Danged &%$#@+(^$ Critters!

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
bower
Reactions:

Re: Danged &%$#@+(^$ Critters!

Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:56 am

Vole activity seems to have dwindled with the return of Mrs. Cat. My neighbors have this splendid animal, a hunter by trade and at least the size of two local hares. Big, proper barn cat. Her activities seem to be curtailed by the owners during the bird nesting season, which is now over and so she has returned to prowl my yard and surrounding woods. Glad to see her and to hear the little bell tinkling deep in the vegetation...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:34 pm

bower wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:56 am Vole activity seems to have dwindled with the return of Mrs. Cat. My neighbors have this splendid animal, a hunter by trade and at least the size of two local hares. Big, proper barn cat. Her activities seem to be curtailed by the owners during the bird nesting season, which is now over and so she has returned to prowl my yard and surrounding woods. Glad to see her and to hear the little bell tinkling deep in the vegetation...
I think that we all could use one of these. The best defense yet. It's too bad that we aren't allowed to have free roaming cats here.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:51 pm

A Chippy enjoyed the peanut butter and sunflower seeds. :D

It's a start.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:27 pm

MissS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:51 pm A Chippy enjoyed the peanut butter and sunflower seeds. :D

It's a start.
One down and 900,000 to go. Go get 'em, girl! :D

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:04 pm

a slug was eating a tomato I picked close to the ground and damaged another.
One of the drawbacks of letting plants sprawl.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:49 pm

slugworth wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:04 pm a slug was eating a tomato I picked close to the ground and damaged another.
One of the drawbacks of letting plants sprawl.
Ohhhh! Is that what was eating my tomato? I have a plant where the first truss tore almost all the way off the stem, so put a plastic container upside down on the ground to support it. Something was nibbling the top of one of them, I presumed it was a bird but they didn't really look like bird pecks.

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:28 pm

slug menu I would say.
since I can't drink beer anymore,I will give the slugs some to wash it down.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:29 pm

Slugs are just about the only pest that I'm not having major problems with this year. It's just been too dry for them to do much damage. No mosquito bites for me either. That puts a smile on my face!
~ Patti ~

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:58 am

We picked all the spring planted cabbage as of the other day. I lost a few to splitting and not noticing (under agribon and drip tape valve accidentally on for that row) until they were rotted some. This was just last week and normally they would have been picked by then. But very little in the way of bug damage under there. The uncovered cabbage/onion patch my brother planted did great. I sprayed it with BT at the first sign of cabbage worm damage, and there was almost no continued damage. I may have sprayed 6 times in total. Lots of 14 lb cabbages and only one split. Three 5 gallon kraut buckets filled today. We won this round, critters! I only found one slug today that bored into one of those cabbages.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:48 am

I'm not happy. I just got a notice from our HOA.
"Greetings,
Wanted to alert you to the report of coyote(s) being spotted in backyards along Shooting Star Rd. In three instances, animals, including turkeys and deer,. have been killed by the coyotes right on the property .

Please be hyper vigilant in watching kids and small animals in your yard. MBFHOA is in the process of hiring a nuisance trapper, as there have been repeated visits and is not a one off situation,and is the recommended action given by the DNR."

We have had the coyotes here since forever and they help to control the rabbits, mice, and other critters. Since their return the rabbit numbers are way way down. Yes the do take a few turkeys out too but we have about 200 turkeys in the neighborhood and their poop is everywhere. The street that they mention is right along a major roadway. Most likely the deer was hit by a car and then finished off by the coyotes. The coyotes don't understand that they were in someone's yard. Pick up the mess and be glad that they are out doing their job! They are better than any trap at controlling our vermin.

That's just my 2¢
~ Patti ~

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:12 am

Miss S, we have had a lot of coyote stories in the news past few years here in the NJ area, including a recent one in a park area, after a coyote attacked a dog being walked, and then the owner when they tried to protect the dog. They closed part of the park for several days to "find, trap, or kill the coyote". To be fair, they said they suspected the coyote was rabid.

At the time I mused about how we systematically destroy the predators, then complain about the pests that are there from lack of predators, but then immediately target the predators again once they start to come back. Not that I'm advocating for people or dogs to get attacked by coyotes. It's just this is also a park area where they do a yearly deer hunt to stop the deforestation caused by the deer overpopulation, which is of course because there are no wolves to control the deer (that are only controlled by the car population, as you noted).

This sounded like a lot better post when I started it.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:26 am

Nah don't worry about that, good points. Unfiltered is good.

A coyote that threatens a pet when a human is nearby - something is wrong with that animal's survival instinct. Rabies or something else has screwed up the brain, and it is dangerous.

Unless the coyotes are running as pack they are not going to take down a deer - nab a young fawn, yeah that happens.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:01 pm

Coyote in Encinitas rips through woman's window screen, kills her cat

By: Perla ShaheenPosted at 7:48 PM, Aug 08, 2023 and last updated 7:49 AM, Aug 09, 2023

ENCINITAS (KGTV) — It was a brutal ending to a 10-year friendship.

“My very best friend, love of my life,” said Encinitas resident Carol Kelly.

Kelly's cat, Luke, often slept at his favorite spot near the window of their home. The window is usually closed, but it was especially hot on Saturday morning, so Kelly kept it open.

A coyote on the hunt took advantage of the opportunity, and Kelly said it jumped through the opening and dragged Luke away.

“I can't believe it because that’s a high window. That’s about eight feet," she said.

The coyote tore through the window screen to get to Luke. The attack broke the frame in half.

<snip>

https://www.10news.com/news/coyote-in-e ... ls-her-cat

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Neighbors on the opposite shore of the 110 meter wide, 2,500 meter long lake from us recently had their King Charles Spaniel fatally attacked by a group of four coyotes. Neighbor witnessed it all mere feet away from the front porch of their home, but even though he immediately intervened to save the pet it was too late. Their pet was let out to relieve itself on the front lawn at around 7pm so still light out, but the coyotes charged out of the surrounding woods in a coordinated attack.

My folks had a coyote on their front porch not too long ago, but that particular coyote was later that day tracked to a culvert about 1,000 feet away, but within the city limits. City animal control destroyed the coyote.

I hear coyotes almost any night I happen to be outside after dark. I stay close to my dog especially early in the morning or late in the evening. Our dog gets very nervous and spooked about some of the scents out on the lawn at times, makes me wonder what he’s picking up on.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:35 pm

If they are grouped up in a pack, clearly something should be done about them, and it is not trap and transport. That was decided long, long ago, as soon as people started farming, ranching, and forming permanent communities. Teeth and claws aren't permitted near our families. It hasn't changed, unless we are devaluing human life.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm

JRinPA wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:35 pm If they are grouped up in a pack, clearly something should be done about them, and it is not trap and transport. That was decided long, long ago, as soon as people started farming, ranching, and forming permanent communities. Teeth and claws aren't permitted near our families. It hasn't changed, unless we are devaluing human life.
Coyotes here have been targeted and killed both by private citizens, animal control and even a professional service. I don’t know about the latest attack and what if anything has been done about that. There’s an expanse of wild lands of forests, prairies, thickets, rivers, bayous, creeks and swampy areas to the southwest, west and north of us that serves as a reservoir for these predators. Too many hidey holes to cover and I guess the coyotes see people’s pets as easier prey than the deer, feral hogs and other wildlife.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:00 pm

Setec Astronomy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:12 am Miss S, we have had a lot of coyote stories in the news past few years here in the NJ area, including a recent one in a park area, after a coyote attacked a dog being walked, and then the owner when they tried to protect the dog. They closed part of the park for several days to "find, trap, or kill the coyote". To be fair, they said they suspected the coyote was rabid.

At the time I mused about how we systematically destroy the predators, then complain about the pests that are there from lack of predators, but then immediately target the predators again once they start to come back. Not that I'm advocating for people or dogs to get attacked by coyotes. It's just this is also a park area where they do a yearly deer hunt to stop the deforestation caused by the deer overpopulation, which is of course because there are no wolves to control the deer (that are only controlled by the car population, as you noted).

This sounded like a lot better post when I started it.
Our deer population is way out of control. Our HOA won't allow any hunting here but the 3 adjacent HOA's have gotten together with the DNR to cull the herd. Last year 72 were culled. They had culled the coyotes about 10 years ago. The rabbit, deer, and turkey populations have skyrocketed. If you destroy the predator then you need to step in and do their job. It's just that simple.

To date, there has not been any instance of a dog being a victim or a child. This does rather surprise me as we are a fence free community which means most people tie their dogs out. I find this a bit ridiculous too. It's like putting your dog out there on a fishing line but you get mad when the fish bites while you are indoor watching TV. Some of the rules people make and the things that they do amaze me.

An animal that is aggressive towards people needs to be delt with, otherwise be glad that they are out working hard for us.
~ Patti ~

bower
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 pm

I saw a coyote here once, a couple years ago. It was early morning and I was standing near the window but no lights on in the house, and the animal just walked through without realizing I was there. It wasn't a huge animal and TBH it had a pleasant face. Just calm and intelligent. I had some pics of a fox when it nailed a rabbit and I would not want to be near that animal after seeing the closeup. It looked really deranged. Anyhoo coyotes if present are very background here, seldom seen. But I agree 100% MissS, if we remove the predators we have to perform their role, no doubt about it!
That small rabbit lurking here since spring has grown up to full size but is still hanging about the yard. Now and then I stumble into his turf and he bolts for it. I have to say this one gave me zero trouble all year. The row cover surround does seem to stop them getting interested, there's so much else to eat. If there are large numbers around to party, I haven't seen them or any damage. Can't say the same for vole!
temperate marine climate

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:33 am

I had a coyote get within ten feet from me while I was Elk Hunting a few years ago in Colorado. What a great experience it was watching that coyote move and edge my way. I was sitting in a chair at ground level with just a bit of brush around me to break up my outline. There was several inches of fresh snow on the ground. I was very still and the coyote didn’t see me as it came closer and closer. But the instant the coyote intersected my path in the snow, it became instantly alarmed and stopped moving forward. I still didn’t move, but my scent must have lingered on the snow and alerted the coyote. That coyote did not seem to know what to do, it didn’t run or continue forward, but it was so very close and I thought it was only a matter of time before it figured out I was right there next to it. Sure enough, the coyote looked my way and there was that flash of recognition or realization that I represented danger. Off it went back the way it came.

Another hunt I watched from atop a high mesa through my binoculars a coyote lure two dogs away from home. The dogs would run after the coyote and the coyote would stay ahead of them. These were big dogs like golden retriever types. The dogs would give up the chase after 100 or 200 yards or so, but the coyote would circle back and the dogs would pick up the chase again, but this time a little farther from home. This pattern went on until one dog gave up and went home for good. The other dog kept at it until the coyote and dog disappeared from sight. I heard later the people’s dog went missing.

bower
Reactions:

Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:55 pm

Well... vole summer has been an eye opener. This animal capable of destroying any crop you like (except garlic?). The animal has recently moved on to harvesting my grains as they become ripe. I had to cut some things very early in the fear they would be gone, so I hope they still mature viable seed.
HOWEVER, I'm here to tell you VOLE IS DEAD!!!! :D
Mrs. Cat came through this morning while I was having a lock rekeyed, and strolled past my laundry on the line and blinked at me while I gave her the usual respectful pep talk. Just went out to bring the clothes in, and there he was, laid on the ground in fly buzzing splendor. I will spare you an actual photo of that, but YAY YAY it's a VERY GOOD DAY.
temperate marine climate

Return to “The Gallery”