BEES! OUCH!

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Sue_CT
Reactions:

BEES! OUCH!

Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:11 pm

So I have bees nest in the outside corner of a basement window going up under the siding. I did not know it was there but one gave his life to let me know when I sat on the ground about 4-5 feet away. It is a very active hive, and when I looked in the basement there were dead bees all over the floor. A couple in a ceiling light and one crawling around inside that window. Need to call an exterminator but can anyone identify if these are "good" bees that might be able to be re-homed or not? Either way, they gotta go. But if I need to get someone out who can move them instead of Nuking them, I will at least try to do that. They are small to medium sized bees. I didn't see any large ones like the yellow jackets you see around picnic areas and stuff.

hopefully, you can click on the photo and enlarge it.

ImageUntitled

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: BEES! OUCH!

Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:36 pm

OK from I see online, only honey bees will be re-homed, and this does not look like a honey bee. I know it is a pollinator, because I see it on the flowers, but I don't think they will be able to be saved. I suspect they need to be nuked. Damn.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:48 pm

@Sue_CT I would agree that it doesn't look like a honey bee, more like a wasp or yellow jacket. Once you get the exterminator out or nuke them yourself, you definitely want to investigate where they are getting access to your house and seal that entry point, as they will probably return.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:59 pm

Yeah, it's a yellow jacket.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:00 pm

I can see where they are entering. Just outside the basement window, up under the siding of the house. The nest must be in the wall the window is in. Bees can always get into windows, at leat all of mine. There are drainage holes in the windows that water can drain out of, and they crawl right through it. I have blocked them up in some upstairs windows because wasps were coming in too.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:41 pm

Yellowjacket wasp, looks like. They are nasty, no fun.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:08 am

I once sprayed a wasp in the bathroom only to find out it was ether not bug spray. :shock:
I couldn't get out of there fast enough. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:45 am

Yellowjackets are pretty active in the fall. It's usually the only time I see them. I keep a spray bottle of soapy water on the porch if anything tries to start a nest on the wall or under the porch table. Repeated blasts of that will knock down a wasp or whatever to where my foot can finish the job. But for the size of your problem, that's a job for an exterminator. Don't worry.... there are plenty more yellowjackets around. :)

Return to “General Discussion”