Need Watermelon Suggestion

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Need Watermelon Suggestion

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:26 pm

I just picked the second Stone Mountain watermelon two days ago. Oh, so very sweet! But so very seedy. :o I can't believe how many seeds there are in that melon. It's my first time growing it but I'm looking for suggestions for an OP alternative to grow for next year. It does have one saving grace though and that's a very thick rind perfect for making pickled watermelon rind. Did that this afternoon. :)

I didn't have much luck with Crimson Sweet a few years ago but that might have been my doing and not the variety. I've seen Black Tail Mountain in the catalogs but wonder if it will do down here. "One of the earliest watermelons we know of, superb for the north, but it also grows well in heat and drought." I've been bitten before by descriptions like that. 'Tain't always so.

So.... any suggestions on small watermelons that have done good for you?

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Re: Need Watermelon Suggestion

Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:01 pm

I have always liked the Black Diamond. Some seeds, but not overly seedy. Open pollinated. One of the best for Watermelon Rind Pickles.

https://www.thespruce.com/black-diamond ... de-5195320

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:12 pm

Sangria is a hybrid, but an old one. It was my grandparent's favorite to grow.

Greenvillian
Reactions:

Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:39 pm

Crimson Sweet is my favorite, but I've had tremendous success with Sugar Baby. It's wildly productive in my garden and as long as you don't get too much rain, it sweetens up nicely. Have given away many this year and I have heard nothing but glowing reviews from the recipients.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:16 pm

Santo Domingo Winter is the least seedy seeded watermelon I know about (but please refrigerate that variety before eating, or you probably won't notice how good it really tastes--the same is not true for every watermelon, in the way that I mean).

My advice is to consider the seed size and toughness, rather than just the seed count. Most watermelons have a lot of seeds, but when they're large, fibrous, rough, and numerous, it's a much different experience than when they're small, smooth, and easy to chew.

Another issue you might encounter is attempting to grow large-fruited varieties, when they don't turn out to be large. These tend to be extra seedy, especially if they have giant seeds.

I suggest avoiding white-seeded watermelons (like Orangeglo, Ledmon, and Wondermelon), and looking for watermelons with small, pure black (not mottled, nor dark brown) seeds; pure black seeds tend to be very small compared white seeds, and most other colors; small seeds mean they take up less space, and leave more room for the meat.

Some black-seeded varieties that I've tried are these:
- King Winter
- Winter Queen
- Wintermelon
- Navajo Winter

If you're into yellow-fleshed watermelons, I suspect these have black seeds (but pictures can be deceiving):
- Tohono O'odham Yellow-meated
- Janosik
- Desert King

Some of the best-tasting watermelons are chalk full of huge seeds, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”