Trying to start curry tree cuttings, this time.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Trying to start curry tree cuttings, this time.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:55 pm

I didn't have great luck with those plants I started from seeds - they just sat there, after getting to 3-4 inches, and eventually gave up.

I went on YouTube and tried some cuttings shortly after that, but got nothing. I had to trim that plant, as it was just getting too large! So I went on YouTube again, and looked at a bunch of them, and not all were touting using the very thick, so called hardwood cuttings - some called for cuttings farther up on the stem, most saying "still flexible", but not too soft, so about the diameter of a pencil, and some used a little smaller. And a couple started them like I do with lemongrass - just stick them in water! Most called for rooting hormone, but a couple, again, just used turmeric powder. So I cut 3 long stems, and used the different thicknesses, including a couple tops, leaving just a few small leaves - something one person did. So overall, I have 9 cuttings - 2 in water, 3 in turmeric, and 4 in root-tone. Here are the ones in the soil mix. The ones in water are one thick, and one thin one.
ImageStarting (hopefully) curry tree cuttings, 3 dipped in turmeric, 4 in rooting powder. 2 more in water, in kitchen. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All those curry leaves (and I might trim more in the morning) I'll take over to the Indian market tomorrow. Haven't been there in a long time, and he'll know what I have!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Herbs”