Another rye bread - potato rye.

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Another rye bread - potato rye.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 am

I made a rye bread yesterday, that started out as bread sticks, but ended up as a larger piece of dough, so I made it into a loaf!

I started by putting some mashed potatoes (actually flakes, made into mashed - the only thing I use this for), but had to many for the amount I usually make (around 32 oz, or slightly less) for 8 bread sticks, to go on one sheet in the convection oven. Since I like potato in breads, I just had the idea to put some in these, but I should have weighed the potato, before and after adding the water, so I knew how much I had! Anyway, I ended up with a 41+oz piece of dough, so I ended up making a large loaf, in the clay pot shown here. It only has, in addition to the generous cup of potato, 1/4 c water + 1 tb yeast, 1 c WW flour, plus 1/3 c gluten, and the rest of the flour is rye (about 3 c). Not as much molasses as usual, so it's lighter, and a half tb salt, and the usual caraway, and a little nigella. I rose it twice, since it didn't get that usual preferment that I use for bread.

This bread was very much like an early favorite rye bread of mine - a potato rye with a cup of potato to 2 c ww and 4 c rye. The essential wheat gluten in this made it rise more, however.

I usually don't bake just one loaf, but this came at the right time, as my weather is getting hot again, so I don't want to heat things up again!
ImageA large loaf of potato rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked loaf of potato rye bread, about 41 oz by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Another rye bread - potato rye.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 pm

Today I made another batch of that potato rye, since it was quite cold and I just wanted to bake something. I only baked one large loaf, like last time.
ImagePotato rye, almost ready to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked potato rye. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:19 pm

I made another similar batch of potato rye these last two days, using a biga, started early Friday, and today, after dinner, I finished making the bread. It has almost 50% rye, plus about 1/3 c gluten, to make up for the high rye to WW ratio. A little to late to try it, but it smells fantastic baking (as always), and that biga smelled nice and sour, after fermenting half the day at room temperature, then in the fridge for another day plus a little.
ImagePotato rye, ready for the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePotato rye bread, just out of the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePotato rye bread, cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:29 am

It's driving me batty they don't have rye flour in the store.
They used to but not anymore.
Everywhere I look it's not available or higher than a cats back.
I used to keep this stuff on hand all the time.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:32 pm

Yesterday, early on, I made a new batch of buttermilk, and had some milk and old buttermilk left (always have that from the 1/2 gal), so I made some rye bread - another potato rye. Not what I usually use for the liquid, but it works well! Started with a sponge with the BM and rye, in between garden jobs, and later I continued with it, and even later, finished the bread, in between separating all that garlic! With about 60:40 of WW to rye flour, I put 1 1/2 c mashed potatoes in this, and 1/4 c gluten, which made it very moist and it rose very well, for so much rye. More dough than my usual 4 lbs, so I used the 2 lb pan and the clay pan, for about a 43 oz loaf, which went into the freezer. The other, for more sandwiches.
ImagePotato Rye bread, starting to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePotato Rye bread, finished and cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:01 pm

More potato rye bread, just one loaf this time. Good day to bake, as it's a little cooler today, and will be warmer tomorrow, for sandwiches.
ImagePotato rye dough, ready to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye dough, almost ready to bake, waiting for oven to heat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePotato Rye bread, cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:33 am

More rye bread! I had to use the last 1¼ c of rye flour, so I'll have to grind some more. I only made one loaf again, as my freezer is getting packed, with all that butter for the cookies! I made it with a cup of mashed potato, plus some WW flour, and only a third or a half cup of unbleached, for when it was moist at the end. I also used about 10 oz of yogurt in the end of a jar - something I don't use often, but gave it that tang that buttermilk usually gives. The overnight sponge helps that, too.
ImageMore rye bread - I have to grind more rye flour now! Probably outside tomorrow, so the dust will stay out. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:03 pm

I baked a loaf of potato WW/rye bread today, in between making the cookie dough, which I started with a sponge last night.

ImageA loaf of potato WW rye bread, made while making some more logs of cookie dough today. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:02 pm

Another loaf of potato rye, which I started a couple days ago. I don't like to make those usual dishes I make, loaded with onions, garlic, and spices when I'm preparing those cookies, since the aromas can permeate, and sandwiches are something good to have around, along with some greens around, along with some fruits. As soon as the cookies are out of the way, I can get back to my usual cooking.
ImageAnother loaf of potato rye, this loaf a larger one in that clay pan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 pm

About 3 days ago I started some rye bread, again, this time, adding a cup of mashed potatoes to 1½ c rye flour, 1 c water, 1 tb caraway, and 1 tb yeast, and let it ferment, this time for the full 3 days. Today I continued with it, and ended up with a slightly larger loaf, in addition to the 2 lb loaf, due to the mashed potatoes. I figured this last "cool" day would be the best day to bake more bread, given the heat that is forecast.
Image33 and 43 oz loaves of potato rye bread, ready to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked potato rye bread, started 3 days earlier. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “The Bakery”