Old pea seed best way to plant

Whwoz
Reactions:

Old pea seed best way to plant

Sat May 28, 2022 8:17 pm

I have between 12 and 15 small lots (8 to 15 seeds) that are around 10 or 12 years old. Most likely refrigerator stored by the person who sent them to me and refrigerator stored since I have received them. Just wondering if anyone has any experience sowing pea seed of this age and thoughts on whether or not to soak them. May plant some each way.

bower
Reactions:

Re: Old pea seed best way to plant

Sun May 29, 2022 6:50 am

I do always soak mine at least overnight, whether old or new. Older seeds can take a bit longer to show signs of life, and if so I just freshen up the water periodically (strain off and rinse with fresh). If the seeds are still viable they'll swell and put out a radicle. Good luck! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 am

Bower wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:50 am I do always soak mine at least overnight, whether old or new. Older seeds can take a bit longer to show signs of life, and if so I just freshen up the water periodically (strain off and rinse with fresh). If the seeds are still viable they'll swell and put out a radicle. Good luck! :)
You recommend that way rather than the wet paper towel method? I had terrible pea germination problems this year, with a lot fresher seed than the OP.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 12:50 pm

For really old seeds, of many types, to see what will germinate, i first soak overnight, but then I put them in a seed sprouter - the kind of thing for sprouting mung beans, and the like - and set it by my kitchen sink, and rinse it several times a day. Fresh peas and beans can start sprouting by the end of the day! Even older ones won't take long - usually by the 2nd or 3rd day. I actually have some sprouting right now, started 2 nights ago. I seemed to have at least half of the 16 Blauhilde, and a few of the other 2 varieties not pop up, so I pre-sprouted some of them. The others sprouted enough the first day, and the Blauhilde filled up all but 2 spaces, but 3 more are sprouting the second day. It looks like there is 80% germination rate (though those other 2 might still sprout). Of course, you can't do this for larger plantings, but you can figure out what % you might get, with old seeds.
ImageLast 5 Blauhilde, sprouting on the 2nd day - only 2 of 10 seem like they will not sprout. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 1:15 pm

A seed sprouter...will wonders never cease, and right there on Amazon...

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 1:47 pm

love it would never have thought of using one....
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Also great for other seeds - peppers and tomatoes I use it for all the time, when I have questionable seeds. I keep an eye loupe next to it to look at smaller seeds, for looking for any that might sprout. And I always use it for parsley - takes only 8 days to start sprouting.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Our method is basically the same as pepperhead's but without the excellent design for the purpose. Just using an old butter tub or similar, strain off the water and rinse, keep moist, keep air circulating but not drying them out. I don't like them to be submerged in water more than overnight. After that I just keep them moist and sprinkle some inoculum onboard before planting. They seem to stay good to plant up to 5-6 days but if they start to put a shoot out before I get em in the ground, I'll tuck them in a flat of shallow potting mix and let them come up there before moving to the garden.

One comment on old pea seed, I had some that were described to me as "very old" and followed the usual method: One variety sprouted normally but I didn't get any peas from them: the plants seemed to be weak compared to those fresher seed neighbors. So I would give generous space and perhaps some nutrients to get any old samples started once they sprout. The second "old seed" variety did not put out a radicle, and after a longish wait they just went moldy. YMMV.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun May 29, 2022 6:11 pm

Thanks folks for the information. Will definitely soak and keep this thread updated.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon May 30, 2022 2:25 am

This thread has inspired me to rethink my seed sprouting. I usually soak my tomato seeds in a little bowl placed in a 1.75 quart glass Pyrex storage container. I place the container on a Broil King two burner counter top electric burner after first placing a ceramic floor tile on the little burner to moderate the heat. I place about 1/2 inch of water in the container and place the bowls inside with a thermometer. I set the adjustment knob to a very low setting. I wait to see a tiny sprout and then plant in a starting pot.

I have had good success with this method. I have tried a few other types of seeds also with good success. I don't do basil this way because the seeds become very sticky and are hard to handle. I direct sow basil in starting pots or the garden.

Then to my surprise I couldn't get zucchini seeds to sprout. These seeds were saved by me and were less than one year old. I assumed there was a problem with the seeds. On a hunch I planted several seeds from the same lot in one of my outdoor containers and they all sprouted within 3 or 4 days! Not enough oxygen when soaking in water? Does this lack of oxygen also affect my tomato seeds even though I have had good success?

So now I am trying a modification to my system. Instead of tiny bowls placed in the Pyrex storage container I am trying wood blocks. I cut 1/2 inch blocks off the end of a 2 x 3 inch piece of wood. I placed the blocks in the Pyrex container with about 1/2 inch of water. Within about an hour the blocks appeared to be saturated. I soaked a few zucchini seeds in water for a couple of hours. Then I placed the seeds on top of a block of wood. I am also trying a few tomato seeds.

I was able to place 5 tiny bowls in this container. With the wood block system I can place 10 blocks of wood.

I have a feeling this system will work. I will know in a few days.
seedstarter.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:22 am

zeuspaul wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:25 am This thread has inspired me to rethink my seed sprouting.
Success! The squash seeds sprouted while sitting on the board for about 2 days. These come from the same batch that didn't sprout while soaking in water. Temp was about 78 degrees F (25 C). The only difference was the board.

Thinking back I tried sprouting some old bean seeds in water a few months ago with no success. I assumed they were too old. Now I am wondering if the seeds would sprout with the board method?

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:27 am

A much better day today weather wise meant that I was able to fix up one of the new pea bed with its trellis. At 5.8 m long this will take most of the old seed varieties, a couple are field peas and should not need a trellis, although I may setup a length of gate infill for these shorter peas.

The varieties
IMG_20220613_173825_179.jpg
IMG_20220613_173907_773.jpg
5 seeds of each of 12 varieties are soaking, I have Delta Louise up and have grown Yakumo Giant before
Trialing these to see how well they grow here and if they are affected by powdery mildew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:32 am

They are UP!, Well most of the varieties put in to soak have shot, with roots upto an inch or maybe slightly longer on some. Snowman and Salahi are the only ones not to have put out root yet. All seeds have swollen and it has only been 3 days so time yet.
IMG_20220616_202804_922.jpg
IMG_20220616_203010_155.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:35 am

Snowman starting to germinate, time to try and check out some of these varieties to see how tall they will grow.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:26 am

The first 10 lots of seed to germinate have been planted today. Still have Snowman and Salahi to go, only one or two Snowman have shot, no Salahi yet. Will give it another week and resoak these

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:43 am

Posting what information I have on these varieties here, not much, will update as season progresses or I find out more. Will cross post to glog also.

Delta Dusk: planted 18/6/22, 5 out of 5 seeds shot

Snowman: A Oregon Giant Selection? approx 1 m tall

Salahi: No info/germation as of yet (18/6)

Oregon: from Eden Seeds, probably a snow pea approx 70cm high P 18/6 5/5 seeds

Jupiter: Purple podded Snowpea, supposed to be 1.5 m tall. Named after former Ozgrow member Jupiter by fellow Ozgrow member (and later owner) Templeton aka Gregg Muller from whom I got these seeds. Have grown 3 times previously,.

Lacy lady: Dwarf Tendril Snow? planted 18/6. 4/5 germ

Swiss Giant Snow: approx 1.5m tall. May well be "Schweizer Riesen", a highly regarded old Swiss variety. Planted 18/6 5/5 germ

Anglea's Blue: no info, planted 18/6 5/5 germ.

Mukta: Field Pea, assume short , probably shelling, time will tell. Planted 18/6 5/5 germ.

Kaspa: Field pea (Kaspa Dun Snow?) planted 18/6 5/5 germ

Chinese Snow #2947: No info. planted 18/6 3/5 germ.

Roide Carouby: Carouby De Maussane? planted 18/6 4/5 germ

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:08 am

One of the as yet unsown Snowman peas collapsed in the container today, if I get a chance tomorrow will plant remaining 4. The Salahi are not showing any sign of life.

Looks like the birds found some of the ones I had planted also, several plants have been pulled out. Not happy Magpies!!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:53 am

Will finally get a chance to check these properly tomorrow, fingers crossed. Suspect that I may have to start a few more though.

Return to “Garden Peas”