is there a warm weather radish?

jbclem
Reactions:

is there a warm weather radish?

Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:35 am

I've been trying to grow common red radishes(french breakfast, cherry, white icicle) in containers in the warm/hot S.Calif spring and summer weather. I've used shade cloth and partial shade from trees...but they start out normally and then seem to fizzle out...the radish bulb isn't produced and the green leaves seem to grow slowly.

Are there are any radish varieties that are known for warm weather tolerance?

Shule
Reactions:

Re: is there a warm weather radish?

Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:15 am

I don't have that much experience with what I'm about to say, but I personally think one trick to prolong them into the heat further may be to give them more nitrogen (and/or high nitrogen fertilizer with other things) and probably use drip irrigation (while avoiding lack of drainage issues and disease). I've never used drip irrigation, though. Both heat and exposure to soil that is too dry can make them fibrous. The way they feel fibrous feels just like plants that have absorbed a lot of potassium. Nitrogen and potassium compete with each other; so, more nitrogen might make it more tender. I think the bulbing is a separate issue; for that, you probably just need more general fertilizer and sufficient sun, I'm guessing, and I know you need to space most varieties far enough apart.

I could be wrong about a lot of what I said in the previous paragraph, of course.

Fertilizer seems to be more important when it's hot for some crops than it is when it's cool and wet. I'm guessing that's true for radishes, too.

There are spring radishes, fall radishes, and winter radishes. I've never heard of summer radishes (let alone for southern California); I'd love to hear about it, though. I have heard that some radishes handle the heat better, but when I grew such a type, it handled it the same as all the other radishes.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: is there a warm weather radish?

Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 am

Sora might be worth given a try.

Return to “Root Crops”