SNFLA 2022 grow out report

Everything About Tomatoes
Yak54
Reactions:

SNFLA 2022 grow out report

Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:40 pm

OK I'm trying to get some info on this variety and wondered if there was anyone who grew it in 2022 and what they thought of it. :)

Dan
Dan

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: SNFLA 2022 grow out report

Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:56 pm

Make sure you read the last sentence.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php ... stcount=10

It originated with me, I've been growing it for more than a decade. If you want more details, just ask.

Yak54
Reactions:

Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Yes Sir--The seeds I have came from you. I didn't have room for them this year but I'm thinking of making room for them next season. I know they are a pink beefsteak which I have a preference for but I'm trying to get an idea of their size, productivity and taste on a 1-10 scale. Also leaf type and general ability to fend off disease.

Dan
Dan

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:51 pm

Size, for me, was almost always under a pound, 10-14 ounces mostly. Others reported 20 oz fruit.

Productivity was average, year to year, without the low and high swings, like many other varieties that I trial.

Taste on a scale of 1-10, is a rare 9+, for me. Unlike most pink beefsteaks, this tomato is not sweet. Nor is it tart, as I find it a near perfect balance of in-between. To my taste buds, tomatoes like SOTW and Brandywine Sudduth also taste balanced, but I taste the sweet and tart at the same time. With SNFLA I taste neither the sweet nor the tart. I hope that helps.

Leaf type is regular leaf.

I, and some others, observe that it appears to fend off disease somewhat above average. This may be due to its habit of wanting to grow straight up, and stay fairly narrow. Much of the disease in my plants appears to come from the soil splashing upwards on the leaves with heavy rain and wind. It is always the tallest tomato plant in my garden.

And, what sets it apart other than the flavor, is the texture. The overall meatiest tomato that I've grown, which can be variable from only a single locule, up to several ( like other very meaty beefsteaks), this tomato is also firm, but not hard.

Yak54
Reactions:

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:15 pm

OK then. Thanks for your help with this. I'll have to set aside a grow bag for one of these plants next season. It doesn't sound like this variety has been grown by too many of us here on TJ. But hopefully next season I can add my 2 cents. :)

Dan
Dan

Shortcut Slim
Reactions:

Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:36 pm

I've been meaning to ask about seed availability of SNFLA several times. I had the opportunity to trial these in the Philippines probably 2013-14 or something like that. SNFLA set fruit like craaaazy,but the resultant fruits were bland in flavor unfortunately. I noticed this over and over again when trying different varieties sad to say. Some were very stingy in setting fruit,many were bland,and only a couple yielded fruit of any quality. I did get a few Cowlick which were quite good although yield was awful...Anna Russian did fairly well too. Wes however loved it there and was first to fruit and flavor/texture was great. I now grow Wes without fail.

Many of those that didn't do well in the the PI,have done wonderfully here in S. Oregon.

Sorry to have wandered off...I've noticed it happening more and more often as I age. :)

Yak54
Reactions:

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:42 pm

Probably the best person to talk to about SNFLA is our friend Tormato !
Dan

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:17 pm

Shortcut Slim wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:36 pm I've been meaning to ask about seed availability of SNFLA several times. I had the opportunity to trial these in the Philippines probably 2013-14 or something like that. SNFLA set fruit like craaaazy,but the resultant fruits were bland in flavor unfortunately. I noticed this over and over again when trying different varieties sad to say. Some were very stingy in setting fruit,many were bland,and only a couple yielded fruit of any quality. I did get a few Cowlick which were quite good although yield was awful...Anna Russian did fairly well too. Wes however loved it there and was first to fruit and flavor/texture was great. I now grow Wes without fail.

Many of those that didn't do well in the the PI,have done wonderfully here in S. Oregon.

Sorry to have wandered off...I've noticed it happening more and more often as I age. :)
Wandered off? Are you still in S. Oregon?

PM me a mailing address for seeds. And, if there is anything else you're looking for, especially in the MMMM listings, just ask.

I do remember sending SNFLA, along with heat tolerant carrots, to someone in the PI, many years ago.

Shortcut Slim
Reactions:

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:27 pm

I wandered off the subject is what I was referring to. I get off topic as my mind "ponders, and then wanders"off. :)

I'm still in S Oregon in spite of my pleadings to go back..@Tormato. and yes that was probably me you sent to in the PI,but through friends who would lovingly send us "Care Packages from home" on the odd occasion.

Return to “Tomato Talk”