Another new bread - a Rosemary Potato whole grain bread

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Another new bread - a Rosemary Potato whole grain bread

Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:14 am

I baked an unusual loaf of bread late last night - a Rosemary Potato Whole Grain Bread. I based this on a recipe that was just WW flour, plus the mashed potato, but a couple of days ago I made a sort of a biga, with some oat and sorghum flours, plus some buttermilk (which I used for the later liquid in the bread) and a small amount of yeast, which eventually rose very well, and smelled very good fermented. It smelled like I used beer in the bread, when I took the pan out of the oven! It has 2 tb of chopped rosemary - more than any rosemary bread I have made before, though I don't know how it will taste yet.
The dough wasn't quite elastic enough just after the KA kneading, for 8 minutes, but after the 3 turns it got very elastic - I knew that 1/4 c gluten would make up for the 1 1/2 c of the two non-gluten flours.
ImageA biga, for a large loaf of bread, started with some oat and sorghum flours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRosemary whole grain bread, finished with the kneading. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRosemary whole grain bread, after 3rd turning, ready to do the final rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAfter about 95 minutes rise, ready to punch down. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageReady to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRosemary whole grain bread, just out of the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBread out of the pan, cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “The Bakery”