sweet fall was sweeeeet

rxkeith
Reactions:

sweet fall was sweeeeet

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:52 pm

we baked our first sweet fall winter squash this afternoon, and half of it is now consumed by the three of us.
it was very good. sweet golden orange flesh, a little salt, and butter, mmmmm.
this one came from sandhill preservation. seeds had been his freezer for awhile before he pulled them out.
it is a hubbard type squash. the skin is a salmon pink color. shaped like an almond. i got three squash in the 10lb range.
it was grown semi isolated in my wifes garden separated by about a hundred feet from the main garden where the other
squash were at, so seeds might be true. i am saving them. sweet fall is a winner.

keith

ddsack
Reactions:

Re: sweet fall was sweeeeet

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:26 pm

Sweet Fall sounds like one I should try. Will put it on my list for next year.

I got my butternut squash seeds started too late this spring, and I don't think many squash will be mature and hard enough for good storage. We ate one last night, it was sweet and nice enough when doctored up with butter, salt and a bit of brown sugar, but did not have that mature flavor or texture. They are not going to get any bigger due to cold weather setting in, some still have faint green lines on them, not all flat yellow. I should do a mass roasting in the oven, and freeze as many containers as I have room for if I want to be sure of squash later this winter. Learned my lesson not to procrastinate starting the squash seedlings early.

Return to “Squash”