When is it to late to plant corn?

Spike
Reactions:

When is it to late to plant corn?

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:54 am

We have had more than our share of rain and then there has bee some very bad not good things happen here so I still don't have the corn planted :( They always say "knee high by the Fourth of July" but how late is to late?
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Re: When is it to late to plant corn?

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:25 pm

Chuckling you mean how early can you plant corn right? Mine is still sitting in the seed box...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:26 pm

Not for sure where the knee high orientated.
Far south or up north.
Regardless you would need to plant a variety that has a short growing period.
The hughe tall corn they grow in south America takes something Ike 9 to 10 months i think.
They don't have a winter.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:55 pm

https://agcrops.osu.edu/newsletter/corn ... s-consider

Looks like before May 25th is ideal. What are you three weeks after that?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Spike
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:52 pm

Yeah, between the rains and getting husband out of the hospital, I am so behind on everything.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:28 pm

https://north40.com/blog/growing-corn-s ... ern-season

Here’s an article from someone from Ohio that grew short days to harvest sweet corn.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:46 pm

The corn should germinate quickly with warmer temperatures but whether you get a crop could depend on the variety and how early your frost date is.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

ddsack
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:54 pm

Go ahead and plant it now, with these hot summers it will mature just fine, just be a couple weeks later than if you planted earlier. Nothing wrong with getting corn in August or early September. Many growers have successive plantings of 10-14 day blocks to extend the fresh pick season.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:20 pm

I am not a corn grower, but my friend has been growing corn on her farm for some years. She starts them indoors and we transplant them when they're about six inches tall, middle of July. And she has corn in September. Yes it may depend of course on your variety, if it's a long season type it might be too late, but ... I say go for it!
And good luck with the other things, hope your summer goes smoothly from here with rest and recreation for all concerned.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:59 pm

karstopography wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:28 pm https://north40.com/blog/growing-corn-s ... ern-season

Here’s an article from someone from Ohio that grew short days to harvest sweet corn.
That's interesting about their Silver Queen taking 92 days in Montana. Here in Georgia with the ability to get it in the ground early to avoid the worst heat of summer, mine regularly finishes in 68-70 days. Geography is everything when it comes to growing stuff! Insect pressure too. I've tried to grow a second later crop of SQ and it just doesn't work for me here. The heat beats on it, the funk gets it and the bugs get into it so I quit trying.

@Spike, I'd go ahead and try it. Nothing to lose but a pack of seeds! And I hope DH is recovering quickly.

Spike
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:12 pm

You guys/gals all ROCK! Thanks and you are right. Can't hurt to give it a shot! <3

slugworth
Reactions:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:31 pm

after the japanese beetle days of the 1980's I gave up and pledged my allegiance to tomatoes.
One time I ran out of the jap beetle trap bags and used a bread bag instead.
Filled the bag in 1 day.Silver queen takes forever and you would never see it for roadside sale before sept. here.
I did the platinum lady and saved the seeds,which was interesting.
It went from white to white and yellow kernels to a light yellow kernel.
I did have it up to 5 ears per stalk in it's heyday.Earwigs would nest in the ends,which made it yucky.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:10 am

I don't think it is too late for you to get it in now. I have planted mid-July and still got a decent harvest. I have planted end of July and gotten some in October, but light is running out by then for good ear formation, and there was unaccounted for tree shade due to the low sun.

My first set of corn is around 8-10 leaves by now, past knee high for sure. They say that around here, too, but it means nothing to me. I always thought it was for horse corn. My first sweet corn is generally knee high by the 4th of June. I have red beets in the rows as well, and am going to stick in sweet potato slips in between the rows, hopefully tomorrow. It is getting almost too high to get in to do that.

When I try seed in the ground the germination is always spotty - it never rains for me. So I do soil blocks for most all my corn, not just early.

I just started my second set of soil blocks a few hours ago. Should have started one or two weeks ago. That will be block#2, here at home. Doing sweet potatoes under that too. I will start my third set of trays for block#3 in two weeks to put at the comm garden. I'm not decided yet whether it will replace the garlic rows or the pea rows, peas I think. That will be seedlings around July 4th plant-out and should be good corn around mid-September. First frost here is usually mid October, but the light is waning before that. This is an 80 or 85 day corn but transplanted and growing in the heat of August, it will come fast and be fine as long as there is enough water. We get a lot of 80F days in September. Bug pressure is usually heavier for the last crop.

Danny
Reactions:

Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:08 am

For bugs like earwigs or corn ear worms, a couple of drops of mineral oil stops that.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm

As follow up, I did get a solid harvest for both block 2 that was seeded into trays on Jun 14th and transplanted in the backyard, and the block 3 that was seeded into trays somewhere around 2 weeks later and transplanted into the comm garden (that was the premier sock block). The only real problem with block 3 planted at that late a time was a bold July groundhog used the tall tomato rows as concealment to mow down about 1/8th of the block, within a couple weeks of transplanting.

Spike
Reactions:

Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:01 pm

@JRinPA Thank you for that update!! Due to my husbands medical issues I was never able to actually get the corn planted. I have high hopes for this season!

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”