high chance that the muslin would trap the humidity leading to fungal/rot issues

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Re: Is muslin an OK material for blossom bags?

Fri May 27, 2022 9:53 am

Whwoz wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:14 pm They may actually be a bit solid, the normal bags used are made from organza, which allows everything to breathe, keeping humidity low. Thinking that there is a reasonably high chance that the muslin would trap the humidity leading to fungal/rot issues
Yeah, that's what I was thinking so I thought I'd better ask. I'll pick up some more of the sheer curtain stuff and make more out of that. Thanks!
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”