turned out to be a decent year for peppers

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
rxkeith
Reactions:

turned out to be a decent year for peppers

Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:46 pm

after the summer we had with very inconsistent heat, that put many things way behind,
the peppers finally started to produce. i ended up picking two vial boxes full plus a five gallon bucket
of peppers before a frost warning. i also picked more peppers about two weeks after just before the killing frost
a few days ago. most peppers were still in green stage, so there are just a few varieties i was able to save seed from.
most of those were from the back of the truck garden. there will be plenty of franks, and zupa seeds going to the swap
along with indian jwahl (indian finger), and grandpas home.

i don't think i have ever been able to get a large bell type pepper to ripen enough to save seeds from.
i get the size, but by late september, early october i get the frost, and its game over. i am going to have
to try putting a yolo wonder, ozark giant, staddons select or some other bell type pepper in the truck, so i
can move them in doors in the fall in an attempt to get ripe peppers. that will be a next year job.
we have been chopping peppers each day, and bagging them for the freezer.

keith

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Re: turned out to be a decent year for peppers

Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:06 am

I have the same problem. Most of my bells I do not get seeds from. I did get some Jupiter seeds this year as it ripened mid-season for me. I think I need to grow more than one plant and plan ahead to keep some fruit to save seeds from.

Maybe I need to start them earlier when I start my hot peppers. Normally I start my C.annuum peppers 4 to 6 weeks after my hot peppers. Will test it next season.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: turned out to be a decent year for peppers

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:12 pm

I grew King of the North this year. It is not a really big bell, but it was a bell and ripened just as quick as my other romani and other sweet peppers.

It was so hot and dry for a while that there was a gap in the production here. I still have a lot just starting to color up.

Return to “The Pepper Patch”