How Do You Know When...?

GoDawgs
Reactions:

How Do You Know When...?

Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:30 am

How do you know when garlic has been planted?

You follow the paper trail. :)

I also planted the bulbils. They were about 3/8" wide when planted last fall and were 3/4" wide when dug up this spring. I wonder how much they'll grow this time.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: How Do You Know When...?

Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:30 am

Those papers do stick around. It makes me laugh when I find them in March when I start looking over the gardens again. I do the baking soda soak and peel mine right into a cup of alcohol. The papers are heavy and slick and I leave them in the pile after peeling, and about a quarter are still there after 3-4 months of cold.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:55 pm

When you see some guy wearing chest waders and his duck hunting fleece, working the rows and laying plastic in the last hour of light, and then squatting down and planting with a little shovel for an hour into darkness with no flashlight. And then two wheelbarrows of mulch over the holes. Then you know the garlic was planted. Finally.

I figured I better get it in because it is gonna turn cold tomorrow night and the only time I see open is on Christmas.

I used two whole double rows again. This year it was peas then the 3rd corn block. When the garlic comes out in July, cole crops will go in.
01.JPG
02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:58 pm

Love it! It's IN! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:27 pm

I didn't have a paper trail this year. Followed some directions from Keene's. Separated the cloves, picked out enuff of the biggest ones, and did a presoak in water and MG. Forget how long, few hours, maybe overnite, then rinsed and took the bowl of wet cloves to the garden and planted. 9" apart. Have grown several varieties and settled on Music and Chesnok Red. Chesnok is Russian for Garlic I have been told by someone from that part of the world. Love the flavor of it over Music, but love those big easy to peal cloves of Music.

Return to “Garlic”