Reactions:

How to take a Screenshot on Windows

Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:26 am

~ Patti ~

Sherry_AK
Reactions:

Re: How to take a Screenshot on Windows

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks so much for this! I just assumed it was a function not supported by Chrome and didn't investigate further.

Sherry

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:28 pm

I am using Windows 10. I hit print screen on the keyboard. Then I paste as new image in a free program called Gimp. Then I crop as desired and then export to a jpg or png for better quality. If I hit alt print screen I just get the active window.

Irfanview (also freeware) also works and is an easier program to use but isn't as capable as Gimp. In Irfanview after hitting print screen, go to edit/paste and then crop as desired.

Sherry_AK
Reactions:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:20 pm

Sherry_AK wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:17 pm Thanks so much for this! I just assumed it was a function not supported by Chrome and didn't investigate further.

Sherry
Well I don't know how I managed to get this response here. Obviously I meant to respond to the thread re Chrome. Oops!

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:19 pm

Edit: Oops, that's the method in the original post!

I discovered another way that saves a step. Press the Windows key + Shift + S for screen print. Then just drag a window around the area you want to save. It automatically goes to the clipboard saving the need to do any cropping. You still need another program to paste the image from the clipboard.
zeuspaul wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:28 pm I am using Windows 10. I hit print screen on the keyboard. Then I paste as new image in a free program called Gimp. Then I crop as desired and then export to a jpg or png for better quality. If I hit alt print screen I just get the active window.

Irfanview (also freeware) also works and is an easier program to use but isn't as capable as Gimp. In Irfanview after hitting print screen, go to edit/paste and then crop as desired.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:24 am

zeuspaul wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:19 pm
I discovered another way that saves a step. Press the Windows key + Shift + S for screen print. Then just drag a window around the area you want to save. It automatically goes to the clipboard saving the need to do any cropping. You still need another program to paste the image from the clipboard.
That's how I do it and then paste it on a Word page. Then you can right click on it and save it in one of several formats.

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:50 am

I use Windows key + Shift + S then paste in to Microsoft Paint or paint.net to resize. Gimp takes too long to load for me, the paint programs are much quicker.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:00 pm

rossomendblot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:50 am Gimp takes too long to load for me
Gimp is one of the many programs I leave open all of the time. All I have to do is click on it from the task bar and it is instant. I like Gimp because it has a lot of capability after a bit of a learning curve. Sometimes an image exceeds a full screen so two screen shots are necessary. Then I crop two screen shots and join them together. I actually find the print screen key from the keyboard a little quicker. Performing a crop is a simple task and one can zoom in and adjust the size before executing the command.

Return to “Tutorials”