Tomatoes Liking Cooler Temps!

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tomatoes Liking Cooler Temps!

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:13 am

We've been having cloudy days with actual rain falling most afternoons and temps in the mid 80's. I took down about half of the garden tomatoes this past week, leaving just Fish Lake Oxheart, Amana Orange and six dwarf plants, all from MMMM seeds. Gone is the shade cloth as well as the sheets that shaded the buckets.

All six remaining dwarf plants (Adelaide Festival was pulled up earlier) are flowering again but only several are setting tomatoes so far. Pink Passion has a few more starting. Among the dwarfs it produced the best during the summer heat. Eventually it dwindled off too but seems to be in recovery.

Rosella Crimson is really going to town and is the happiest of the five dwarfs!

The Rosella Crimson and Pink Passion will be keepers for next year. The Rosella Purple set few fruit not only for me but also to a friend in the Baltimore area with whom I shared some seeds. Shady Lady, Sweet Scarlet, Adelaide Festival were all sparsely productive too so those four have been voted off the island for next year.

EM-Champion is loaded with flowers. It's one of the wispy foliage tomatoes which seem to really disliked the summer heat here, only producing a few fruit. Maybe with cooler weather some of these flowers will actually make tomatoes. We'll see. I'm thinking it too won't be back next year.

Fish Lake Oxheart is one of two remaining large plants left in the garden row. It too is another wispy foliage tomato and refused to produce in the summer heat but made some nice tomatoes early in the season and is setting more now, about four at last count. The plant is pretty stripped down now so it's not a pretty sight. :)

Fish lake and Amana Orange have earned a re-try next year when all of these garden pots move to a new row set up next to the others by the house, an area which receives some afternoon shade.

Return to “The Gallery”