Can you help me identify these varieties?

Everything About Tomatoes
Frosti
Reactions:

Can you help me identify these varieties?

Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:21 am

Hey there,
this season the top 2 among the smaller tomatoes were both upstream seed mix-ups, so I'm not sure what variety they are.
Funnily enough both are potato leaf yellow pear/oval indeterminate tomatoes, despite coming from completely different sources.

My favorite small tomato this year was this one (right now referred to as "Großes Birnchen"):
grosses_birnchen_lq.jpg
grosses_birnchen_fruits_lq.jpg
grosses_birnchen_leaves_lq.jpg
This variety has huge leaves. The fruits have both a yellow interior as well as yellow skin. The shape is something between pear and oval. The first fruits weighed about 26g (0.9oz.). Something special about this variety is that the fruits fall to the floor if one leaves them too long on the plant, which wasn't a problem since most of them were eaten before they were even fully ripe :D. I got this plant as a seedling from a local nursery that gave away tomato plants since they had way too many. This plant was clearly mislabeled since it was the only potato leaf plant in the whole greenhouse. The label said "Goldene Königin" (German Golden Queen from 1884, which is supposedly a different variety than Livingston's Golden Queen from 1882). Originally I thought I had a natural mutation from regular leaf to potato leaf on my hands, but the fruits tell a different story.

My second favorite small tomato this year was this one (right now referred to as "Kleines Birnchen"):
kleines_birnchen_lq.jpg
kleines_birnchen_fruits_lq.jpg
Noteworthy about this variety is that it looks like the bottom is still a bit unripe when in fact it's perfectly ripe. The fruits have both a yellow interior as well as yellow skin. The shape is again something between pear and oval. The first fruits weighed about 13-15g (0.5oz.). This plant was for a long time the healthiest plant of them all. Lush green without even a hint of disease. The leaves are a lot smaller than those of Großes Birnchen. I got the seed for this plant from a sealed seed package (link to the Russian company's website) from a Russian variety called "Томат Медовая гроздь" (latinized: Tomat Medovaja grozdʹ; best translation I could find: Honey bunch; maybe a Russian speaker can offer a better translation?). This seed package was at least 5 years old. Inside I found seeds in a very sorry state. They were a lot darker than the rest and lacked that characteristic shape of a healthy tomato seed with a strong embryo inside. I sowed 10 seeds, 5 seeds that I believed to still be viable and 5 seeds that I thought were dead. Lo and behold, the healthy looking seeds germinated first and all 5 grew with good vigor. The sad looking seeds also ALL germinated albeit a lot later. Of these 5 only 1 grew with normal vigor, the rest grew very slowly. Why am I telling you this? Well, ALL of the sad looking seeds turned out to be potato leaf plants and all of the healthy looking seeds turned out to be regular leaf plants. None of the plants (as far as I know) turned out to match the variety on the seed package. But they were all either the potato leaf yellow pear type or the regular leaf tangerine cherry type, so I have a hard time believing that the seed company packaged f2 seed.

Both tomatoes have a very good but clearly distinct sweet and fruity flavor. Großes Birnchen is more intense than Kleines Birnchen.
These plants had no issues with BER this season.

According to to Tatiana's Tomatobase there are only 2 varieties that match this description: Medovaya Kaplya and Yellow Submarine.
I also found another variety called Solotaja Kaplja.

I'll buy all three varieties and compare them to my 2 mystery plants next season.

Does anyone have another idea what variety either of these 2 plants could be?

rgds
Frosti
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Can you help me identify these varieties?

Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm

The second plant (indeterminate PL yellow pear/plum shape) sounds like Medovaya Kaplya.

I can't help with any others, as I have a revulsion towards anything yellow that's pear.

Frosti
Reactions:

Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:32 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm I can't help with any others, as I have a revulsion towards anything yellow that's pear.
Don't know why, but small yellow tomatoes have always been my favorite kind :D.
The best big tomatoes are pink though ...

bower
Reactions:

Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:15 am

Medovaya Kaplya is certainly a great small yellow tomato. :)
Will just mention that Galinas Yellow is also PL with the fruity excellent taste, but the fruit are oval not at all pear shaped.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Labradors
Reactions:

Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 am

I grew Medovaya Kaplya last year and it had no taste, so no improvement over the bland Yellow Pear, although the tomatoes may have been bigger.

Linda

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:05 pm

When I've grown Medovaya Kaplya (tr. Honey Drop), it was very sweet with a very simple flavor. The leaves weren't huge. They were regular size for a non-beefsteak PL plant. They didn't have anything unusual about the way they ripened. The green color of the leaves was an especially nice-looking shade of green. The fruits are true yellow (not orange, nor orange-yellow), but unique among true yellows is they have a slight honey-type look to them.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:43 am

Weather is everything for the flavor of yellow cherries in my experience. Too much rain and the sweetest one year is bland the next. So flavor may not be the most accurate way to identify.

Frosti
Reactions:

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:43 am

Bower wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:15 am Medovaya Kaplya is certainly a great small yellow tomato. :)
Will just mention that Galinas Yellow is also PL with the fruity excellent taste, but the fruit are oval not at all pear shaped.
Thanks for the mention, but I just checked the tomatobase and the shape definitely doesn't match.

Frosti
Reactions:

Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:40 am

Just a small update:
The yellow pear experiment has started.
I want to achieve 2 goals with this:
1. Are my two potato leaf yellow pears part of the established varieties, or are they unknown to the larger tomato enthusiast community.
2. Which of the yellow pears tastes best. I know some of you hate yellow pears with a passion, but I was very happy with the two plants last year. I've never tried the regular yellow pear though.

Same conditions for all the plants. Family photo :D
From left to right:

"Großes Birnchen"
Solotaja Kaplja
Yellow Submarine
Yellow Pear
Medovaya Kaplya
"Kleines Birnchen"
[attachment=0]051414E6-3A32-42FE-A71A-DD2F3DFA3D57.jpeg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 am

Frosti wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:40 am Just a small update:
The yellow pear experiment has started.
I want to achieve 2 goals with this:
1. Are my two potato leaf yellow pears part of the established varieties, or are they unknown to the larger tomato enthusiast community.
2. Which of the yellow pears tastes best. I know some of you hate yellow pears with a passion, but I was very happy with the two plants last year. I've never tried the regular yellow pear though.

Same conditions for all the plants. Family photo :D
From left to right:

"Großes Birnchen"
Solotaja Kaplja
Yellow Submarine
Yellow Pear
Medovaya Kaplya
"Kleines Birnchen"
051414E6-3A32-42FE-A71A-DD2F3DFA3D57.jpeg
"Family photo"

Yellow Pear is that crazy uncle that everyone DOES talk about.

Frosti
Reactions:

Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:39 am

Won't be too long until I can taste test the varieties. All the PL varieties are of a very similar plant height. The RL yellow pear is a much more vigorous plant though.
B1B66DB0-82EF-4976-AC83-68A7B32DE9F8.jpeg

Frosti
Reactions:

Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:07 am

Unfortunately the weather was a bit uncooperative, so I wasn't able to compare the varieties under good conditions. I believe both of the unidentified varieties differ in taste ("großes Birnchen" and "kleines Birnchen") and size (kleines Birnchen) from the other varieties. I enjoyed "großes Birnchen" the most before the weather turned bad. Solotaja Kaplja, Yellow Submarine and Medovaya Kaplya were extremely similar, both in size and taste (good but not amazing). But the weather was too bad to conclude that they are the same variety. I did not enjoy the taste of the RL Yellow Pear. This plant was absolutely enormous, easily twice the size of the other plants. The fruits had a distinct bottle shape but they were rather small.

I'll be growing "großes Birnchen" again next year.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:40 am

@Frosti That was a good experiment to compare these varieties and that you identified your favorite tomato amongst them. Weather is such an important factor in how our tomatoes grow as well as taste.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Tomato Talk”