Fall Strawberry Plants Anyone?

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Re: Fall Strawberry Plants Anyone?

Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:07 pm

Wildcat82 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:24 pm
Uncle_Feist wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 pm Late to the discussion but Seascape is an absolute dandy I've been growing since 2018. If you haven't already grown it, it's a must try!
What is your location? Have you tried any other day neutral varieties? They have some strawberry farms in Poteet Texas and last year I sampled Sweet Ann, Cabrillo, Seascape, Monterey, along with some June bearing varieties like Chandler, Ruby June, and Fronteras. I grew Festival in my garden though mites destroyed most of the plants. Me and my daughter thought Albion, Ruby June and Festival were they best tasting out of all of them.
I'm located in Kentucky. Over the years I've grown all of the older standard June bearing varieties and also grew tribute and Tristar just after they were released. The 2 day nutrals didn't impress me in any way. Erliglo was my favorite of all tried until Seascape. Only fault with erliglo was the fast decline in fruit size.

I get a massive, fragrant harvest from Seascape produced on large healthy plants that produce over one of the longest periods I have ever seen in any strawberry. The flavor definitely lags a little at the beginning of production, but that really shines as season progresses and days get longer. The fruit is blood red all the way through, and one of the easiest berries to clean I've came across.

Texgal
Reactions:

Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:00 am

@Wildcat82 check out Hoss Tools - my order is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Looks like they still have some for sale.

https://hosstools.com/product/strawberr ... d-organic/
~ Emmie ~

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:05 am

Texgal wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:00 am @Wildcat82 check out Hoss Tools - my order is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Looks like they still have some for sale.

https://hosstools.com/product/strawberr ... d-organic/
Thanks for the tip. I've planted Chandlers before but wasn't real impressed with the flavor. Maybe they do better in your location. Post your opinion on their flavor this next spring. I'm curious what you think.

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”