De 18 Jours radishes

Shule
Reactions:

De 18 Jours radishes

Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 pm

I'm growing De 18 Jours radishes. They're supposed to take eighteen days until they're ready. They were a bit later for me, but still early. I'm growing them in 18-gallon totes.

They're really tasty and nice. The greens have a buttery flavor. They're mild with regard to spiciness, and easy to grow. They even bulb when crowded.

I ate some this afternoon sliced and fried with eggs and salt in extra virgin olive oil. They were quite good. I fried the leaves that way, too, separately (they were really good on buttered toast). Frying takes all the heat out. The flavor of the fried radishes reminded me of crab, but it's unique, and mild.

I just picked some and took a picture. I think some of my seeds are cross-pollinated, because I see two purple radishes! These were crowded ones, and to me, they look larger in real life than they appear in the pictures.

Last edited by Shule on Sat May 28, 2022 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Re: De 18 Jours radishes

Fri May 27, 2022 12:22 am

I just fried the pictured ones above up with some of a white onion, salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and three eggs. I put the greens and roots together. The result is really tasty! :) It still reminds me of crab.

I really need a flash on my tablet. Here's all but about a half a cup of what I made:

It's actually better without the toast, this way, but it's still good with toast.

I sampled a purple radish, and it tasted like the red ones.

Here's another post where I did this (but it tastes better done in the smaller quantities seen in our current thread): post70636.html#p70636
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Root Crops”