2023/2024 spoiler alert

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

MissS
Reactions:

Re: 2023/2024 spoiler alert

Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:57 pm

Docmom wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:43 pm I just came back from a walk in my neighborhood, and brought back a very healthy-sized bag of Joe Pye Weed seed. I would be happy to send nearly the entire bag for any attempts at growing it. I could even go back and collect bags and bags of more fresh seed. I have also had years of poor results at purposeful germination, but my sister has it springing up in her gravel driveway like a weed. So, it can be grown. And, it is an excellent pollinator attractor.

Martha
It is notorious for having very poor seed production. If you look closely at what you collected for the amount of fluff, there are very very few seeds in there.
~ Patti ~

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:00 pm

the only thing i have for sure right now is catawissa walking onion topsets, and garlic bulbils
the garlic i have a lot of large size bulbils that will give you either large rounds or small divided bulbs
next summer. i also have a mix of smaller bulbils that consist of music, martins heirloom, and maybe a red russian
garlic. it might be best for me to send these out to individuals that want them rather than send a bulk box to gary.
this way, you would get them sooner, and in the ground sooner.
whatcha think. if you are interested you can send me a PM.

if you have garlic bulbils of your own or small shippable alliums to swap you can let me know what you have. anything
i plant has to be in the ground by october. otherwise i can just mail mine to you.

keith

Docmom
Reactions:

Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:39 am

MissS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:57 pm
Docmom wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:43 pm I just came back from a walk in my neighborhood, and brought back a very healthy-sized bag of Joe Pye Weed seed. I would be happy to send nearly the entire bag for any attempts at growing it. I could even go back and collect bags and bags of more fresh seed. I have also had years of poor results at purposeful germination, but my sister has it springing up in her gravel driveway like a weed. So, it can be grown. And, it is an excellent pollinator attractor.

Martha
It is notorious for having very poor seed production. If you look closely at what you collected for the amount of fluff, there are very very few seeds in there.
There is definately a significant amount of chaff, since each seed has a "fluff" attached, but there are thousands of seeds attached to those fluffs. I tried to rub the baggie to detach the fluffs from the seeds, but they seem pretty firmly adhered. I'll give it some more time and keep trying. But, I definitely have plenty of seed. Germination rates remain to be seen, but will need cold, moist stratification, etc.

Martha

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:33 pm

FullSizeRender.jpeg
The last of the saved seeds for the current MMMM effort now drying. I have no idea if there is much or any demand for okra seeds, but I plan on sending both Sea Island Red and Star of David. The Star of David is saved seed from last year’s saved seed, but this year’s plants seem identical to last year’s version.

Coyote tomato has gotten mentioned as a wish list want and I’ll be sending I’m thinking 25 bags of 5+/bag of those. The Coyote seeds are dry, but I’ll let them go a little longer to make sure. The okra is going to need a bit more time.

Ready to bag and box it all up and the rest of the seeds and get them out of here. I’m thinking a mid-October ETA in Westfield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

rxkeith
Reactions:

Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 pm

tuscarora half runner bread beans will be coming in. these came from remy via a tuscarora friend or neighbor.
i have never grown out a large enough number of beans to attempt making the bread. so, for those
of you who wish to do so, you will have a chance to. i should have a good amount of seeds provided
frost holds off for a couple weeks. remy lives on with the seeds she has shared.

experimental category
there will be some seeds from tetsukabuto, a f1 hybrid. pollinators will be gills sugar hubbard, a couple hubbard
hybrids, and sweet fall which may have crossed with a hubbard. the sweet fall is gray/green instead of pink.
i am uncertain if scarchuks supreme or thelma sanders sweet potato could also be pollinators. rest assured there
will be diverse mix from saved seeds.
if the sweet fall from saved seeds is crossed, but a taste winner, i will include some of those seeds from 2022.

i still have garlic bulbils, and catawissa onion topsets. i won't be running out any time soon.
pm me if you want some.

keith

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 pm

Bluebeard is Caryopteris, a Subshrub often sold as a perennial. There is a variety of Bluebeard called Blue Mist, though I don’t think I have that variety. To add to the confusion, there is a native perennial called Blue Mist flower, which is Conoclinium coelestinum. Blue mist flower, though native, is prolific and can crowd out other plants if not thinned. I have both blue mist flower and Bluebeard.

Iranian wood sage is zone 6 and above. It is super easy. I can seedlings when it self sows. I have seen it do well in sun and shade and I completely ignore it care wise.

The yarrow is a mix of pink and red. The white though native spreads a lot and is difficult to contain when it gets out of hand so I don’t collect seeds from those.

The mountain mint, the joe pye, and the globe thistle are the biggest pollinators attractions of the ones you listed.

Many of these require moist soil at a temperature of below 40F for 90 days to break dormancy. If your temperatures don’t get that cold in winter, you can stratify the seeds in the moot soil in the fridge. Some people alternate freezer and fridge to mimic natures rise and fall of cold temperatures.

I go through the seeds to make sure they are viable based on appearance and remove as much chaff as possible.

This site has the best germination instructions by Latin name:

https://tomclothier.hort.net/

Prairie Moon has excellent germination instructions for natives. I am wondering if your seeds for the joe pye were not viable.
8D076B59-753C-41AC-A7F6-393B328A6A56.jpeg
A3C40973-5FC6-445D-87F5-8E37CAA53F34.jpeg
A470AEFA-B58A-4AF4-B030-47E0A3726554.jpeg
6ACA6C0B-5766-4F13-AC66-4A99E2581616.jpeg
1ACEF61B-1847-4606-A14D-FF213A818545.jpeg
314E7B21-F711-40BF-B8A0-CE02DE80B602.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:39 am

It looks like I'll have some Cajun Jewel okra seed to send in. It's drying now. Per Southern Exposure's catalog description:

53 days. [Introduced 1989 by SESE. Local favorite in Cajun country since the 1950s.] Dwarf-type, 2½-4 ft. tall spineless plants produce an early crop of tender 1 in. diameter pods up to 8 in. long. Good flavor. Widely adapted.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:42 am

Question: I have seed for five or six different colors of Benary's Giant zinnias. Should I send in colors separately or mix a few of each color in the bags? I might have enough to do both but won't know until I actually bag them up.

Hornad
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:46 am

GoDawgs wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:42 am Question: I have seed for five or six different colors of Benary's Giant zinnias. Should I send in colors separately or mix a few of each color in the bags? I might have enough to do both but won't know until I actually bag them up.
I think it would be fun to dye them by color with food coloring and then mix them together

ranegrow
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:50 pm

I will be sending in:

Tomatoes:
Rebel Alliance
Mega Trusses
Rose Quartz
KARMA Pink

Beans:
Rattlesnake pole beans
Jade bush beans

Melons:
Zatta melon
Cekirdegi Oyali watermelon - still drying

I can send in some milkweed seeds too if there is any interest.

Still saving and drying a few seeds and will go thru my stash to see what I have saved from previous years that are still good and can send in as well. Summer went by too fast, its sad to say good bye to fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden but looking at the seed lists, this fabulous MMMMM swap, the Secret Santa seed swap ( Christmas is not that far away :shock:) and planning my 2024 garden is fun too. :D
Last edited by ranegrow on Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:21 pm

Hornad wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:46 am
GoDawgs wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:42 am Question: I have seed for five or six different colors of Benary's Giant zinnias. Should I send in colors separately or mix a few of each color in the bags? I might have enough to do both but won't know until I actually bag them up.
I think it would be fun to dye them by color with food coloring and then mix them together
I think it would be fun to send them all to you and let YOU have all that fun. ROFL! That's the thing about mixed seed though. If there are 20 seeds in a pack and I start six seeds, with my luck there would be four plants of one color and two of another! And I don't have any of those hard to use 1x1" envelopes for putting five little packets of different colors in one mixed envelope.

Seriously though, I need to decide on this as the zinnias are the last thing I need to pack up before sending all my stuff to Tormato.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:37 am

Hornad wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:46 am
I have a few colors of Benary's that I grew this year. I just don't have the time to collect them separately so mine will be a mixed color offering.
~ Patti ~

agee
Reactions:

Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:00 am

I say, if it is not too much trouble, send them in separately, note the color and tagged them as unbagged if you did not take measures to prevent cross pollination. You can still do a some mixed bags but I think that there are people who would appreciate knowing what color they are in case they are doing a theme garden or otherwise want to plant certain colors.

Thanks for the offer, I will be including this on my wish list.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:25 am

MissS wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:37 am I have a few colors of Benary's that I grew this year. I just don't have the time to collect them separately so mine will be a mixed color offering.
OK, then I'll do mine by separate colors. Thanks! And thank you @agee for the suggestions. Appreciate it!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:24 am

I wasted gas this morning taking MMMM seeds to the Post Office only to find it closed for Columbus Day. Heavy sigh. OK, going into the mail tomorrow will be:

Micro Tomatoes
Tomato, Andrina
Tomato, Aztec
Tomato, Baby
Tomato, Chibbiko
Tomato, Curley Kaley
Tomato, Fat Frog
Tomato, Florida Petite
Tomato, Hahm's Gelbes Topftomate
Tomato, House
Tomato, Inkspot
Tomato, Lille Lise
Tomato, Minibel
Tomato, Pinocchio Orange
Tomato, Red Robin
Tomato, Venus
Tomato, Vilma
Tomato, Yellow Canary

Dwarf Tomatoes
Tomato, Elise's Fancy
Tomato, Loxton Lad
Tomato, Manö
Tomato, Sleeping Lady
Tomato, Velvet Night
Tomato, Wild Fred

Other Tomatoes
Tomato, Creole Original
Tomato, Daniel Burson
Tomato, Homestead
Tomato, Gardener's Sweetheart
Tomato, Fish Lake Oxheart

Miscellaneous
Celtuce, Green Mountain Winter
Cow Pea, Big Red Ripper
Kale, Dazzling Blue
Mustard, Chinese Bald Head
Onion, Evergreen Bunching, ‘Heshiko’
Watermelon, Charleston Gray
Zinnia, Benary's Giant Fuchsia
Zinnia, Benary's Giant Gold
Zinnia, Benary's Giant Pink
Zinnia, Benary's Giant Purple
Zinnia, Benary's Giant Reddish Orange
Zinnia, Benary's Giant White
Zinnia, Pinwheel Butterfly, Cherry w/white tips

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:35 pm

TOMATOES

CHERRY/CURRANT/GRAPE
Bumblebee, Pink
Dikovinka
M's Sun Sugar
Russian Mini Yellow
Verde Claro

DETERMINATE
Black Bear
Marmande
Shakhtersky

EASTERN EUROPEAN
Bordovyi
Caspian Pink
Rozovye Gryozy
Rozovyi Myod
Sakharnyi Pudovichok
Yusupov

HEART
Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart
Coeur Rose Strie De Pessac
Fish Lake Oxheart
Kiyevlyanka
Kosovo
Rebel Starfighter Prime
Sylvan Gaume

ITALIAN/PASTE/PLUM/CANNER/STUFFER
Orange Banana
Romeo
Sheboygan
Sojourner South American

MULTIFLORA
Geranium Kiss

STRIPED
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Porkchop
Queen Anne
Vintage Wine

BLACK
Blue's Bling
Leon Noire
Margaret Curtain
Marizol Purple
Negro de Monte
Pruden's Purple

GREEN
Cherokee Green Pear
Queen Aliquippa
Wild Thyme GWR

PINK
Alpha Pink
Brandywine, Glick's
Brandywine, Sudduth Strain
El-amar
Eva Purple Ball
Ferris Wheel
Fritz Ackermann
German Johnson
Grant County Pink
La Vie en Rose
Leningradski Giant
Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top
Lloyd E Frey
Marizol Bratka
Peak of Perfection
Ponderosa
Purple Passion
Rebel Yell
Rose de Berne
Royal Hillbilly
Sandul Moldovan
Soldacki
Tidwell German
Tiffen Mennonite
West Virginia Straw
West Virginia Sweetmeat

RED
Abraham Lincoln
Brandywine from Croatia PL
Daetwyler
Géante de Hutt
Grosse de Rodelle
Oncle Remi
Red Rose

Yasenichki Yabuchar

YELLOW/GOLD/ORANGE/WHITE/BICOLOR
Lucky Cross
Orange Crush
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Star
Virginia Sweets
Wapsipinicon Peach

PEPPERS
TBD

@Tormato If there is a variety that you have currently have plenty of seeds for, please let me know and I won't send any in.
Last edited by Toomanymatoes on Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:51 pm

Hello! I'll be sending in the following:

Flower:
1. Giant African Marigold (mine were 4 feet tall and some are still blooming!)

Peppers:
1. Naga Smooky Rainbow
2. Black Thai
3. Turkish Cayenne
4. Hallow's Eve

Dwarf/Micro Tomatoes:
1. Tartufo (12”)
2. Ruby Slippers (30”)
3. Emerald City (20”)
4. Sweet Baby Jade (32”)
5. Yellow Brick Road (16”)

Indeterminate Tomato:
2. Rebel Starfighter Kayleigh Anne
Last edited by Gthegardener on Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:24 am

This is the Mostly Mystery Mater Mailing and so with tradition of the old days my tomatoes and veggies will remain a mystery. I won't be sending in as much as I do most years due to disease but I have my good friend Lon who I started plants for and he was kind enough to give me some tomatoes to save seeds from. Thank you Lon!

I do have some perennials that I can send in but I won't send them unless there is some interest. I have seed for:

Blackberry Lily
White Turtle Head
Pink Turtle Head
Baptista
Vernonia gigantea - Tall Ironweed
~ Patti ~

colcol2
Reactions:

Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:56 pm

I would be interested in some Blackberry Lily

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:22 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:35 pm Bumblebee, Pink
I have both the regular Pink Bumble Bee and a mutated version where the fruit is usually larger than a quarter and almost cocktail-size. I only grow the latter version now. Wonder if I should send it in, trying hard to shill my seeds.

Return to “MMMM Swap”